Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK Profile picture
May 16, 2022 36 tweets 41 min read Read on X
Today's Twitter threads (a Twitter thread).

Inside: Amy's Kitchen, a case-study in the problems with consumerism; and more!

Archived at: pluralistic.net/2022/05/16/thr…

#Pluralistic 1/ A blurred image of a woman ...
Amy's Kitchen, a case-study in the problems with consumerism: You are not an ambulatory wallet.

2/  Image: Anthony Quintano (m...
Hey look at this

* Profoundly creepy ad for Army psyops corps (h/t @slashdot) 3/ Image
#20yrsago @creativecommons Emerging Tech conference demo with Lisa Rein, Matt Haughey and Aaron Swartz memex.craphound.com/2002/05/16/cre…

#20yrsago Creative Commons is live web.archive.org/web/2002060203…

#20yrsago @bruces on Star Wars nytimes.com/2002/05/15/opi… 4/ Image
#20yrsago @dangillmor on "the former audience" memex.craphound.com/2002/05/15/the…

#20yrsago Napster is dead, long live Napster wired.com/2002/05/last-r…

#20yrsago Roll your own tampons nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/ar… 5/ Image
#20yrsago Distributed power-strip distribution at the O'Reilly Emerging Tech conference memex.craphound.com/2002/05/14/dis…

#15yrsago Crybaby Scientologists call reporter a “terrorist” news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/ame…

#15yrsago HOWTO convert a Model T into a tractor web.archive.org/web/2007051901… 6/ Image
#15yrsago UK tax experts warn of virtual world money laundering web.archive.org/web/2007051703…

#15yrsago EL Doctorow’s gigantic Civil War novel “The March” memex.craphound.com/2007/05/15/el-…

#15yrsago Neuros OSD: a set-top box that treats you like an owner memex.craphound.com/2007/05/15/neu… 7/
#15yrago Gonzales proposes criminalizing “attempted infringement” web.archive.org/web/2007051711…

#15yrsago Falwell’s stupidest quotes, direct from hell americansexuality.blogspot.com/2007/05/rev-je…

#15yrsago Your old CD ROMs could help @EFF kill a bogus patent! web.archive.org/web/2007051805… 8/ Image
#15yrsago Today is America’s wiretap the Internet day web.archive.org/web/2014041410…

#15yrsago @cstross on the future antipope.org/charlie/blog-s…

#15yrsago Microsoft says GNU/Linux violates 235+ Windows patents money.cnn.com/magazines/fort… 9/ Image
#15yrsago Amazon to launch DRM-free music service web.archive.org/web/2007051814…

#10yrsago Reflections on the acquittal of Byron Sonne web.archive.org/web/2012051907…

#10yrsago How Mitt Romney “created jobs” csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/… 10/ Image
#10yrsago @cshirky on the relationship between physical space and creativity vimeo.com/41492835

#10yrsago Unpacking privilege: straight white male is the lowest difficulty setting in the game of life whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/str… 11/ Image
#10yrsago Police loom over Byron Sonne’s victory party

#10yrsago Finnish court: open WiFi owners not responsible for copyright infringement arstechnica.com/tech-policy/20…

#10yrsago “Ghosts With Shit Jobs” econopocalypse mockume 12/ Image
#10yrsago Advance praise for Pirate Cinema memex.craphound.com/2012/05/14/adv…

#10yrsago Anodyne Anonymity memex.craphound.com/2012/05/14/ano…

#10yrsago Nerd fatalism, nerd determinism: the problem with nerd politics theguardian.com/technology/201… 13/ Image
#10yrsago Forming: dirty Gnostic creation-myth comic of high and lavish weirdness memex.craphound.com/2012/05/14/for…

#10yrsago RIP, Donald “Duck” Dunn bbc.com/news/entertain… 14/ Image
#10yrsago @theyesmen punk TPP and US Trade Ambassador with fake “Corporate Power Tool Award” theyesmen.org/project/tpp/re…

#10yrsago Pirates win more seats in German state elections falkvinge.net/2012/05/13/ger… 15/
#10yrsago How @HarvardBooks combines the best of digital bookselling with the best of physical bookselling forbes.com/sites/philjohn…

#10yrsago FAQ postcard distributed by the guy who played Biff in Back to the Future hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-n… 16/ Image
#10yrsago Microsoft invests in Russian company that attacks BitTorrent swarms torrentfreak.com/microsoft-fund…

#5yrsago Insider whistleblower says London police hired Indian hackers to surveil journalists, politicians and activists bbc.com/news/uk-englan… 17/ Image
#5yrsago The virulent ransomware worm has been stopped (for now) by a hidden killswitch theguardian.com/technology/201…

#5yrsago Anti-DRM artists march on the World Wide Web Consortium today defectivebydesign.org/blog/webs_inve… 18/ Image
#5yrsago Poll has Britons in full-throated approval of Corbynism (if not Corbyn) businessinsider.com/poll-huge-publ…

#5yrsago FCC halts public comments on Net Neutrality techdirt.com/2017/05/12/fcc… 19/ Image
#5yrsago Charles Babbage wrote a “cardboard vaporware” app in 1840 and left it in Turin wired.com/beyond-the-bey…

#5yrsago Louisiana’s public defender’s office is largely nonexistent so poor people just plead guilty thedailybeast.com/louisiana-cant… 20/ Image
#5yrsago Across America, employers are using noncompetes to claim ownership of employees’ skills nytimes.com/2017/05/13/bus…

#5yrsago Big Cable push-polled America on Net Neutrality, still found the majority in favor of it consumerist.com/2017/05/12/eve… 21/ Image
#5yrsago The strange, mutating story of “willpower” and what we think it might be as of right now nautil.us/against-willpo…

#5yrsago America’s top cop-killing domestic terror threat is far-right “sovereign citizens” and militias theguardian.com/world/2017/may… 22/ Image
#1yrago Who owns the covid vaccines: Socializing risk and privatizing gain for fun and profit pluralistic.net/2021/05/16/ent…

#1yrago Big Pharma's vicious battle against universal covid vaccination pluralistic.net/2021/05/15/how… 23/
#1yrago The S&L crisis perfected finance crime: The best way to rob a bank is to own one pluralistic.net/2021/05/15/how…

#1yrago Uber (Ch)eats: Innovation in tax evasion pluralistic.net/2021/05/13/ube… 24/ Image
#1yrago The Democratic establishment: Rahm Emanuel is why we can't have nice things pluralistic.net/2021/05/13/ube…

#1yrago A weapon of mass financial destruction: Your pension is funding the destruction of the real economy…and itself pluralistic.net/2021/05/14/bil… 25/ Image
Thursday's threads: A useful, critical taxonomy of decentralization, beyond blockchains; and more!

26/ Image: Txelu Balboa (modifi...
My latest book is Attack Surface, a sequel to my bestselling Little Brother books, now in paperback, wherever books are sold.

Signed copies at @DarkDel:

darkdel.com/store/p1840/Co… 27/
My book "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is a critique of Big Tech connecting conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies (proposing a way to deal with both) is now out in paperback:

onezero.medium.com/how-to-destroy…

Signed copies here:
darkdel.com/store/p2024/Av… 28/ Image
My ebooks and audiobooks (from @torbooks, @HoZ_Books, @mcsweeneys, and others) are for sale all over the net, but I sell 'em too, and when you buy 'em from me, I earn twice as much and you get books with no DRM and no license "agreements."

craphound.com/shop/ 29/ Image
Upcoming appearances:

* @ABCCopyright keynote (@WesternU)
abccopyright.com/conference-sch…

* @openjsf (Austin), Jun 8
events.linuxfoundation.org/openjs-world/p…

* @CMAgovUK Data Technology/Analytics (London), Jun 15-16
eventbrite.co.uk/e/cma-data-tec…

* A New @hopeconf (NYC), Jul 24
hope.net 30/ Image
Recent appearances:

* Revolutionizing Activism — The Power of Utopia (@theC4AA)

* A Little Patience and a Lot of Tape (@TWiT)
twit.tv/shows/this-wee…

* Blockchain, Crypto & Web3 (@forlifeitself podcast)
31/ Image
My first picture book is out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt @mcrockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.

pluralistic.net/2020/07/14/poe… 32/ Image
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!

Here's today's edition: pluralistic.net/2022/05/16/thr… 33/
If you're a @Medium subscriber, you can read these - as well as previews of upcoming magazine columns and early exclusives on doctorow.medium.com.

My latest Medium column is "The Fatfinger Economy"

doctorow.medium.com/the-fatfinger-… 34/
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "👨‍🏭". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!

Subscribe here: pluralistic.net/plura-list 35/
Are you trying to wean yourself off Big Tech? Follow these threads on the #fediverse at @pluralistic@mamot.fr.

Here's today's edition: mamot.fr/@pluralistic/1… 36/

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK

Cory Doctorow NONCONSENSUAL BLUE TICK Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @doctorow

Jul 31
Today's Twitter threads (a Twitter thread).

NOTE: I DID NOT BUY A BLUE TICK. IT WAS NONCONSENSUALLY ADDED TO MY ACCOUNT.

Inside: The largest campaign finance violation in US history; and more!

Archived at:

#Pluralistic

1/ pluralistic.net/2024/07/31/gre…
A giant in a tailcoat. His head is a stylized, glittering Bitcoin, sporting a comically tiny tophat. He holds a magnifying glass and uses it to examine a tiny, swaybacked donkey in the livery of the Democratic Party. The background is a halftoned Maricopa County federal election ballot.
I'm coming to @Defcon!

--

Aug 9:
Emceeing @EFF Poker Tournament (12h, Horseshoe Poker Room)

Bricked and Abandoned panel (17h, track 1).

--

Aug 10:

"Disenshittify or die! How hackers can seize the means of computation and build a new, good internet is hardened against our asshole bosses' insatiable horniness for enshittification" (12h, track 1).

2/defcon.org/html/defcon-32…
eff.org/deeplinks/2024…
info.defcon.org/event/?id=54844
info.defcon.org/event/?id=54861
Support me this summer on the Clarion Write-A-Thon and help raise money for the @ClarionUCSD Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers' Workshop!

3/clarionwriteathon.com/members/profil…
Read 28 tweets
Jul 31
Earlier this month, some of the richest men in Silicon Valley, led by Marc Andreesen and Ben Horowitz (the billionaire VCs behind Andreesen-Horowitz) announced that they would be backing Trump with endorsements and millions of dollars:

1/ forbes.com/sites/dereksau…
A giant in a tailcoat. His head is a stylized, glittering Bitcoin, sporting a comically tiny tophat. He holds a magnifying glass and uses it to examine a tiny, swaybacked donkey in the livery of the Democratic Party. The background is a halftoned Maricopa County federal election ballot.
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/07/31/gre…
Predictably, this drew a lot of ire, which Andreesen tried to diffuse by insisting that his support "doesn’t have anything to do with the big issues that people care about":

3/theverge.com/2024/7/24/2420…
Read 74 tweets
Jul 29
Here's a weird consequence of our shift from capitalism (where riches come from profits) to feudalism (where riches come from rents): increasingly, your rights to your property (physical stuff you own) are trumped by corporations' metaphorical "intellectual property" claims.

1/ A galactic-scale Pac-Man is eating a row of 'big blue marble' Earths. The Pac-Man has a copyright circle-c in his center. The starry sky behind the scene is intermingled with a 'code rain' effect from the credits of the Wachowskis' 'Matrix' movies.
If you'd like an essay-formatted version of this thread to read or share, here's a link to it on , my surveillance-free, ad-free, tracker-free blog:

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/07/29/fai…
That's a lot to unpack! Let's start with a quick primer on profits and rents. Capitalists invest money in buying equipment, then they pay workers *wages* to use that equipment to produce goods and services.

3/
Read 72 tweets
Jul 26
Three companies control the market for school lunch payments. They take as much as 60 cents out of every dollar poor kids' parents put into the system to the tune of $100m/year. They're literally stealing poor kids' lunch money.

1/ On the left, a boxer in trunks, fists raised. His head has been replaced with the staring eye of HAL 9000 from Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey.' He wears a top hat. On the right, a squinting child in 19th century ragamuffin garb. Behind the boxer, a cascade of gold coins pours out of a giant sack. Beside the kid, a piggy bank. They stand in a school playground with a tumbledown tenement behind it.   Image: Cryteria (modified) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HAL9000.svg  CC BY 3.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.en

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/07/26/taa…
In its latest report, the @CFPB describes this scam in eye-watering, blood-boiling detail:

3/files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/cf…
Read 39 tweets
Jul 25
When I took my kid to New Zealand with me on a book-tour, I was delighted to learn that grocery stores had special aisles where all the kids'-eye-level candy had been removed, to minimize nagging. What a great idea!

1/ A medieval tapestry depicting an overseer gesturing imperiously with his stick at three bent peasants who are grubbing in a field. The image has been altered. Contrasts and colors have been pushed into psychedelic pinks, greens and blues. Part of the tapestry fades into a 'code waterfall' effect as seen in the credit sequences of the Wachowskis' 'Matrix' movies. The overseer's head has been replaced with the hostile red eye of HAL 9000 from Kubrick's '2001: A Space Odyssey.'  Image: Cryteria (modified) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HAL9000.svg  CC BY 3.0 https://creativecommons.or...

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/07/25/acc…
Related: countries around the world limit advertising to children, for two reasons:

1) Kids may not be stupid, but they are inexperienced, and that makes them gullible; and

3/
Read 72 tweets
Jul 18
The telegraph and the telephone have a special place in the history and future of competition and Big Tech. After all, they were the original tech monopolists. Every discussion of tech and monopoly takes place in their shadow.

1/ The cover of the Harvard University Press edition of Richard R Johns's 'Network Nation: Inventing American Telecommunications.'

2/pluralistic.net
pluralistic.net/2024/07/18/the…
Back in 2010, @SuperWuster published *The Master Switch*, his bestselling, wildly influential history of "The Bell System" and the struggle to de-monopolize America from its first telecoms barons:

3/memex.craphound.com/2010/11/01/the…
Read 68 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(