⚡ Rob Rosenberger and 3,514 others Profile picture
May 13, 2022 11 tweets 8 min read Read on X
Learn grep by using it to solve Wordle! Here's one from a few days ago. I have a favorite starting word and I see it has two letters in the wrong position. My wordle-grep cheat sheet (see snapshot) tells me how to build a command line. I build it and… ImageImageImage
…ew, 120 words is way too many. My gf looks over my shoulder saying "what if there's an S at the end?" so I insert a grep command to give me those. Picking through the responses we agree on "farms" and I go for it. As you can see… ImageImage
This time I add "fms" to the wrong letters and I insist on "a" in the second position. I *also* decide to include "i" on a #hunch because it's the next vowel in line. I build the command line and 19 words emerge. I never saw "radio" because "rabid" jumped out at me… ImageImage
So I add "bd" to the wrong letters. I also make sure "r" can't be in the first position and "i" can't be in the fourth position (you'll need another grep if/when letters overlap a position). Then I run the command. It returns three words and we've got three tries… TA DA! ImageImage
Here's another Wordle from a few days ago. I use my favorite starting word to find it has two letters in the correct position and one appears elsewhere. I use my wordle-grep cheat sheet (see snapshot) to build a command line, including the next vowel "i" on a #hunchImageImageImage
My command returns 4 words. Four! We could start at the beginning with "brain" but hey, I like trains! Then my gf says "no no no, use 'drain' instead.' And I'm pretty much like Jules Winnfield: I kinda gotta follow my gf's ideas. We go with "drain" and… ImageImage
Welp, I'm going to win thanks to grep because I've got three words left with three tries left. I tell my gf "you picked 'drain' so I'm picking 'train'" and TA DA! Image
Okay, now let's use hunches with grep to solve what *looks* like a difficult Wordle. Again I use my favorite starting word and … 🤔. I use my wordle-grep cheat sheet (see snapshot) to build a command line. On a #hunch I include vowels "i" & "o" with an "s" at the end… ImageImageImage
My command line returns four words. Perusing the list I settle on "lions" and my hunch begins to pay off!

I add "io" to the wrong letters. Of course "l" and "s" need attention. But I definitely need a vowel so I trial-case "u" vs. "y" in different command lines and… ImageImageImage
"y" returns nothing while "u" returns two words. I choose the first word, "slung," to learn more about where the letters "lsu" don't belong — and TA DA!

🥴 Stupid me: having isolated the solution to one vowel, my hunch *should* be "it's one of these two words." Image
So, that's how you can learn grep by using it to solve Wordle! See also blog.gravitywall.net/2022/02/17/sol… for a great blog on using grep in Wordle.

PS: you can shorten command lines by storing five-letter words in a new file (see snapshot). Enjoy! Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ⚡ Rob Rosenberger and 3,514 others

⚡ Rob Rosenberger and 3,514 others Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @rsnbrgr

Jun 19
1/6
Happy #Juneteenth from a retired USAF historian!

Let's look at how Air Force bases in the south handled "Colored Enlisted Personnel" at the height of #WWII in 1944.

You'll learn a white officer can GO INSANE and it's no big deal, but if your skin pigmentation is… 😬

2/6
"Demotion or Separation of Unsatisfactory [White] Officers" begins on p.164. It was an issue, of course, but our young Air Force didn't see it as a terrible concern. It just … "was" an issue, if you know what I mean.
3/6
White officers' problems were such that in one case, "the findings of #insanity by a Medical Board were being considered in connection with another Second Lieutenant." Even cadets' problems were handled on an individual basis.
Read 6 tweets
Apr 14
He asks a vital question. The (sad?) answer is "no."

Our ✌️problem✌️ with the First Amendment arises when it protects speech *WE* find offensive.

Both Dr. King's "I Have A Dream" speech and Charles Lindberg's polar opposite "Des Moines" speech are revered & reviled to this day.
Yet, it's not only about the "free speech" @marc_saltzman and I find revolting.

It's also about the people who *defend* First Amendment rights.

"1A" lawyer Marc Randazza un-ironically takes bullets on Twitter to defend what HE thinks is vile speech:
We can only imagine Dr. King's problems trying to get First Amendment permitsⁿ to march from Selma to Montgomery.

And we can only imagine the Nazis' problems trying to get permits to march through Skokie's Jewish community:
Read 7 tweets
Jan 3
1/4
#TheBoys #FanTheory: we learn #Homelander has built up a truly insane cache of money

Homelander takes a day off from Vought to enjoy some "me" time. He flies over the Gulf of Mexico in search of narco subs. He finds one inbound to the U.S...
2/4
It reaches shore and narco team "A" unloads the cargo. Homelander watches patiently while carrying a strong cable. Team "B" loads the sub with money and it sets sail.

Homelander pounces on the sub! He kills the two-man crew and uses the cable to bind the water-tight boxes...
3/4
Homelander flies off with the money as the sub plunges to the abyss. He lands at some unknown desolate spot where he finds a huge metal hinged lid surrounded by shards of metal cables.

He turns over the lid to reveal a silo with 6' thick walls holding neatly stacked boxes...
Read 4 tweets
Nov 11, 2023
Okay! It's #HappyVeteransDay and I'm about to bust a cap on a new bottle to make a Yukon Jack "Snakebite" mixed drink so I can toast all my military brethren.

So, let's talk about that time in 2003 in Iraq when the U.S. Air Force nearly went to war with the Dutch Marine Corps!
A bottle of Yukon Jack,a Tervis tumbler with ice, and a bottle of lime juice come together to make a "Snakebite" mixed drink. There is also a small rubber ducky toy wearing a sailor's outfit, because the person drinking it is a retired computer programmer. In the old days you could approach a programmer with a coding problem "only if you can explain it to this rubber duck."
2/🧵
I'll tag @KimZetter, @Doctrine_Man, and @doctrinatrix_C2 because I did promise to tell this story one day.

So, it's 2003. Iraq. The "war" is over and we're basically the mop-up crew. I'm the 3H0x1 assigned to document all air ops in Iraq. POW Jessica Lynch has been...
3/🧵
retrieved, "Killer Chick" wiped out the ground forces who severed 1/3 of a wing from her A-10, and Saddam Hussein remains at large.

(Fun anecdote: contractors dismantled her A-10, packed it in boxes, and sent it home via Navy cargo.)
Read 25 tweets
Jun 14, 2023
1/🧵
It's been a while since I talked about the BarnOwl case study vs. Hootsuite.

So, let's talk.

BarnOwl repeatedly proved its point in many different ways, showing how Hootsuite makes #unnecessary work for PR folks who do it to justify their paychecks.

Hootsuite's #ironic
2/🧵
…UI/UX disparity is unique in that its customer base would have fewer PR chairs in the office if they improved efficiency.

How efficient, you might ask?

I run (ran?) a half-dozen Twitter 'bots as a hobby and my personal & professional accounts sen[d|t] daily tweets…
3/🧵
And I had just created @Digits_Analysis for folks playing a still-in-beta game from #NYTGames. Writing the analyzer took some effort; setting up its 'bot proved trivial. FACT: it took longer to create its Twitter account than to configure BarnOwl to run it as a 'bot…
Read 8 tweets
Nov 19, 2022
Welp, Twitter is dying and I just poured my first Yukon Jack snakebite to celebrate!

So, let me tell you about the time I (a Master Sergeant) argued with the aircraft commander (a major) to divert his C-130 to avoid a missile attack in Iraq!
It's 2003 and BUFFALO 28 is flying 40 soldiers to Kuwait for a funeral ceremony. It's part of a two-ship with BUFFALO 30 carrying seven caskets. ⚰️

Wing commander Col (BGen select) Gibson has stopped BUFFALO 28 on the runway so I can board as Historian.
nytimes.com/2003/11/02/int…
BGen-select Gibson understands the gravity of the situation and he's tossing me aboard to document the mission. As the only 3H0x1 in Iraq, I'm something of a diplomat to the other military services when we do casket transfers. Our presence lends the commander's gravitas.
Read 26 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(