Ari 🇵🇸🚋 Profile picture
Jul 17, 2022 35 tweets 12 min read Read on X
Well, I'm finally doing it. Starting tomorrow morning at around 6am I'll be attempting to cover every part of Translink's train network as fast as possible. That's every train line on this map (excluding the Airport Line, which is managed seperately and has much higher fees) 1/
This also obviously excludes the G:link tram and the busways (as they're not trains) and the exhibition loop (as it's only active for special events). 2/
The rules are fairly simple:
- Pass through or stop at every station
- Arrive and/or depart via train (no driving to each one)
- Touch our Go cards on or off at each terminus. 3/
We (myself and 3 friends) are competeing against achiruel from the @railbotforum who started at 4:28am and finished "around 2am" - about 22 hours. We reckon we can do it in about 14. To manage this we need to start at Gympie North, the northernmost station (~150km from BNE), 4/
and take one of the two trains a day to Brisbane. Our train to Gympie leaves soonish, so I'll be posting updates as we go. If you're interested, feel free to follow along! 5/
Aboard IMU110 to Gympie North 6/
Off at Gympie North, and onto a courtesy bus that I didn't realise existed. Time to check into our motel, grab some dinner, and then try and get some sleep before tomorrow morning 7/
Alright, it's 5am and I'm walking 45 minutes to Gympie North. Not entirely sure I'm mentally ready for this, but it's a bit late to back out now 8/
Made it to the train, it's VERY clearly not designed for walking access (the march along road shoulders is not fun). Arrived at the station just to hear "doors closing", and sprinted to the train just to find out that we had plenty of time, they were just conserving heat 9/
And we're off, starting the speedrun on time leaving Gympie North at 5:56 10/
For all the failings of the Gympie service, the view is not one of them 11/
Off slightly early at Petrie to wait for a Redcliffe Peninsula train. The 20 minute transfer window isn't great, but it does give time to have something to eat
And onto NGR 721 to Kippa Ring. 5 minutes late, but hopefully we can make up some lost time and not miss our transfer on the way back 13/
Quickly off and back on at Kippa-Ring, and almost back on time. Next stop Petrie (again) where we'll change to an express train and ride to Northgate 14/
Made it onto the NGR 765 Roma St service, now heading full speed to Northgate for the tightest transfer time in the whole trip at 2 minutes. We're two minutes early and the Shorncliffe train is a minute late, so the odds are in our favour 15/
Quick transfer at Northgate, and somehow still on time. Yet another NGR to Shorncliffe, then hopefully a quick snack while we wait to turn around 16/
And that's the Shorncliffe line done. It's a pretty cool station area. Next stop Eagle Junction, and the most run down line on the network 17/
Time for another decent wait at Eagle Junction before we head to Doomben. Still on time so far 18/
Onwards to Doomben! I've been interested in checking out this line, but never had the chance 19/
On and off at Doomben. It's an interesting line, heaps of spots where duplication was obviously either considered or previously existed. Without an extension to Northshore Hamilton I can't really see duplication being a high priority right now though 20/
Off at Bowen Hills, and very nearly managed to get a Ferny Grove train 15 minutes earlier than planned, but a delay for a signal meant we missed it. Ah well, time for another snack break 21/
Now heading to Ferny Grove, the only line with 15 minute off-peak frequency (and no NGRs). It's a pretty nice area so far 22/
A quick tap on and tap off at Ferny Grove, and back to the city followed by Springfield Central. Also got a call from @TerriReports from the ABC which was not something I expected starting this trip 😳 23/
At Central onto a Springfield Central train. Central continues to be quite depressing for a major station - dark, loud, and not nearly as nice as you'd home. Quite a change to Springfield Central, which is probably my favourite station on the network 24/
There and back at Springfield Central. Absolutely beautiful station, and it was nice to stretch our legs for 15 minutes. Next stop Ipswich via Darra 25/
Off at Darra, now for the long ride to Ipswich & Rosewood. Really starting to feel the 4am wake up and 5 hours of sleep, but it's a bit late to stop now 26/
End of the (electric) line, Rosewood. The stations and area around here are beautiful, but the once an hour frequency leaves something to be desired. Next up: back to Ipswich, then Roma St, and finally on our way to Cleveland. 27/
Another quick transfer at Ipswich. The train is a lot busier than most others have been, which was definitely not helping me while giving a phone interview! 28/
Roma St onto the Cleveland line. Thanks to @thestargateking's suggestion we managed to catch a Cleveland express train, hopefully should be able to shave off about 25 minutes. 29/
Stopped at Cleveland and hopped on the wrong train heading back. There goes our time savings! 30/
@RateMyBuffers any thoughts on these? 31/
On a Cleveland train back to Park Road. If we run early (or the Gold Coast train runs late) we can MAYBE catch up to our planned time. Let's hope! 32/
Okay we're not making that transfer. Our wait time for the Gold Coast train is about 27 minutes at South Bank, so we might risk it and grab something to eat - after muesli bars and yoghurt all day you get a bit sick of them 33/
Alright food grabbed & water refilled, on to the Gold Coast, some actual food, and then home. 34/
And that's time! 8:21pm, 14 hours and 25 minutes. Time to get some food, head home, and collapse. 35/35

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Ari 🇵🇸🚋

Ari 🇵🇸🚋 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(