Hello from Kyiv!
Even the Ukrainian drag queens love Black Santa!
It’s all love, baby!

Anyway, this how I spend my free time on a Thursday night in Kyiv:

Drinking champagne with Ukrainian drag queens.
Fun times in Kyiv!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Terrell Jermaine Starr 🇺🇦🌻🇵🇸✊🏾🇬🇪

Terrell Jermaine Starr 🇺🇦🌻🇵🇸✊🏾🇬🇪 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @terrelljstarr

Jan 12
I have an announcement:

With mainstream media dropping the ball on Gaza coverage and foreign affairs in general, I have a great foreign affairs newsletter called Black Diplomats that I’m asking you all to support. I’m providing original reporting and analysis from a Black perspective. Most importantly, I'm building a global community. Let me explain.

Newsletter  link: BlackDiplomats.newsImage
Most of you started following me for my work in Ukraine. I still live and report from there. But I want to expand my coverage to report on other underreported peoples of the world with an unapologetic Black voice. Palestinians in Gaza, people in Sudan and elsewhere need my compassionate reporting as well.

My newsletter will provide you access to them.

Please sign up to help me do just that: BlackDiplomats.news
I'm concerned that this 2024 election cycle won't have a prominent media space we can count on for regular foreign affairs news that challenges power and amplifies voices of peoples most impacted by Western hegemony.

That the big media outlets didn't livestream the hearing in which South Africa presented its genocide case against Israel should show you how one-sided their coverage is. I want to fill in that void.
Read 9 tweets
Jan 8
I see a lot of Black folks are offended by activists interrupting Biden’s speech at Mother Emanuel AME Church with calls for a ceasefire in Gaza.

My opinion: it was the perfect place, albeit a very complicated one. Let me explain.
First, you have to understand the genesis of why Biden picked Mother Emanuel, the location where white supremacist Dylann Roof killed 9 Black people dead and injured one.

It was at the time the deadliest mass shooting at a place of worship in U.S. history and is the deadliest mass shooting in South Carolina history.
I'm sure Biden picked this location, in part, because of the urgency of challenging Trump's white supremacist campaign has never been more important. Trump can easily become president and racism will become part of his domestic and foreign policy. Black people won him South Carolina in the 2020 primary and Black people will help him win in 2024.

We are his most important base and he is, honestly, the wall between Black folks and the Trumpian white supremacy that motivates the Dylann Roof's of the world to murder us.

It is a very appropriate campaign stop.
Read 10 tweets
Oct 11, 2023
As a Ukraine supporter, I'm happy Steve Scalise will be the GOP nominee for House Speaker because he has great politics.

As a Black man, I cannot be happy that a white nationalist who calls himself "David Duke without the baggage" will become one of the most important politicians in my country.

I'm sharing this with you to show what it means to advocate for Ukraine, but know that I have to accept that an extreme racist that rightly advocates for a foreign land undermines everything that empowers me be a full citizen of my country.

Such is the duality of being a Black/POC foreign policy professional.

Steve Scalise, if he is consistent with his voting record, will back Ukraine aid--and he should.

But this is the same man who has spoken out against granting Washington DC statehood, using racist talking points.

nymag.com/intelligencer/…
Steve Scalise spoke at a white nationalist convention of the European-American Unity and Rights Organization, which is full of racists and nazis.

As a Ukraine advocate, he is good for Ukraine.

As a Black man, I know Scalise hates me.

washingtonpost.com/politics/house…
Read 4 tweets
Oct 4, 2023
I never thought I'd be engaging a CODEPINK tweet about Ukraine, but I can't help it. So much of what these people say is so factually inaccurate or lacking any regional expertise that I can no longer help but respond.

Let's unpack this tweet.

🧵
1. Do you all notice that @codepink rarely, if ever, platforms UKRAINIANS when they talk about Ukraine? They claim to care about peace but never share the stage with Ukrainians to achieve that goal. And I also notice that they never come here.

I wonder why?
@codepink 2. Also, @codepink never talks about what Russia can do to bring peace. (which is get the fuck out of Ukraine) They never center Ukrainians who are experiencing genocide. They always center themselves.

I wonder why?
Read 15 tweets
Jul 3, 2023
Morning, Tymofiy. As a Black American reporter who has covered uprisings (“riots”) in the US and lives in Ukraine covering the war, I think I can help. We're supposed to meet in person (hope you can make time this week), but your tweet requires a thoughtful response, my friend🧵
My response is less about you directly and more about the huge disconnect between Ukrainians who insist that we understand Russian colonialism yet exercise little intellectual curiosity about white supremacy against POC globally.
I say this as someone who is a cultural ambassador and has facilitated cross cultural sessions between Ukrainian orgs and POC groups for the purposes of coalition building. I've experience covering “riots” and working in Ukraine (I’m here now) with Ukrainians.
Read 38 tweets
Jun 24, 2023
Thanks for this question, @jemelehill. I am here in Ukraine and provide a geopolitical analysis that should address the heart of your question.

First. This is a very complicated question. But in short, it depends if the U.S. could benefit.

I will explain in a short 🧵
For one, because this is a fluid situation, everything depends on how far Prighozin and his men will get towards Moscow. News reports suggest that he is calling off his march towards the Kremlin. This could change.

Bigger issue is Prigozhin had the nerve to try this, which shows there are cracks/pressure points from several directions. a. Politically with Russian elites b. fractures/divisions in state military apparatus c. potential gaps created in Ukraine theater that *could* be exploited.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(