Sahana Singh Profile picture
Jun 14, 2022 9 tweets 5 min read Read on X
I had no idea that just an hour from my parents’ home in Bengaluru near Nelamangala, there was a dreamland full of Hindu art treasures with a close link to Amar Chitra Katha, my favorite comic series. So indebted to @Ramyarohini for motivating me to visit Omthara Kala Kuteera (1) ImageImageImage
Until Ramya made me aware, I credited Anant Pai solely for the success of Amar Chitra Katha. Looks like there has been a big omission and you will know that when you visit Omthara. GK Ananthram is the brain behind Amar Chitra Katha. (2) ImageImage
Only after he pestered his boss Mirchandani he got the budget to publish the comic series in Kannada which became a runaway hit. Impressed, the publishers (India Book House) decided to publish ACK in English & other languages. (3)
Anant Pai who ran Indrajal comics was then brought in to run ACK in the late 1960s and the rest is history. (4)
Coming back to GK Ananthram, he has not only published and edited thousands of Kannada and English books but has created a heritage museum in Omthara that brings to life the stories from Ramayana and the Puranas that we have been hearing from childhood.(5)
Whether it is the ornately painted wooden doors or the rock carvings or the elaborately sculpted statues or the hand-made floor tiles or stucco work, you will be left speechless at the Bhagirathan efforts that have gone into showcasing Sanatana Dharma (including Buddha). (6) ImageImageImageImage
National award-winning artisans from Odisha, Tamil Nadu, and Kerala have mainly been employed to create the priceless works on display. The entire place is located in the midst of verdant surroundings & you can see peacocks moving around while birds call out to each other. (7) Image
The mood was set for me from the moment I saw the sculpture of a meditating Hanuman sitting right below a Parijata bush. It looked so real that I wondered if I was disturbing his Dhyana.
(8) ImageImage
I was also fascinated by Annapoorneshwari and made my mother pose next to her. After all, it is she in whom Annapurna first manifested herself to me. There are other masterpieces in the garden such as Shiva in the form of Dakshinamoorthi and Amruta Mrityunjaya. (9) ImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Sahana Singh

Sahana Singh Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @singhsahana

Apr 23
Today, we find temples dedicated to Hanuman in every nook and cranny of India. Did you know that it was not always like this? (1) Image
Even though Hanuman is a very important character in the Ramayana and is extolled for his virtues, the temples being built and patronized by all sections of society until 15th century were mostly for the myriad forms of Shiva, Vishnu, Durga, Lakshmi and other major deities. (2) Image
According to many, Goswami Tulsidas made Hanuman popular with Ramcharitmanas & Hanuman Chalisa. The role of these 2 outstanding works in magnifying the popularity of Hanuman in northern India cannot be denied, but there is one Guru who is often overlooked - Madhvacharya. (3) Image
Read 12 tweets
Mar 31
Visiting Warangal Fort was a distressing experience. I’ve avoided Hampi for years to forget the destruction of one of the most beautiful cities in the world by inhuman bigots. But I had not reckoned on Warangal Fort being such a foreshadowing of the mutilating of Hampi. (1) Image
Warangal fort’s destruction preceded the Hampi massacre. All the elements of hate were visible - hate for artistic beauty simply because it shows human figures depicting deities, hate for connecting with the divine in any way other than what the Book says, hate for diversity. (2)
But such is the power of divine beauty infused into stones by sculptors that it shone brilliantly even from the pieces of the original. (3)

Read 11 tweets
Mar 28
As a result of @ranjanigayatri speaking up, many music lovers are now advancing excellent arguments to destroy the myth of casteism in Carnatic music. Here, friend Swaminathan points out how @tmkrishna's nonsense has been indulged for too long. (1) theprint.in/opinion/carnat…
"...there have been numerous non-Brahmin giants in Carnatic music such as Veena Dhanammal, TN Rajaratnam Pillai, MK Thiagaraja Bhagavatar, Palani Subramanya Pillai, Karakurichi Arunachalam, Madurai Somu, Kumbakonam Naina Pillai, Annavarapu Ramaswamy..." (2)
"...Mandolin U Shrinivas, KJ Yesudas etc. Music academy’s own roster of Sangita Kalanidhis is studded with them – Ponniah Pillai (1933), Dwaram Venkataswamy Naidu (1941), Palladam Sanjiva Rao (1943), Kumbakonam Rajamanickam Pillai (1948), Mysore Chowdiah (1957)..." (3)
Read 9 tweets
Mar 1
The most special temple I visited in my Dharwad trip was the Bhuvaraha & Narasimha temple at Halasi. Again just by chance. The same prof who suggested that I visit Degaon asked me to look up Halasi. “There’s something about that temple,” he said with a gleam in his eye. (1) Image
Varaha & Narasimha are 2 avatars of Vishnu that appeal to me at a visceral level. If I close my eyes, I can often see Varaha diving into the depths of the nether world to rescue Bhoomi Devi and bringing her out with his snout. (2) Image
Somewhere I had read that when Bhaktas saw a huge boar emerging they could sense it was not some ordinary boar. And when they saw his eyes, they knew it was Bhagwan himself. So I like to dream about those eyes! (3)
Read 15 tweets
Feb 28
After my IIT-Dharwad talk, one prof (who saw Degaon marked on the map showing ancient India’s educational centres in my PPT) told me the place was not far from where we were. He said there was one Kamala Narayana temple there which I must visit. So I set out for the place. (1) Image
Degaon was a small town in Karnataka's Belagavi district with narrow lanes lined with tiny houses and shops. The ancient temple was neatly maintained. I googled to learn that it was built in the 12th century by Queen Kamala Devi, wife of Kadamba king Sivachitta Permadi. (2) Image
The mandir’s principal moorti is of Narayana with Lakshmi sitting on his lap. What a picture of conjugal bliss it was! In addition, there is a separate gudi for Narayana all by himself and one of Lakshmi all by herself. Beautiful images! Extraordinary carvings. (3)
Read 5 tweets
Feb 23
When @ImSunilChakri garu invited me to Vidyaranyam Vedapathshala located near Bhagyanagar, Telangana, I seized the opportunity to visit yet another Gurukula. This Vedapathshala has some 100 Vatus, all staying with their Guru Madugula Shashibhushana Somayaji. (1) Image
It was a quintessential Gurukula with a Gaushala having a variety of cows, some shade-giving trees (though I would like to see more of them), a mandir with a hall where students learn their lessons. (2)
Along with me were friends from @brhat_in -@Anviksiki & @PankajSaxena84, and we 3 listened to Guru ji about his vision of a community integrated with the Gurukula. He comes from a lineage of Yajurvedins with an expertise in Soma Yajna. (3) Image
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(