Hasu⚡️🤖 Profile picture
Jun 7, 2022 13 tweets 5 min read Read on X
As MEV is becoming even more important in PoS Ethereum, Flashbots is about to release mev-boost, a neutral middleware that allows any builder to openly compete in making the best blocks. This is great for validators, staking pools, and Ethereum itself.
writings.flashbots.net/writings/why-r…
Block production consists of (1) building the best block from all available transactions, and (2) proposing this block to the network. The increasing difficulty of block building due to MEV is a centralizing force in Ethereum and the solution is to separate the two roles cleanly.
This technique is called proposer-builder-separation and is rolled out to Ethereum in three stages:
mev-boost, which can be seen as Stage 2 PBS, is good for many reasons.

An open market between builders maximizes revenue for validators.

But mev-boost will especially help solo validators, who were too small to participate in Stage 1 PBS.
Going from a 1-to-many builder world can also increase Ethereum's censorship resistance.

Finally, we expect some builders to compete on features like account abstraction, privacy, paying MEV back to users, and more!
But I think the most underrated aspect of mev-boost is that it is completely neutral infrastructure.

While not everyone was agreeing with Flashbots' mev-auction approach, builders in mev-boost can use any ordering approach they want, and we expect users to vote with their feet.
Unlike Stage 1 PBS where all participating miners had to run mev-geth, mev-boost will also work with any client. This supports Ethereum's goal of increased client diversity.
In terms of security, mev-boost is designed from the ground up for maximum security and redundancy. This matters to Ethereum but also to participating validators.
While the goal is to move to Stage 3 PBS, there are good reasons to move ahead with an out-of-protocol solution for now.

mev-boost is an important interim step that allows us to gather data and iterate toward the winning design before enshrining it in Ethereum itself.
A final benefit is that mev-boost addresses a problem that all staking pools like Lido, Rocketpool, Alluvial, etc., have: their node operators are incentivized to hide the true value of blocks from the user!

mev-boost is an oracle for how much blocks are actually worth.
Lastly, there are risks we need to stay vigilant of.

While Stage 3 PBS will solve the need for mutually trusted relays, builder centralization can be a bigger issue in the future. mev-boost is taking an important step by making competition between builders as easy as possible.
This article is written by me and @thegostep, my first for Flashbots. Expect more frequent writing going forward 🙂
Check out the full article: writings.flashbots.net/writings/why-r…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Hasu⚡️🤖

Hasu⚡️🤖 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @hasufl

Sep 18, 2023
Because I was struggling with the FTX claims process, I put together some information and want to share in case it may be useful to others
First, the process will differ depending on the status of your account. What different flags are there?

Accounts can generally have two types of flag: either they are disputed in some way, or they are not.
Accounts flagged as “disputed, contingent, or unliquidated” may had withdrawals within 3months of bankruptcy that are potentially liable to clawback for equitable distribution among all shareholders.

Other reasons include holding tokens (perps, FTT, etc.) with unclear value.
Read 18 tweets
Jun 7, 2023
DAOs, especially in Defi, are stuck between a rock and a hard place:

On the one hand, they need to decentralize early to avoid regulation.

On the other, they still need to innovate towards PMF, make good decisions, and develop a sustainable business model.

So wat do?
I have two core beliefs on this subject:

First, making good financial decisions is the single biggest low-hanging fruit today.

>100k people read my article uncommoncore.co/a-new-mental-m…, but hardly anyone has managed to implement it consistently.

That how I realized: DAOs need help.
DAOs need help in allocating budgets,

they need help in managing their assets and liabilities,

they need help with incentive programs,

and they need helping making basic financial statements (!!)
Read 17 tweets
Mar 16, 2023
.@axiom_xyz , the startup scaling Ethereum through off-chain computation and zk proofs, is hiring on two key positions. Great opportunity to work in an elite R&D team:
Senior Backend Engineer
jobs.ashbyhq.com/axiom/8ddae22f…
Zero-Knowledge Proof Engineer
jobs.ashbyhq.com/axiom/363ab5a7…
Read 4 tweets
Feb 15, 2023
Just in time for Valentine's Day, Flashbots' product lead @bertcmiller unveiled a design document for our latest product: MEV-Share.

As the name implies, MEV-Share is a protocol for returning MEV back to the users who create it.

collective.flashbots.net/t/mev-share-pr…
When MEV-Share is live, users, applications, and wallets can send their transactions to a new RPC endpoint, where a "matchmaker" simulates their trades against independently created searcher backruns.

The resulting arbitrage profits are then kicked back to the user.
In MEV-Share, users control what information about their trades searchers can see before submitting backruns.

Selectively revealing transaction data can help searchers optimize their bids, which means higher payments back to the user.
Read 8 tweets
Feb 14, 2023
What the @monad_xyz team of ex-HFT engineers is doing to the EVM is simply incredible:
- Decoupling consensus from execution so that the two can run in parallel
- Intelligent pipelining of transactions so they can be executed in parallel
I think parallelized EVM is gonna be the next big meme after zk-EVM.

Monad may be a new EVM-equivalent L1 but the dramatic innovations developed here will benefit the entire Ethereum ecosystem.
I'm excited to support @keoneHD and the entire @monad_xyz team on their mission to scale decentralized computing.
medium.com/monad-labs/mon…
Read 4 tweets
Feb 7, 2023
For years, the North Star on Lido's Road to Decentralization has been allowing Node Operators to join without permission.

Today, I couldn't be more excited to share Lido V2 - a massive update for the protocol and a step change toward realizing that vision.blog.lido.fi/introducing-li…
Lido V2 features two big changes:

1. Withdrawals: Users can take stETH and withdraw ETH directly from the Beacon Chain.

2. The Staking Router: A new modular architecture that allows for adding and managing arbitrary new staking modules.
The Staking Router is such a big deal, it's hard to overstate.

It means anyone will be able to make a new module for receiving user stake and putting it to work.

Solo staking and DVT are coming to Lido! Image
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(