Jeffrey Sachs Profile picture
Feb 18, 2022 9 tweets 6 min read Read on X
You know why anti-CRT activists never explain the language in these bills? Because they know that this is unexplainable.

apps.legislature.ky.gov/recorddocument…
You know why anti-CRT activists never want to talk about what these bills would actually do? Because they don't want to talk about this.

capitol.tn.gov/Bills/112/Bill…
You know why anti-CRT activists always keep the focus on public K-12? Because they don't want you to know about this.

scstatehouse.gov/sess124_2021-2…
You know why anti-CRT activists only ever use the word "transparency", and then leave you to fill in the blanks? Because they want to distract you from this.

iga.in.gov/legislative/20…

miami.cbslocal.com/2022/01/12/flo…
Here's the reality. The only way these bills get passed is if they keep YOU from knowing what's inside them. That's why Chris Rufo, who can't shut up about these things, only ever posts screenshots. Never links to the actual bill.
Never.
Ever.
Half of these people have no idea what's inside the bills they're pushing. The other half has an inkling but actively suppresses that knowledge. Maybe a fraction of a percent actually knows what they're talking about. One day, I'd like to meet that fraction.
CODA: Needless to say, all of these bills are currently live. If you want to read more, @PENamerica has you covered. Here are some places to start.

pen.org/educational-ga…

pen.org/scope-speed-ed…

pen.org/steep-rise-gag…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Jeffrey Sachs

Jeffrey Sachs Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JeffreyASachs

Dec 29, 2023
There is no person on earth with a stronger claim to my house than me because when I am in it, I remember that it is where my daughter took her first steps. No theory of Indigeneity or ethno-religious descent is more powerful than that.

IOW, what matters is community.

A rant:
It's important to keep in mind what the real crime of settler colonialism is. Not "theft" per se. No single ethnic group or cultural lineage can own the land, and if your political theory claims otherwise, it is evil and I want nothing to do with it.
The real crime of settler colonialism is the destruction of communities, the loss of one's home, the denial of self-determination. After all, that's what really matters to you, right? The freedom to move through the world how you like and in the company of those you love.
Read 9 tweets
Jul 28, 2023
Another lawsuit has been filed against an anti-CRT bill. This time it's in Tennessee. @ThePlumLineGS has the details, which are pretty crazy.
washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/…
@ThePlumLineGS The 2021 law at issue is what @PENamerica calls an "Inclusion" ban. That means it forbids K-12 teachers from including certain ideas in classroom instruction. The other types of bans, Compulsion and Promotion, are also bad, but less so.

publications.tnsosfiles.com/acts/112/pub/p…
@ThePlumLineGS @PENamerica In their lawsuit, the plaintiffs argue that the law is unconstitutionally vague. It permits discussion of "controversial issues", but only if they're "impartial". What do "controversial" and "impartial" mean? I have no idea, nor (I suspect) does the state.
tnea.org/_data/media/82…
Read 7 tweets
Jul 11, 2023
!!!
Under the Stop WOKE Act, Florida faculty and guest speakers are PROHIBITED from expressing support in class for affirmative action.

That's not me talking. It's Florida's own lawyers.
washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/…
This incredible admission comes after plaintiffs pointed out (and a lower court agreed) that the law's ban on saying that "[a] person, by virtue of his or her race, color, national origin, or sex should be discriminated against...to achieve DEI" would bar support for AA.

Is affirmative action good or bad? Does it achieve its stated goals or not? Should we keep it, change it, or get rid of it all together?

What plaintiffs were trying to do was make a reductio: Florida's argument, taken to its logical conclusion, would ban faculty -- and even...
Read 10 tweets
Jul 7, 2023
The brain drain is real. Tampa Bay Times pulled records on faculty retention at four Florida universities. Resignations are way up, failed searches are common, fear and self-censorship are palpable. A disaster in the making.

tampabay.com/news/education…
Several out-going faculty single out Rufo and their fear of being targeted online as a prime motive.

Meanwhile, New College has announced it is seeking $2m from the state to fund an institute to combat “cancel culture in higher education.”

flaglerlive.com/floridas-new-c…
The Board of Trustees’ proposal begins like this:

“These may be the times that try men’s souls (Thomas Paine, The Crisis, 1776), wherein the masses, yearning to breathe free (Colossus, 1883, Statue of Liberty) were instead everywhere enchained (Rousseau, Social Contract Theory…
Read 5 tweets
Jul 5, 2023
Let me tell you a story about why one Florida school district is yanking works by Flaubert, Milton, and Shakespeare off the library shelf.

Because that's how bad things are getting in Florida. They're pulling Shakespeare.
orlandosentinel.com/2023/07/03/ora…
Under HB 1069 (signed by DeSantis in May), county residents may object to any book they feel "depicts or describes sexual conduct." Challenged books must be immediately removed and quarantined pending the outcome of a formal review.

There is one exception, but it is narrow: books that are part of a sex ed course or have been explicitly approved by the Florida Board of Education. Remember this. It's going to matter in a sec.
https://t.co/YDdQfdajaHflsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2…
Read 17 tweets
Jun 4, 2023
How do you look at these numbers as anything other than a total GOP messaging defeat?

Even a slight plurality of K-12 *parents* believe that teachers should play the lead role in their child's education.

ipsos.com/en-us/american… Image
The DeSantis platform is wildly unpopular. With parents, with the general public... ImageImageImageImage
Hell, according to the same survey, even Republicans are more or less split.
thehill.com/homenews/educa… Image
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(