Kurt Phillips🧛‍♂️ Profile picture
Jan 23, 2022 36 tweets 13 min read Read on X
Thread: Artur Pawlowski and His Idea of "Freedom"

On Friday @StephanieCarvin, @AmarAmarasingam, and myself had an article published focused on a subset of the anti-lockdown/anti-vaxx effort who are motivated by far-right rhetoric. 1/

policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/janu…
While a great deal of the response was very supportive, we got some pushback by people who either didn't bother to read the article or who purposely mischaracterized it. 2/
Of some interest to me, Artur Pawlowski managed to find it and posted a link. The response of his supporters probably inadvertently from his standpoint confirmed what we wrote about regarding this subset. 3/
4/
Those newly familiar with Artur Pawlowski have likely become acquainted with him as a result of his anti-lockdown stance, (note, we've never truly been in a lockdown), anti-vaxx conspiracies, and histrionic comparison of health measures with communism/Nazism. 5/
Recently he has been promoting the trucker convoy that proports to be an effort to make Canada "free" from Covid mandates. (#TruckersForFreedom)

Pawlowski speaks a lot of freedom, but how much does he in fact support the freedom of Canadians whose values differ from his own? 10/
In fact Artur Pawlowski has a long history of extremism that predates his current "freedom fighter" image which calls into question his actual support for the freedoms that other Canadians enjoy that don't conform to his ideology. 11/

antihate.ca/timeline_hate_…
It might be of some interest that Pawlowski referring to individuals -- by-law officers, AHS, Calgary Police Service, etc -- as Communists and Nazis is nothing new. For example here he is in June 2017 making the came claim in reference to alleged anti-Christian persecution. 12/
And here he is in October 2017 after a mayoral forum. In this case he makes this claim because the media were not interested in speaking to the fringe mayoral candidate of his choice. 13/
We'll revisit these events again later, but I want to focus on when I first really started paying attention to Artur and his brother.

In June of 2017, Artur was a key speaker at a rally organized by hate group the Worldwide Coalition Against Islam. 14/
The first speaker was Joey Deluca who founded the hate group earlier that year. In this excerpt, while Deluca uses vile and dehumanizing language referring to refugees, immigrants, and Muslims, you can see Artur in the background preparing to speak himself (trigger warning). 15/
Even after this, while members of the III% militia stand in front and another member of WCAI holds a sign referring to "third world riff raff", Pawlowski still not only addresses the crowd, but further incites them further. 16/
As damning as this is, I find this video even more so in some ways.

Artur and Dawid, who routinely call by-law officers Nazis for enforcing rules against them, demands that the police enforce those same by-laws against their ideological opponents to silence them. 17/
They later demand the police arrest the counter-protesters claiming they were assaulted (they were not) in order to again silence them. 18/
Already we see that Artur has a very fluid understanding of what freedom means; that he and his supporters should have the unfettered right to act however they wish but that those who oppose them need to have the full force of the law brought down on them. 19/
But there is of course more.

Most people who were familiar with Artur and his brother before the pandemic were aware of their virulent anti-LGBTQ+ and anti-Muslim views.

From this July 16, 2017 clip, does it sound like he would afford them many freedoms? 20/
Or how about his anger that the former mayor of Calgary @nenshi, a practicing Muslim, would swear his oath on a Quran? Or that he supports Pride events, in this October 11, 2017 clip? 21/
22/
Getting back to the mayoral form from October 16, 2017, we see that Larry Heather is the fringe candidate Pawlowski is outraged the media wouldn't speak to. 23/
Here we see another erroneous comparison to totalitarian regimes with an added chilling allusion to violence against the media being the result.

He and his brother would go back to this time and again over the years. 24/
When the election occurred on October 23, 2017 and those he didn't support won, he attacked not only the "Muslim and homosexuals" but also Calgarians for not voting as he wished suggesting his support for democracy is very situational. 25/
This next part may require some context as there are three other individuals in the video.

Kevin Johnston. 26/

vice.com/en/article/5dg…
Sandra Solomon. 27/

cbc.ca/news/canada/to…
Rick Boswick. 28/

antihate.ca/far_right_cont…
Known for their performative stunts, the Pawlowski brothers, Johnston, Solomon, and Boswick protest at an ice cream shop in a mall because freedom I guess (clip from August 13, 2018)? 29/
Of course it was just another means of engaging in Islamophobic (and anti-LGBTQ+ as they berate children), but Dawid also indicates how little they actually care about freedom of expression when they don't support those views themselves. 30/
Dawid further shows how much contempt he has for freedom of expression in this clip from September 27, 2018 when he suggests a Canadian flag in pride colours should be illegal. 31/
It shouldn't be a surprise that Dawid doesn't like a lot of colour perhaps... (clip from October 20, 2019). 32/
...though it appears that there is at least one colour he likes more than the others. 33/
When you watch clips such as this from November 27, 2019, is there any question that the Pawlowski support for "freedom" is very specific? 35/
So, to conclude, make no mistake.

If the Pawlowski brothers or people like them actually HAD power, they would have no problem restricting the freedoms of people they don't agree with. 36/

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Kurt Phillips🧛‍♂️

Kurt Phillips🧛‍♂️ Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ARCCollective

Aug 8
1. By now I'm guessing that most of my Twitter followers are aware of the most recent threats against Trudeau and the subsequent of a suspect. I think there is an even more important story though related to the poisonous influence of social media

toronto.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-arrest-ma…
2. Dawid Zalewski was arrested for making death threats against the Prime Minister. The following video was posted to his second Facebook profile. Be warned that it may be triggering as it promotes graphic violence against the PM and others.
3. Zalewski is clearly not well, but I think would be wrong to dismissively call him "crazy" move on without further examination. There is a reason why he got to this point and I believe we can learn a great deal from his social media footprint.
Read 36 tweets
Aug 2
1. I’ve been enjoying my summer break and have not been paying a lick of attention to the Olympics. Until today however since Twitter has collectively lost the plot.
2. Earlier boxer Imane Khelif defeated her Italian opponent in the first round when Angela Carini quit after 45 seconds stating that she had never been hit so hard.

To be fair, I don’t enjoy being punched in the face either so I can at least sympathize with Carini.
3. Now a preliminary fight would never be important enough to make international news under normal circumstances however we are, as the saying goes, living in interesting times.
Read 39 tweets
Jul 25
1. Given what is happening in Jasper, these all seem to be especially relevant.

pressprogress.ca/albertas-ucp-g…
Read 8 tweets
Jun 25
1. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) was arrested in Calgary on an immigration warrant apparently. He may have since been released, though he has to turn in his passport and remain in southern Alberta.

I'd prefer that he be kicked out immediately.
2. Despite claiming to have been a "political prisoner" many of Yaxley-Lennon's criminal convictions his Islamophobic "activism" and a number of convictions since have had nothing to do with his political views.
3. In 2005, he was convicted assaulting a police officer who intervened during an argument Yaxley-Lennon was having with his then girlfriend.
Read 12 tweets
May 15
1/ It's been a while since I've done a thread here, but the recent focus on Pat King got me to wondering what was up with his own Salacious Crumb, Tyson "Freedom George" Billings.

cbc.ca/news/canada/ot…
2/ Last time I looked at Billings he was a part of the efforts to set up a permenant camp outside Ottawa so there could be daily protests, though the original plan involved surrounding the police and arresting politicians.

Suffice to say it didn't go anywhere.
3/ Billings and Ron Clark soon headed home, but they both soon got involved in other protests including the anti-carbon tax protests occurring in the province. The numbers at these events have been small but that hasn't stopped from politicians from courting the fringes it seems. Image
Read 37 tweets
Mar 26
1/ Though I'm not especially active these days, I'm still sometimes gobsmacked by some of the ridiculous (though sadly effective) rage farming by some on the right. Harrison Faulkner of "True North" is just a recent example of that. Image
2/ So a bit of background. Musical artist Karan Aujla won the 2024 TikTok Juno Fan Choice Award at the award ceremony this past weekend.

I think it was this weekend. Truth be told I don't pay a lot of attention to awards shows.

3/ It should be noted that Aujla has been in Canada for years emigrating as an orphan. He graduated from high school in Canada. The album was produced by a Canadian on a Canadian label.

He has made his home here.
Read 23 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(