Tim McMillan Profile picture
Mar 5, 2022 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
UPDATE THREAD: A temporary ceasefire to establish humanitarian corridors was established for the cities of Mariupol and Volnovakha from 9am -4pm today.

The corridors will allow for the evacuation of civilians and delivery of food and medical supplies to cities which have been
(2) surrounded and besieged by Russian forces and without food, water, heat, and electricity for several days.

The pre-invasion population was 440k for Mariupol and 21k for Volnovakha. I don’t know how many citizens made it out of the towns before they were surrounded.
(3) However, both cities are along Russia’s Crimea axis on the Black Sea coast, so it’s unlikely that many civilians had time to leave before Russian troops were already threatening the area early in the invasion.

Civilian evacuations began in the towns at 11am (local), giving
(4) a potential nearly 500k people roughly 5 hours to leave the besieged cities.

Mariupol in the south and Kharkiv in the north have been the two cities Russian troops have made the heaviest use of indiscriminate fires, with conclusive evidence verifying the use of
(5) of cluster munitions.

Based on OSINT, I’d estimate that roughly 10k -12k Ukrainian regular troops and an unknown number of irregular civil defense forces are still defending Mariupol.

I haven’t seen enough info to estimate the defense force in Volnovakha.
(6) Based on their troop dispositions in recent days, I believe it is *highly likely* that Russia will make heavy use of indiscriminate fires and wholesale carpet bombing of the towns at the conclusion of the ceasefire.

The one caveat to this is that the volume of missile and
(7) bomb strikes appears to have reduced across Ukraine in the last 2-3 days.

I believe it is *highly unlikely* that Russia has adopted a more humane warfare strategy and potentially the decrease in airstrikes could indicate Russia is suffering from munitions shortages.
(8) UPDATE: Not even an hour into the purported ceasefire, evacuations were cancelled due to continued shelling by Russia.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tim McMillan

Tim McMillan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @LtTimMcMillan

Jul 14
🧵Having personally worked several Presidential and Vice Presidential security details, here’s some of my thoughts based on the available info of the assassination attempt on Trump.

(2)
1. The Secret Service employ a multi-tiered defense in depth approach to protective missions. An inner tier offer close protection support, these being the agents you see rushing in and surrounding Trump after the initial shots go off.
(3)
A second middle tier is tasked with identifying and defending against mid-range threats, i.g. the crowd, etc. This tier is largely comprised of local and state law enforcement temporarily attached to the security detail. This is the area that I worked on prior details.
Read 30 tweets
Feb 13, 2023
JUST NOW: "There is no, again no, indications of aliens or extraterrestrial activity with these recent takedowns." - White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre
(2) Beginning in June President Biden has been receiving daily briefings specifically on "unidentified aerial phenomena" (UAP). - NSC Spokesperson John Kirby.
(3) The three objects downed over the weekend were not assessed as posing a threat to anyone on the ground. No communications transmissions were detected. Object ruled to be unmanned. No wreckage from any of the objects have been recovered, so far. - NSC Spokesperson John Kirby.
Read 12 tweets
Feb 12, 2023
I have no clue what is going on now...
The NOTAM over Lake Michigan... just... disappeared.
(2) This was a screen shot of the NOTAM and restricted airspace I took less than 15 minutes prior.
The KC-135 looks like it's headed out of the area and you definitely appear to have civil aviation now moving in the area of the previous NOTAM.
Read 4 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
UPDATE 🧵: Contrary to what the White House and Pentagon had said, there almost certainly was some ulterior political motives behind yesterday’s shoot down of an “unidentified aerial object.”
Certain because, at roughly 2:30pm EST when NSC spokesperson John Kirby made the first
(2) announcement of the shoot down, he said that it had been downed roughly an hour prior.
@PentagonPresSec reiterated that point when he spoke later at around 4pm EST.
(3) So by all accounts the object was shot down around 1-1:30pm EST.

Yet, curiously the Pentagon sent out press advisories to the media announcing the live press conference at 10:45 AM EST that morning.
(It says 4:48pm because I’m in Germany on CET)
Read 4 tweets
Feb 11, 2023
UPDATE: I woke up to a message saying the WDU-17/B warhead on the AIM-9X sidewinder may have detonated when it made impact with the “unidentified airborne object” shot down near Prudhoe Bay, Alaska yesterday.
(2) Consider this unconfirmed since I can’t follow up on that message at the moment.
But if true, it would suggest the object had enough mass to trigger the missile’s IR proximity or contact fuze.
(3) For comparison, in the shoot down of the Chinese spy balloon, you’ll notice the AIM-9X AAM passes through the balloon and doesn’t appear to explode.

Read 7 tweets
Feb 10, 2023
My hot take speculation, based on low information, about today's shoot down of an unidentified object:

It was a small hybrid aerostat monitoring emissions related to the U.S.'s ICBM test last night out of Vandenberg.
Something about it being purely a spy balloon doesn't match up.
The DoD detected it over US territorial waters yesterday and then shot it down today over US territorial waters? What are we talking from detection to shoot down? 12 hours? 18 hours?
(3) The object didn't move 12 nautical miles in 12-18 hours? At 40k feet? Typical wind speeds at 40k feet are what 100-125mph?
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(