Kunal Purohit Profile picture
Feb 28, 2022 6 tweets 4 min read Read on X
🧵Thread: Indians fleeing Ukraine are being assaulted, harassed.

The US had been mulling evacuations since December, repeatedly told its citizens to leave.

India’s ‘advisory’ came only on 15 Feb.

But across BJP-run WhatsApp groups, none of this matters: ImageImage
In this parallel world, the Ukraine evacuation of Indian students is a smashing success. So smashing that it has never been done before.

All on the basis of a video by ONE student who said he was treated warmly as he travelled across Ukraine.

“Why this was not before 2014?” ImageImage
In this parallel world, the last few days have shown what a superpower India is.

Where Ukraine called PM Modi “the world’s most powerful leader” (nope) and where the world is asking India to intervene and “help” and where Russia has promised to bring Indians to safety. (Nope) ImageImageImage
In the parallel world, all this is possible because of PM Modi.

“Kuch toh dum hoga chai wale mein.” ImageImage
Sadly, the reality is very, very different.

No food, no aid, no intimation. ImageImageImage
A solid thread that lays out the evidence of how the Indian government delayed planning for #IndiansInUkraine :

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Kunal Purohit

Kunal Purohit Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @kunalpurohit

Jul 12
A lot has been said about the Modi Government’s crackdown against NGOs.

But for weeks, I tried to find out what the impact of this crackdown on the ground is.

What I found: Job losses, financial distress, school dropouts and crucial amenities like hospitals shutting down.

I investigate for @ContextNewsroom the price that ordinary Indians are paying, for the Modi Government’s witch-hunt against NGOs:

context.news/money-power-pe…
Like this charity-funded hospital in rural Maharashtra: the Bombay Sarvodaya Friendship Centre (BFSC) funded it to ensure it could perform crucial surgeries for locals. The nearest hospital is at least 50km away.

But the Centre’s FCRA was not renewed. The hospital barely functions now.Image
In the case of one Delhi NGO that recently lost its FCRA, 220 of its 250 staffers had to be laid off.

They are all struggling to find jobs now, especially those not involved in core NGO programming work, like the admin staff, the helpers, office staff.

context.news/money-power-pe…
Read 5 tweets
Jun 6
We know @narendramodi made hateful speeches in the campaign.

We know @ECISVEEP looked away.

The BJP lost miserably in Banswara, where he made the 1st hateful speech.

What happened in other seats, where he made hate speeches?

How voters shunned & punished hate: 🧵🧵
In Ghosi, Modi said Hindus would become "second-class citizens" if INDIA bloc comes to power.

Result: BJP LOST. Image
In Nandurbar, Modi pit one community against the other: he said Muslims won't get reservations from Dalits, Adivasis, OBCs "as long as I am alive."

BJP had won this seat twice in a row.
Result: BJP LOST. Image
Read 11 tweets
Jan 25
The #MiraRoad riots lay bare a thinly disguised secret:

After having put the 1992/3 riots behind, Mumbai has been, yet again, actively transformed into a communal cauldron.

This has been in the works for the last couple of years. A thread:
Last year, an investigation around Maharashtra’s communal politics for @Article14live I did revealed that of the 41 hate incidents reported from Maharashtra, 13 happened in Mumbai and Thane (where Mira Road is).

From people being assaulted for not saying Jai Shree Ram to clashes around Ram Navami, it’s all been happening:

article-14.com/post/41-incide…
The BJP and its leaders have actively stoked this.

Mangal Prabhat Lodha, made Guardian Minister, has floated conspiracies around “land jihad”, “love jihad” and “Hindu exodus” without offering any evidence.

BJP leaders barged into a school last year, disrupting an all-faith prayer meet because it also featured an Ayaan.

Apart from this, other leaders like Nitesh Rane frequently deliver hate speeches outside Mumbai which get widely reported in the media here.
Read 6 tweets
Aug 29, 2023
From Nepal to Bangladesh, from Brussels to Washington DC, India is increasingly facing a pushback from friendly powers, uncomfortable with the Modi government's Hindutva politics.

My latest, featuring sources across 6 countries:

foreignpolicy.com/2023/08/28/ind…
Sources engaged in Track 2 diplomacy told me how whispers were growing louder in foreign diplomatic circles about India's slide.

The result can be mixed: from parliamentary resolutions to full-blown protests, from subtle digs by friends to whispers in the corridors.
There's increasing evidence for this:

While the Modi government was publicising the US trip as a success, the European Parliament approved a Parliament resolution on Manipur blaming "divisive policies that promote Hindu majoritarianism in the area."
Read 5 tweets
Aug 1, 2023
🧵🧵A thread:

The #SansadTV is censoring + distorting Parliamentary proceedings and invisibilising the Opposition.

Here's how. This is Home Minister Amit Shah, presenting the #DelhiOrdinanceBill today.

See the video closely 1/n
Its been ages since #SansadTV showed any visuals of MPs protesting in either houses of the Parliament.

But now, #SansadTV actively cuts away visuals with even the slightest glimpse of protesting MPs.

Example 1: Shah speaks, so an MP goes close to his chair. #SansadTV cuts away.
Camera on the speaker, protesting MPs get close to the Speaker's chair with placards.

Within seconds, the camera cuts away to Shah, with a very awkward camera angle. All to not show Opposition MPs.
Read 7 tweets
Oct 17, 2022
A thread on how Hindutva has gone global:

In 2014, months after the Modi gov. came to power, I met a 70+ year-old man from London--retired, prosperous Indian-origin British citizen.

His wife told me he operated several Twitter accounts, spent his entire day on it.
I asked him what he did: "I expose the Congress and the liberal, anti-Hindu media."

I worked for HT then, which he called the 'anti-Hindustan' Times.

He didn't get paid a dime, but he had links to the RSS (HSS in UK) and other Hindu organisations. He didn't want money.
From organising seemingly-benign cultural events to helping Indian students abroad in their teething troubles, the Hindu right-wing has been slowly building its base globally.

Now, it's coming to bite. From mounting organised campaigns denying caste discrimination...
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(