Matthew Eargle Profile picture
Mar 15, 2022 8 tweets 3 min read Read on X
New keyboard, who dis? Image
I've been using the Focus FK-2001 for about a week now, and I'm enjoying it. Coming from my Matias Tactile Pro, it's a pretty easy transition (both using Alps switches and all).

I do really enjoy the Tactile Pro, but I wanted something with Windows keys.
I also wanted something with a vintage style, but I didn't like the prices for a Model M.

Anyway, I now have me a genuine vintage clicky keyboard that is a treat to type on.

Unfortunately, it's rather...dirty. Time for a deep clean! ImageImage
I haven't been able to locate any information on this Intel microcontroller. Just an object of curiosity, though. Image
Ran the keycaps through the ultrasonic cleaner for about 30 minutes and lubricated the switches before putting everything back together.

These are all the keys with wire stabilizers reinstalled. Image
Gave the case a good wash with soap and water, too.

Of course, I forgot to put the stabilized keys back together first, so I had to take it apart again 🙄 Image
I only messed up 1 key putting it back together!

All clicky, no sticky! ImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Matthew Eargle

Matthew Eargle Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @airbornesurfer

Jul 31, 2021
A few weeks ago, my wife and I started cleaning out her mother's kitchen of the ~40 years of detritus she's been holding on to. In the fray, I managed to save some really beautiful glassware such as these coupes.
My mother-in-law works for a law firm and one of the attorneys gave her these phenomenal sets of crystalware at Christmas. She didn't want to part with them out of guilt, but she also *never* used them.

"Take them!" she yelled. "If you'll use them, take them!"
Now, I've never really been one for fancy glassware (excepting the various branded pint glasses I collected for years), but I've always secretly wanted to have a really cool bar setup for entertaining.
Read 34 tweets
Jul 3, 2021
This ancient piece of technology might be one of my most prized tools. Obviously, it's an analog multimeter, but it has an interesting history.

It came into my possession many years ago when my dad was clearing out his toolbox, and he thought I ought to have it. Image
Now, my dad is *not* an "electronics guy". As a recently retired firefighter engineer, he's much better with flow controls and assessing structural integrity. He's the kind of guy who would reverse-engineer those Tuff-Shed structures at Home Depot by sight and memory.
However, he had this multimeter in his tool box because he inherited it when *his* dad, my grandfather, passed back in 1986. He just didn't really have a use for it, so it sat there for the next 15-20 years when he decided I should have it.
Read 52 tweets
Jun 12, 2021
Friday night Tweetstorm, here we go!

This week, I'm watching a legendary(?) VHS.

Let's dig in!
Well, this looks promising! Image
In case you were wondering.

I might also assume this title has something to do with Glockstore, located in this complex. Image
Read 38 tweets
Jun 5, 2021
It should come as no surprise that I'm a bit of a hockey fan. If you've followed me for any amount of time, you've likely seen the occasional #AnaheimDucksGOOOAAALLL or even the #BelieveInBlueland hashtag peppering my Twitter timeline.
Truth is that my love of hockey goes WAY back. I discovered the sport thanks to a particular 1992 Disney film. I grew up outside Atlanta, so hockey really wasn't a thing people understood or even knew about--other than we beat the Soviets in it that one time at the Olympics.
Every so often, I might've been able to catch the last few minutes of a Knights game if I were flipping through channels and saw it at the right moment--assuming the reception was decent enough to see what was going on (Kennesaw Mountain is hell on TV signals, especially today).
Read 27 tweets
Jun 3, 2021
Hey, remember that iMac I was working on last week? The one that I was putting Mojave on just 'cause? Well, I told you I had a project in mind for it!
Also: For the record, it's an early 09 model, not a 10.
Anyway, I've always been a bit of a broadcasting nut. I always loved/hated the politics, the business, and the technology of commercial broadcasting.

In fact, in high school/early college, I wanted to make a career of it.
Read 16 tweets
May 29, 2021
Let's take a trip, shall we? I used to use this 2010 iMac at my office before it became hopelessly outdated. It's spent close to the last half decade in storage at the shop (just off the left side of the screen in videos, actually). I'm gonna try to repurpose it Image
I forgot the account password, so I'm going to reinstall the OS Image
Silly me! Despite the wallpaper, it already has Mavericks on it Image
Read 26 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(