AukeHoekstra Profile picture
Feb 12, 2022 14 tweets 7 min read Read on X
If you are in for some realistic antidote to climate anxiety, read this piece!

Sometimes you read something that you would like to be yours because it is so good. This new piece by @mattyglesias is an example. I have to admit I'm a bit jealous.
🧵
slowboring.com/p/people-need-…
You should read it yourself but some tidbits.

The premise of the story:
Improbably Apocalyptic *warnings* on global warming are often mistaken for *predictions*.
This leads people to suffer anxiety and grief.
The piece starts by describing people sinking deeper and deeper into depression because they start to believe what they see and read when doom scrolling. It's a bona fide health problem as the linked @nytimes piece by @EllenBarryNYT also proves.
Then @mattyglesias makes a point we should make more often: "If you say it’s not as bad as the risk of all of humanity being wiped out in a full-scale nuclear exchange or by a large comet, you’re now the guy who is minimizing climate change."
Well, it's really not *that* bad.
Next up: dire *warnings* are not *predictions*.

Most bad stuff you read are *warnings* of things that are very unlikely to happen. A good example are articles based on RCP8.5.
A while ago an intensive twitter discussion on RCP8.5 raged (I was very vocal but @MLiebreich was the pack leader and @hausfath, @Peters_Glen and @jritch provided scientific muscle) which taught us that this highly unlikely scenario (a warning) is often used as a prediction.
As @mattyglesias correctly concludes: "Indeed, the current projections of 2.2 or 2.7 degrees are closer to 1.5 degrees than to 4.4 degrees; we are more than halfway there. This is pretty good news!"

But many climate communicators hide this fact beneath Apocalyptic warnings.
Then he treats us to some "Cognitive behavioral therapy for climate anxiety".
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive…
CBT is the most effective way to treat anxiety and depression. An important part of it is challenging destructive habits and untrue beliefs with evidence.
One bummer he doesn't mention I want to get out of the way: we really are causing the sixth mass extinction of animals
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_…

But will your children die?
No. Their odds are better than yours have been.
Exhibit A: Daniel Swain, a climate scientist pointing out many popular doomer claims lack an empirical basis.
Exhibit B: climate scientist Brian O'Neill pointing out we have every reason to expect humans will be more healthy and live longer in the future and there is no Mad Max scenario in the IPCC report.
Like @mattyglesias I'm not comfortable with pointing out how other people should feel. But I love the way he puts it into perspective here:
For me it is simple: we have solutions for the problems we face. If we take the long view, applying the solutions will increase both our wealth and happiness.

So not mitigating climate change is a really stupid thing to do. I want to do the smart thing and be proud of myself.
But if you disagree and think people need the threat of personal extinction to get into action,
if you think it's ok to undermine the science by exaggerating,
you should still ask yourself if you want to cause so much suffering in terms of anxiety and depression.
/end

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with AukeHoekstra

AukeHoekstra Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AukeHoekstra

Jun 20
Cheap stationary batteries will pave the way for wind and solar in cheap and resilient energy grids. Unfortunately the @IEA is mispredicting it (again).

Thread based on a free substack article I just wrote.
aukehoekstra.substack.com/p/batteries-li…
Many of my followers know this picture: it visualizes how the IEA underestimates solar. Now I see basically the same problem in their new battery report.

The IEAs new battery report gives a lot of great info on batteries but also two predictions taken from their authoritative world energy outlook:
1) STEPS which is basically business as usual
2) NZE (Net Zero Emissions) which is aspirational
iea.org/reports/batter…
Read 11 tweets
Jun 16
Batteries: how cheap can they get?

I used the Sunday afternoot to describe how I think that dirt cheap batteries will completely transform our electricity grid, paving the way for solar and wind and replacing grid reinforcements with grid buffers
aukehoekstra.substack.com/p/batteries-ho…
This is something I'm working on for different government and grid operator projects, but I never realized just how cheap sodium batteries could become and how much of a game changer that will be.

So I used my Sunday evening to write this and would love your feedback!
First I look at the learning curve and then we see it is extremely predictable: every doubling of production has reduced prices by around 25%.

It's even steeper and more predictable than solar panels, the poster child of this type of learning curve.
(More details on substack.) Image
Read 15 tweets
Jun 5
Aaaand we have another winner of the "EVs and renewables can never happen because of material scarcety" sweepstake. I thought @pwrhungry was more serious. Let me explain why this is misleading bollox.
First of all, notice how his argument is mainly that Vaclav Smil says this and HE is an authority.

Why bother to write a substack that basically parrots someone else?

Because you don't really understand it yourself and needed to write another substack maybe?
I'm a bit tired of this because Bryce abuses Smil the same way most people who are against renewables abuse him. They emphasize this is a serious and revered figure that knows numbers. They make it about the messenger, not the argument.
Read 14 tweets
Jun 1
I wholeheartedly agree with @MazzucatoM that we should better evaluate tech companies contributions.

But the focus on energy use makes a mountain out of a molehill while we have bigger fish to fry.

I see computing as both a huge opportunity and an existential threat.
🧵
For me the focus on *how much electricity* an industry uses usually indicates an outdated focus.

We have to get rid of fossil fuels and the mantra is "electrify everything". Because electricity is the form of energy that is usually more efficient and that is greening rapidly.
Many people still can't wrap their heads around the fact that electricity from wind and solar is getting clean, abundant and relatively cheap while we have more than enough materials to make it happen.

IF you focus on datacenter electricity use...
focus on how green it is.
Read 15 tweets
May 25
California is entering phase 2 of something we will see worldwide:

Phase 1)
Solar+wind replace up to ~70% of fossil electricity

Phase 2)
Solar+wind+batteries replace up to ~90% of fossil electricity

Phase 3)
Solar+wind+batteries+eFuels replace 100% of fossil electricity

🧵
Phase 1)
Solar+wind can replace up to ~70% of fossil electricity

It depends on the solar/wind mix, proximity to the equator, grid interconnections, and demand but we are simplifying here.

This is the simple part: just turn off coal+gas when there is enough wind or solar.
But then you run into limits:
1) Solar and wind become worthless when there is an excess (which is increasingly the case)
2) Your grid might not be able to handle the solar or wind peaks
3) Daily demand fluctuations don't match solar+wind
4) Seasonal fluctuations in wind+solar
Read 18 tweets
May 24
Cheap batteries are a GAME CHANGER for
GRID CONGESTION and for SOLAR and WIND

We are now moving towards $60 on the cell level for LFP and $40/kWh for sodium ion. $100 for stationary systems in Chine. Using them for demand response will turn the energy system upside down.
🧵
You might know that grid congestion is now the biggest problem facing the transition to renewables.

At the same time the grid is used 30% on average.
If you include all the safety buffers on different levels it might decrease to 15%.
The key to unlocking all that excess capacity is
DEMAND RESPONSE

That used to be complicated but with batteries it's relatively simple: just drop some containers with battery cells, connect them to the grid, and make them use a smart algorithm.
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(