Jeysundhar Profile picture
Feb 5, 2022 19 tweets 6 min read Read on X
Namaste Saarade Devi Kasmirapura Vasini!
Tvaam Aham Praarthaye Nityam Vidyaa Daanam Ca Dehi Me

I bow down to Sarada Devi, who resides in Kashmir!
I pray to you, Devi, please bestow upon me the gift of knowledge!

#VasantaPanchami
Muthuswami Dikshitar of the Carnatic Trinity, in his composition, Kalavati Kamalasana Yuvati, refers to Sarada Devi as
"Kasmira Vihara, Vara Sarada", once again establishing Sarada Devi worship in Kashmir.
Kalhana in his famous Rajatarangini, venerates the presence of Sarada Devi in Kashmir, as a Hamsa (Swan), in the lake on top of the Bheda hill.
Among the Sakti Peethas, Sarada Devi temple in Kashmir is where the right hand of Devi is supposed to have fallen.
Of all the references to Sarada Devi temple, I'd like to talk about the story from the Madhaviya Sankara Digvijayam.

The story of when the great Adi Sankara visited Kashmir.
Pic: Sankaracharya temple in Srinagar.
Travelling across the length of breadth of Bharatavarsha, Sankara establishes Peethas (seats of learning).

He enters Kashmir, the land of Sarada Devi!
There in the hallowed halls of the Sarada Devi temple is the Sarvajna Peetham, the seat, the throne of Omniscience, of all knowledge.

A throne! Can anyone walk in and occupy it?

No. It may be occupied only by one who is found worthy of it.
Sankara is told that the holy hall housing the Sarvajna Peetham can be entered through doorways in any of the 4 directions.

He is told that learned scholars have opened the doorways on the North, East and West sides

But the doorway on the South had remained shut.
Coming from Kaladi, Sankara feels the natural impulse to knock on the Southern door.

But not so fast! Not so easy!

What does Sankara see at the door?

Pic: Kaladi Sankara temple
At the door, Sankara sees venerable scholars, old and wise, wizened by age and wisdom, with millenia of knowledge amongst them.

But what do the scholars see?
The scholars see a young man, not even 30, his head shorn of hair, walking in the saffron robes of a monk.

"Hmph!", they grunt.
"What does he want with the Sarvajna Peetham?"
Little did they know that Sankara had already won over Mandana Misra and his wife Ubhayabharati in debates not too long ago.
But the challenge this time was different.
Sankara would have to debate not one Darsana (school of thought), but several of them, each convinced of the superiority of their Darsana.

And he would have to debate them all in succession.
Not one to be deterred by an intellectual challenge, Sankara faced them head on!

With Ma Sarada's blessings, his victory was certain.

But there's a twist!
All the scholars acknowledged Sankara's greatness and addressed him as the ocean of knowledge.

They invited him to ascend to the Sarvajna Peetham, the throne of Omniscience.

But... one challenger remained!
Wanting to test her beloved Sankara one more time, Sarada Devi challenged him Herself!

"Sankara! To ascend the Sarvajna Peetham, it is not sufficient for one to be just omniscient. He should be pure!

Are you?"
The details will take us into the story of King Amaruka. But let's keep it for another day.

Sankara replied, "Ma! With this body of mine, I have committed no sin!"
Convinced with the answer, Sarada Devi appeared and by Herself, took Sankara to the Sarvajna Peetham, seating him on the Throne of Omniscience.
I'd like to conclude this thread with a picture of the glorious Sarvajna Sarada Peetham, as it stands today.

Thank you for reading!

@threadreaderapp Please compile.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jeysundhar

Jeysundhar Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @jeysundhar_d

Sep 7
As we celebrate #VinayakaChaturthi today, I was contemplating on the Ganesa Ashtottara Shata Namavali, the 108 names of our #Ganesha

#GaneshChaturthi2024 #GaneshChaurthi
The 5th name in the Namavali addresses #Ganesh as Dvaimaturaya Namah - The one with the 2 mothers.

Wait a minute. Isn't Krishna the one with 2 mothers?

#GaneshChaturthiVishesh #GaneshChaturthi2024
Yes, and so is Ganesa.

How?

That's the story for this #Ganeshotsav
Read 10 tweets
Aug 26
On the occasion of #Janmashtami #Janmashtami2024 I'd like to talk about the 4 Kalyana Gunas of Bhagavan.

- Svamitvam
- Vatsalyam
- Sauseelyam &
- Saulabhyam

But, Bhagavan has infinite Kalyana Gunas.
Why these 4? #Thread #Krishna #krishnabirthday
Because, Andal captures these 4 Kalyana Gunas in the 4th Pasuram of Tiruppavai - Maayanai Mannu Vada Madurai Maindhane.

She begins by calling Krishna as the Mayan, who is the son of the Mathura in the north.
Krishna is Mathuradhipati, the Lord of Mathura, and the entire universe.

Did the Maayan not deploy His Maya and show Yashoda, the universe inside His mouth?

Naturally, He is our Svami and we are His Sampatti.

As always, paintings by our dear @keshav61 Image
Read 18 tweets
Jul 16
Reminds me of the case of the Pathur Nataraja, a Moorti that was smuggled out of India in 1976.

The venerable R Nagaswamy's testimony in a British court in 1986 played a major role in the case.

The testimony involved soil. How?

#Thread
Before we move ahead, this is the Pathur Nataraja.
Look at the magnificence of the Moorti and the Mandahasa playing on His lips. Image
The Indian side claimed that the Nataraja moorti had been buried in the soil at a particular place and when found, was smuggled out.

The Moorti still had soil sticking to it. +
Read 10 tweets
Jul 2
What are your thoughts when you see these 3 images in the tweet by @vedant_bangad?

Writing mine into a #thread.

The common theme among these 3 is that they all portray Nagas/Snakes.
Counter-clockwise
a. Kaliya
b. Sesha &
c. Vasuki during the Samudra Manthan. Image
a. The story of Kaliya is from the Bhagavata Purana and well-known.

He is driven away from his home in the island of Ramanaka.

By Garuda.

This is important because Garuda and his family play a role in the story of the other 2 Nagas as well.

So, what does Kaliya do?
Kaliya exits Ramanaka island and comes to live in Vrindavana, where Garuda cannot enter because of a curse.

But Kaliya does not stay idle.

Driven away from his home, his Ahamkaara needs an outlet.

So, what does he do? Image
Read 25 tweets
Jun 12
Not even getting into Panini.

If literacy came thanks to Ashoka, how is it that Kautilya, who served Ashoka's grandfather, wrote a full chapter on how to *write* royal writs (Sasanas)?

Thanks to @devduttmyth, a short #thread on the chapter on writing Sasanas from Arthasastra. Image
Kautilya begins the chapter by saying that the term Sasana is to be used only for royal writs.

Right at the outset, he stresses on the importance of Sasanas, that they are as important as treaties (Sandhi) and can lead to peace and war.
So, someone who is as qualified as a Minister(Amatya Sampadopetah)

He needs to:
know all customs
be good at composing(Sugrantha)
have good handwriting (Charvaksharo)
smart in reading (Lekha Vachana Samartha)

If there was no literacy, where would reading and writing come from?
Read 21 tweets
Jun 11
Pic 1: The Jivatma abandons the mirage of being Svatantra, realises its nature as the Paratantra Tatva, and seeks refuge in Bhagavat Paratantreeya.

The Jivatma attains the Bhagavat Seshatva Jnana. +
Pic 2: Having attained the Seshatva Jnana of Bhagavat Paratantreeya, Jivatma seeks the blessing of serving Paramatma, i.e. Bhagavat Kainkarya.
+ Image
In the process, Jivatma realises that Bhagavat Nama can make even stones float.

Thus, not only the Jivatma, but also Prakriti is subject to Bhagavat Paratantreeya.

After all, as the Kathopanishad says,
नित्योऽनित्यानां चेतनश्चेतनानाम्
एको बहूनां यो विदधाति कामान् + Image
Read 9 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(