Extra garlic and a BGE pink tinge…
Goes well with a Manhattan…

😀
Going down well with Ellie too

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Dr Matthew Ford

Dr Matthew Ford Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @warmatters

Sep 7, 2023
Twenty yrs ago I started a self-funded PhD. I wrote about small arms. As of 2020 this had been downloaded 4780 times (KCL has taken the counter down now) & on academia viewed 2223 times.

I did this at my own expense. No would fund a PhD on guns.
1/

You can download the PhD (FOR FREE) here via academia or KCL thesis portal here.

I can count the downloads if you look at the academia page.

2/

academia.edu/30850102/The_B…
kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/en/stud…
My PhD cost me and my partner at least £30k.

Everyone scoffed at the topic. I got lots of strange looks from academia.

Academics might have admired my courage but the emphasis was defo on foolish. After all everyone wanted to do GWOT and COIN.

3/
Read 21 tweets
Jul 21, 2023
Good article.

A prof willing to call out Western infatuation with “manoeuvre warfare” & argue (correctly IMV) that we’re seeing the war through the lens of a Ukraine info op & consistently poor Western punditry.
“The fact is that Western military science, which has not been tested against a peer enemy in more than a generation, has got a major development in warfare seriously wrong, radically overestimating the power of offensive manoeuvre by highly mobile, digitally-networked forces…”
that are relatively light, highly expensive, and in short supply—a ‘basket’ in which it has invested all its metaphorical ‘eggs’…”
Read 7 tweets
Jan 16, 2023
Was just reading Alex & @CorporalFrisk & reflecting.

Last year we kidded ourselves that the war would be over quickly.

So we didn’t put in orders for gear & ramp up production (UK only put in a order for new NLAW on Dec).

1/
Now NATO is caught in a dilemma. Countries need to re-arm but they hope for a short war.

They want to prep for the greater threat - China - but must buy for European deterrence.

In the mean time there’s a gap between ambition & industrial capacity.
In the meantime, defence companies are themselves in a dilemma. They should be able to ramp up production - with time - but they need to know that orders both come in and won’t just dry up.

States need to decide. Europe or China? Which one comes first?
Read 5 tweets
Jan 13, 2023
Just look at his floofy eyes… Image
And this dude flopping over Image
A generously proportioned tummy…
Read 4 tweets
Dec 7, 2022
Thanks @staillat.

Pretty much what I’ve been documenting on my academia page since March 2022 and @andrewhoskins and I discuss in @WarRadical

cc: @EvansRyan202
Hi @SteveJFeldstein we map your paper in a book @andrewhoskins and I published with OUP in July 2022. This discusses the collapse of civil-military distinctions.

I go onto explore this in detail in Ukraine over several academia documents.
1/
amazon.com/Radical-War-At…
The first of these free papers is here and considers the new information ecology.

The second paper discusses the targeting cycle.

The final paper discusses the Berkeley protocol and the implications for civilians and the armed forces.
2/
academia.edu/resource/work/…
Read 5 tweets
Dec 7, 2022
BOOM!

"The state of digital humanities is always several categories of obsolescence behind, which is inevitable. But more crucially, the humanities have not fundamentally changed their approach in decades, despite technology altering the entire world around them"
And just in case you want to see the knife twisted:

"The humanities promise students a journey to an irrelevant, self-consuming future; then they wonder why their enrollments are collapsing"

ooof
LOL

"What happens when both processes can be significantly automated? Going by my experience as a former Shakespeare professor, I figure it will take 10 years for academia to face this new reality..."
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(