Thomas Zimmer Profile picture
Jan 20, 2022 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
This is a bizarre attack by Politico’s chief Europe correspondent on @ardenthistorian’s book about the Christian Right: It completely distorts what the book does, even alleging fraud, which is utterly shameful. A bad-faith hit job of the worst kind. “Journalism” this ain’t.
The book is not beyond reproach, none ever is. But @ardenthistorian’s main arguments are in line with the latest scholarship by U.S. historians, political scientists, and sociologists - if that’s proof of “anti-American sentiment,” then I guess those disciplines are all guilty?
Don’t believe me? That’s fine. But you know, you should be expected to have done at least some of the reading - I suggest starting with the latest work by people like Kristin Kobes Du Mez, Anthea Butler, or Robert P. Jones. Are they all just selling anti-American distortions? Hm.
This whole chimera of “pro-Americanism” or “anti-Americanism” is useless. Those are ideological terms, intended to (de-)legitimize the enemy, with little substantive value. The sharpest critique of the American Right comes from American scholars and observers. Now what?
The substantive deficiencies of Karnitschnig’s critique are glaring. But they don’t explain the nastiness on display here. I’m not going to speculate about what else is animating this assault, but let’s not pretend this in anything but an aggressive character assassination.
This isn’t a serious critique, it’s certainly not intended to stimulate a substantive debate, and it’s not journalism by any reasonable definition. A terrible look for Politico - and for anyone applauding this kind of uninformed and / or disingenuous hit job.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Thomas Zimmer

Thomas Zimmer Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @tzimmer_history

Jul 16
I got to talk to @MollyJongFast about “Project 2025.”

The radical Right wasn’t ready for Trump’s first presidency. In 2025, they will be.

What should people know about these plans for an authoritarian takeover of government? Some thoughts:

🧵1/

thomaszimmer.substack.com/p/what-makes-p…

Screenshot of the third part of a series about “Project 2025” for my “Democracy Americana” newsletter: “What Makes ‘Project 2025’ So Dangerous: Will the Right be able to implement these radical plans? Is Trump on board? What happened to traditional conservatism? Let’s tackle some of the key questions surrounding ‘Project 2025’”
There has been a ton of attention lately for Project 2025, the Heritage Foundation-led planning operation for a more efficient, more ruthless rightwing regime - peaking in reaction to Trump pretending he doesn’t know anything about it, which is an obvious, brazen lie. 2/
Public attention is necessary: In a very real sense, these plans are on the ballot in November. However, it’s also turned “Project 2025” into a bit of a catchall term - when we should be precise about what it tells us about Trump’s role and about the Right more broadly. 3/
Read 17 tweets
Jul 10
Allies Against Democracy: Trump and Project 2025

Trump is not the mastermind behind Project 2025. It’s worse: The rightwing establishment has radicalized to the point where their plans are entirely in line with his vengeful desires.

My new piece (link in bio):

🧵1/ Screenshot of my latest “Democracy Americana” newsletter: “Allies Against Democracy: Trump and Project 2025 - Trump is not the mastermind behind Project 2025. It’s worse: The rightwing establishment has radicalized to the point where their plans are entirely in line with his vengeful desires”
I wrote about the relationship between Trump and Project 2025, between the inner circle of MAGA world on the one hand and the institutional and intellectual elites of American conservatism on the other: A radicalizing alliance against democratic pluralism. 2/
Donald Trump lied when he declared he had nothing to do with Project 2025 and knew no one involved in the operation. Not exactly shocking, I know. But there is something more interesting and revealing going on here than just habitual lying. 3/
Read 18 tweets
Jul 3
Kevin Roberts believes he’s a noble defender of “real America” against a totalitarian “woke,” “globalist” assault from without and within.

“Project 2025” is his declaration of war on multiracial pluralism.

I wrote about his extremist worldview here:
1/
thomaszimmer.substack.com/p/project-2025…

Screenshot of my “Democracy Americana” newsletter: “Project 2025” Promises Revenge, Oppression, and Autocratic Rule: The Right’s plans for a return to power are driven by a radicalizing siege mentality and a desperate desire to restore dominance.
I took a deep dive into the “Promise to America” Heritage president Kevin Roberts has offered in his foreword to the "Project 2025" report: It perfectly captures the siege mentality, self-victimization, and grievance-driven lust for revenge that are fueling the Right's plans. 2/
Kevin Roberts is not a moderate imposter who pretends to be hardcore so that he can blend in with the MAGAs because that is the direction the wind is blowing. He is a reactionary Catholic and part of the Religious Right – a true believer in the reactionary political project. 3/
Read 12 tweets
Jul 2
An argument I’m trying to make here is that a second Trump term would be worse not only because the radical Right would be better prepared, but also because they would be operating under much more favorable circumstances.

With a much more extreme Supreme Court, for instance.
Back in power, the radical Right could count on a reactionary supermajority on the Supreme Court - something they didn’t have during Trump’s first term.

Today’s disastrous, truly extreme immunity ruling should be an urgent reminder of what an absolute game-changer that is.
Additionally, this would not be the same Right that came to power in 2017. That starts with Trump himself. The idea that he has always been the same, just Trump being Trump, is massively misleading and obscures the rather drastic radicalization of the Right’s undisputed leader.
Read 5 tweets
Jun 26
ICYMI – I got to discuss “Project 2025” with @chrislhayes:

The radical Right wasn’t ready for Trump’s first presidency. In 2025, they will be.

What should people know about these radical plans for an authoritarian takeover of government?

🧵1/

podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/why…
I wrote a three-part series about the worldview of the people behind “Project 2025,” the policy agenda and detailed plans it has produced, and what all this tells us about the radicalization of the American right.

Some key takeaways: 2/

thomaszimmer.substack.com/p/what-project…
It is difficult to convey how much establishment conservatism has been taken over by anti-democratic extremism.

“Project 2025” is actually helpful in that sense: Rightwing leaders are maximally clear about the reactionary vision they want to impose on the country. 3/
Read 18 tweets
Jun 25
I got to talk to @chrislhayes about “Project 2025” on his #WITHpod

If you want more, I wrote a three-part series on the Right’s radical plans to use government as an authoritarian tool to impose a reactionary vision on America. Some thoughts:

🧵1/

thomaszimmer.substack.com/p/what-makes-p…

Screenshot of the third and final part of a series about “Project 2025” for my “Democracy Americana” newsletter: “What Makes ‘Project 2025’ So Dangerous: Will the Right be able to implement these radical plans? Is Trump on board? What happened to traditional conservatism? Let’s tackle some of the key questions surrounding ‘Project 2025’”
Part I focuses on the worldview of the people behind “Project 2025.”

They see themselves as noble defenders of “real America” against a totalitarian “woke,” “globalist” assault. “Project 2025” is their declaration of war on multiracial pluralism: 2/

thomaszimmer.substack.com/p/project-2025…
Screenshot of my “Democracy Americana” newsletter - Part 1 (of 3) of a series about “Project 2025”: “Project 2025” Promises Revenge, Oppression, and Autocratic Rule: The Right’s plans for a return to power are driven by a radicalizing siege mentality and a desperate desire to restore dominance.
In his foreword to the "Project 2025" report, Heritage Foundation president Kevin Roberts offers his “Promise to America”: It perfectly captures the escalating siege mentality, self-victimization, and grievance-driven lust for revenge that are fueling the Right's plans. 3/
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(