#ASCO22 Saturday June 4 Image
#ASCO22 Sunday June 5 Image
#ASCO22 Monday June 6 Image
#ASCO22 Tuesday June 7 Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Tatiana Prowell, MD

Tatiana Prowell, MD Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @tmprowell

Sep 21
NEW 📣 Nat’l study in #Sweden: 86% of people on sick leave due to #COVID19 in wave 1 of #pandemic still had symptoms 18m later, esp fatigue, cognition, sleep, movement. Risks higher if hospitalized or female. Vax didn’t exist then.
#MedTwitter #LongCovid

journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/14…
The study also found nearly half of respondents also had problems w/ functioning in daily life 18 mos after they were infected w/ #COVID19. That is #LongCovid. This is a stunning number.

Sweden never had a full lockdown or mask mandate in wave 1. /2

#MedTwitter
With this approach, #COVID19 deaths were noticeably higher in #Sweden than in neighboring countries with more precautions. For example, see this graph from ABC based on a Johns Hopkins analysis of the region. The King said: “I think we have failed.” /3 au.news.yahoo.com/leaders-tragic…
Read 7 tweets
Sep 5
NEW Longest prospective study of #LongCovidKids: 1.3K kids who tested pos for #COVID19 were followed up to 3y. Of note, 89% of cases were “mild” & 9% had no symptoms, & 80% had zero doses of vaccine. Mix of variants, but most were Omicron then Delta. /1 thelancet.com/action/showPdf…
Sadly, 23% of kids had #LongCovid at 3 mos. While #s fell over time, 13% at 6 mos, 8% at 1 yr, 6% at 18 mos, & 7% at 2 yrs still had #LongCovid. This is tragic, both because it means that 1 in 12 kids are still suffering a year later, & most of those remain ill longer term. /2
Adolescents/teens were at MUCH greater risk than age <12, as were those infected by earlier variants. Females & those w/ comorbidities were also at slightly increased risk. Infection w/ orig variant resulted in ⬆️ autoimmune disease. Vaccination reduced risk of #LongCovid. /3 Image
Read 10 tweets
Aug 28
#MedTwitter #NurseTwitter I have a small but important rant about medical gaslighting. I booked a pharmacy appt for vaccines for myself & my family. This evening when we all went to get them, the pharmacist said to me: “You only booked an appt for yourself, not the others.” 1/
No, I’m sure I booked all of us. I had actually booked a time & when it didn’t let me add others, I had cancelled & rescheduled for an hr later when they could take us all. I explained that to the pharmacist who could SEE the cancellation & rescheduling just as I said, but… /2
She then said “but you didn’t book anyone else, just you.” I insisted I did & described the lengthy process of having to re-enter all the same info (address, insurance info) over & over for each of us. She acknowledged that’s how their computer system makes you enter it… /3
Read 9 tweets
Jun 19
#MedTwitter

Great to see independent groups demonstrate that passive transfer of IgG from people w/ #longCovid (LC) to mice produces symptoms.

A few reactions:

👉 We need #clinicaltrials of repurposed drugs (& novel agents) to treat autoimmune disease now

BUT…
We have GOT to be able to identify patients w/ #longCovid who instead (or also) have persistent #SARSCoV2 &/or other reactivated virus. If we immunosuppress them (w/o treating 🦠), we can inadvertently harm them AND potentially abandon therapy that could help others w/ LC.

2/
Our ability to get products into the 🧠 will be more important than ever. That might be products that already cross the blood-brain barrier or novel product delivery strategies (devices to ferry a product across the BBB or strategies to open/close BBB like a drawbridge).

/3
Read 4 tweets
Apr 29
The postmortem exams of cats who died of #H5N1 #BirdFlu on dairy farms show devastating effects on the heart, lung, eyes, & brain.

‼️Do not consume raw (unpasteurized) dairy products.

#MedTwitter, 👀 at the screenshot. #AvianFlu #IDTwitter

wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/30…
Because some are asking me to translate this, the very brief version is that massive inflammation & cell death occurred in heart, lungs, brain, & eyes of cats who drank unpasteurized milk from cows with #H5N1. In all, >50% of cats at that dairy farm died. #MedTwitter #BirdFlu
#H5N1 #birdflu is likewise very dangerous to us. More than 50% of the people who have tested positive for it globally in the last 20y have died. This is why #MedTwitter is watching closely. Finding increasing cases in humans & esp spreading btwn humans would set off alarms. 😷
Read 4 tweets
Apr 23
NEW: Prosp study in 225 pts w/ “mild” #COVID19 & future surgery or other procedures. People w/ viral RNA detection in tissue or🩸5.2 times more likely to dev #longCOVID symptoms (OR 5.2, 95% CI 2.6–10.1, p<0·0001). Higher copy #, higher odds. #MedTwitter
thelancet.com/journals/lanin…
Months after a positive #COVID19 test, viral RNA was found in 10 diff types of tissue, incl the liver, kidney, stomach, intestine, brain, blood vessel, lung, breast, skin, & thyroid + blood cells, which could explain the wide range of reported #longCovid symptoms. #MedTwitter /2
Growing evidence IMO that #COVID19 viral persistence contributes to many cases of #longCovid, though it’s prob not acting alone. Still learning how genetics, immune response, & reactivation of other viruses in us intersect, producing LC in some people & not others. #MedTwitter /3
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(