Gretchen Felker-Martin Profile picture
Jul 4, 2022 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
"What business is it of mine if a young man requires -- no, I will not play linguistic games with you. I will not engage in sophistry, sir -- requires the services of an abortion doctor? Last I checked it bore no cost in blood for the Bette Midlers of the world!"
"Perhaps -- no, YOU listen -- perhaps if placed in the correct context we will finally ford the raging cataract of your incomprehension: A farmer has a cow. It needs its hooves checked. Later he buys a horse, which also requires this service. Has the cow disappeared somehow?"
"Has it been banished to some bovine netherverse, some state of punitive non-being? No, and to state it has is absurd. Sir, were I to concern myself with the disappearance of women, I would look first to what is I assume the last fraying thread of your own domestic situation."
"Then of course we must turn our attention to this "doctor" Petersen, a lamentable figure, rather Hensonian. One imagines him shambling through The Dark Crystal or one of that era's other little cinematic oddities, croaking plaintively at passing gelflings."
"Presented as we are with the good doctor's declaration that he would sooner die than speak aloud the name of Mr. Elliot Page, a Hollywood actor, one is left with a dilemma: watch in silence as he expires, or throw one's rotten produce at the gangling clown."
If you like me making up a bunch of fake Welles interview soundbites, you might want to check out my film crit or my subscription discord theater where I screen and discuss movies!

patreon.com/scumbelievable

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gretchen Felker-Martin

Gretchen Felker-Martin Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @scumbelievable

Nov 12, 2023
My political goals for the existence of trans people do not include assimilation into or acceptance by the ruling polity. They do not include separating the fight for my rights from the fight for the rights of other oppressed groups.
I will not devote my energies or resources to the maintenance of a power that might protect me while it aids in the genocide of others. I will not treasure my own feeling of safety above the blood and freedom of others.
If a strike disrupts trans medical care, I am with the striking laborers. If a party offers to shield me while killing others, I am against that party. There is no room to negotiate. I have no interest in indulging in my own victimhood to excuse my complacency and culpability.
Read 5 tweets
Mar 2, 2023
I had a moment of existential panic last month that maybe all the just-asking-questions transphobes had some kind of point I was missing, so I looked over contemporary and historic studies, read prominent anti-trans writers' work, and my conclusion is they're all totally insane.
Just completely brains-boiled-in-skulls deranged, a combination of social sadism, overreach followed by doubling down and getting backed into demented rhetorical positions, and unexamined revulsion justified after the fact with hearsay and anecdotes -- often totally fabricated!
You want to talk about social contagion, this whole thing is a mind virus propagating from one person to the next because a few elites overreacted to their own disgust at trans people and now find themselves defending extremely intense, hostile statements.
Read 6 tweets
Feb 28, 2023
"Pain is how your body talks to you. You'd do well to listen to it."

This Wednesday at 7pm EST, the Deadlights Theater presents...

BONE TOMAHAWK ImageImageImageImage
Our month of cannibal movies begins with S. Craig Zahler's pitch-black horror western, a nihilistic descent into subhuman violence dealing with complex and ugly notions of colonialism, civilization, and barbarism.

patreon.com/scumbelievable
Tonight at 7!
Read 4 tweets
Feb 17, 2023
The pundit class never backs down or admits a mistake because to do so would be to acknowledge the fundamental dangerous uselessness of their position.
Everything is secondary to the pundit's right to do and say whatever they want at any time, and to challenge their often lazy and bigoted reporting is to threaten their existence.
In his response to the open letter to the NYT standards department Chait acknowledges the wave of anti-trans legislation sweeping the country, but fails to note that the NYT finds itself cited frequently in such lawmaking. He does not seem to register the connection.
Read 7 tweets
Dec 24, 2022
Okay, 1 like = 1 book opinion
People are always like "oh so you think there should be more rape in fiction? well then you must want to see people have diarrhea in books" and like aside from the fact that this is a cruel, stupid comparison, yes I do think books should include more pooping in general.
i am a little bitch sucker for stories about medieval aristocrats being shitty and failing and hating themselves, but come on, man, there are a thousand kinds of period tradespeople to tell stories about!
Read 33 tweets
Dec 23, 2022
It's been a minute, so let's do an AMA
I don't know that I like anything you could honestly call saccharine, but Azumanga Daioh is extremely sweet and low-stakes and I love it with all my heart

Read 72 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(