- adding a reflection-mapped hdri for the stars
- ray-sphere intersection for masking the center
- ray-plane intersection for the disc
- disc has a radial voronoi texture,
- which is masked with the inner sphere intersection
- and then added to the rest
- final layer is a basic glowy halo from fresnel
end result:
There's some extra stuff I do with the depth buffer to deal with intersections - here, the mesh is actually clipping into the ground a lot, but I mix out the distortion as it gets closer to the ground, so it can sort of "push into" it
only affects distortion, ring still clips
you can have as many as you like, as long as none of them overlap :P

I do want to experiment with hacking eevee to have an arbitrary number of backbuffer-copies to allow for more flexible SSR stuff. Useful especially for stuff like having water + FX in the same scene
Trying to actually use FX like this in production is always a total nightmare because as soon as you want more than 1 type of thing (e.g. a shockwave + glass) everything goes to shit lol
Multiple passes is pretty bad for performance, but it'd be nice to have the option anyway

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Late as usual

Late as usual Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @lateasusual_

Apr 25, 2023
I've been very stressed and not blendering much, but I had a random idea for how to do fake caustics with geometry nodes 🤔
I'm sure this has been thought of before lol, but I thought it was a neat way of doing it:
basically, just displace the water surface mesh by the refracted normals of the light source, and then you can compare the face area to figure out how bright the spot should be: ImageImageImage
In theory it should actually be pretty physically accurate, but probably it's not as simple as just dividing the face area by itself to get properly numerical results out, i guess
Read 5 tweets
Dec 8, 2022
here's some random thing I made ages ago for doing laser shots through water

never got around to making it animate in a good way though :/
here's how it looks in the viewport - all it's doing is twisting the mesh, but it also instances some spheres on it which allow it to maintain volume and "blobbiness", without them it looks kinda flat (last 2 image comparison) ImageImageImageImage
Here's the nodes for the shader as well - I annotated it a tiny bit. The two vectors going off to the right in the geo nodes screenshot only go to the group output so they can be fed into the shader Image
Read 5 tweets
Nov 26, 2022
crazy hair day with the new geometry simulation nodes :)

(there's somethign wrong with the indexing so just ignore the top half of the curves being all over the place lmao)
The bottom half looks so cool and the top half is just broken 🥲
Not gonna post nodes because the nodes don't really exist yet in a state where it's likely to still work in a week :)
Read 4 tweets
Nov 25, 2022
So, there's a concept I was thinking of for a while and I couldn't seem to find any existing examples...

How useful from a modelers perspective would "sparse" UV mapping be? What I'm envisioning is something that removes the [0-1] UV bounds, and instead of packing tightly you -
- do your UV unwrapping *and all your texture work* on an open, "unconstrained" area, without any concern for wasted space in between - think like PureRef board. The end result could be backed by a single texture, but you can freely change the texel density of each island easily.
Basically by doing any texture paint etc. on a (theoretically infinite) virtual texture, but at export the UV's get automatically packed, taking whatever parts of this virtual texture they cover along with them. Instead of working in that tiny 0-1 box.
Read 7 tweets
Nov 24, 2022
still experimenting with that simulation "hack" for geometry nodes lol
Here are the nodes;

There's some extra logic to e.g. skip simulation if frame hasn't changed (but still allow for new emissions) ImageImageImageImage
Read 4 tweets
Oct 30, 2022
Back home, realised I hadn't used blender in almost a full month :/

still thinking about Girls' Last tour...
wanted to do some stuff with the custom nodes to show them off a bit more, didn't have too long to work on this (maybe 1 hour? 1.5? something like that)

original reference image:
I used 2 curvature nodes, one for "AO" and one for the edge stuff. More obvious if i show just shading, then one, then the other, then both:
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(