Simon Clark Profile picture
Jun 28, 2022 6 tweets 4 min read Read on X
I visited Africa’s largest urban slum - Kibera in Nairobi - on June 15. The next day I was in nearby Upper Hill - Kenya's richest square mile - to talk at the East Africa Venture Capital Association's conference. Here's a thread about innovation, inclusion & humanity.🧵 1/6
“Kibera is surrounded by affluent areas,” George Owira @owira_obara from @hope2shine told me in this video 👇. Rich and poor live side by side in many cities and rarely meet. For example, London’s Canary Wharf financial district is in Tower Hamlets, a deprived area. 2/6
I discovered untold riches in Kibera. “Kibera people are rich in ideas,” George said. “The only thing they lack is the capacity and the funding.” Many thanks to Eva Warigia @eva_hawa for showing this video clip at the @EAVCA conference in Upper Hill on June 16. 🙏 3/6
I was amazed when George told me about a clever way to make nutritious, cheap feed to rear healthy chickens. 🐓 “The majority of children are malnourished due to lack of protein foods, so it is towards solving a problem,” George said. 4/6
Kibera has “forests of ideas” 💡💡 for investors to discover, George said. “These ideas come from the people. They know what can work.” How do we get the ideas in front of investors? By creating an entrepreneurship competition or innovation hub, George said. 5/6 #WisdomOfKibera
How can money 💰 help solve social & environmental challenges? By talking to people like George in places like Kibera. Inclusive discussion is vital for venture capitalists, impact investors & ESG investors to live up to promises to help humanity. 6/6 #WisdomOfKibera

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Simon Clark

Simon Clark Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ClarkWriting

Aug 2, 2022
Prohibited funding was taken by @ImranKhanPTI's PTI, ECP rules, @dawn_com reports today. Here is a thread on what the ECP verdict says about Abraaj and Arif Naqvi. 🧵 1.

dawn.com/news/1702834/p…
"Mr. Arif Naqvi through accounts of M/s Wootton Cricket Limited being operated from Dubai, UAE has transferred US$ 2,121,500/- (US Dollars Two Million One Hundred Twenty One Thousand Five Hundred) to PTI Bank Account in Pakistan." 2. ecp.gov.pk/Akbar%20Sher%2…
"Wootton Cricket Limited is registered in Cayman Islands as company... it was operating under the umbrella of Abraaj Group." 3.
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(