Helen De Cruz Profile picture
Jul 31, 2022 14 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Thinking of King Cape Gilette's (inventor of a safety razor system, co-founder of the Gilette company), and his strange and wondrous #solarpunk utopia (1894) where all of the US would live together in one huge city, with one publicly owned company, powered by Niagara falls Hexagonal plan of the buildings in the city Gilette envisage
The plan of his utopian city, outlined in The Human Drift (1894) is extremely detailed. You can read it here.
Gilette was a gilded age businessman but he believed business competition was harmful for the people, and thought of a different idea.
archive.org/details/TheHum…
All the people would be the stockholders of the *one* company that would produce everything. The president and board of directors would be voted by the stockholders, aka the people. Gilette believed people-owned companies would lead to wealth and progress for all
Here's a picture of "a perspective view of a complete building and its imaginary surroundings. Here we see the tiers of apartments arranged in a circle and joined at the back, and the interior court thus formed is surmounted by a dome of metal and glass." Gilette's depiction of one of these buildings (multi-family)
And here's a picture of what an individual apartment would look like, suitable for a family of 4-8 people. Note it has a library, a music room, a veranda A plan of different rooms of an individual apartment in Gile
Now I am intrigued about why Gilette believed that competition was harmful and decreased the overall wellbeing and wealth of the people (contrary to e.g., Smith, Mandeville). My guess is extreme wealth inequality + oligopolies in the late 19th c much like today
E.g., only 3 companies produce insulin and prices have become exorbitant. Gilette thought thiswas not ideal for the super-wealthy either "They are under a constant strain of anxiety in guarding their property and keeping their surplus invested in safe securities." (poor them :))
Moreover, and it seems to me that Gilette echoes Alexis Tocqueville (Democracy in America), and maybe Marx, there is an imbalance between the proprietors and the people, which results in increased poverty. I am a business man,...a commercial traveller. And it is to
He also worried that social inequality would de facto mean slavery for many people. So, for him equality was to an important extent connected to freedom as that would allow ppl to expand their natural capabilities Under existing conditions there is no such thing as material
As in all utopias, Gilette considered that the urban environment of Metropolis (the name of the city) should be not merely functional but also beautiful, a "an endless variety of beautiful designs" in the public buildings
This passage is the most solar-punky where you have pedestrians, cyclists, and people using electric cars. Outside of the city you'd have the natural environment. The upper, or outdoor, pavement would be tile and glass thro
Here we have a map of how Metropolis would be laid out concretely near Niagara Falls with sizes of current populations in the US to give an idea of scale (he also left some room for population growth/future immigration) Map of Metropolis
Also Gilette believed a single large publicly owned company and its progress would free up our minds from the grind of labor + production that most of us are tied in now, through scientific progress we'd finally be free to invest our labor into science, arts, and inventions
Finally, the book is dedicated to all of humanity "for to all the hope of of escape from an environment of injustice, poverty, and crime, is equally desirable". \end Frontispiece of The Human Drift by KC Gilette (1894) showingDedication "The thoughts herein contained are dedicated

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Helen De Cruz

Helen De Cruz Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Helenreflects

May 6
Today I learned about this elaborate eulogy carved into stone of a 1st c Roman husband for his wife (identity uncertain, traditionally referred to as "Turia")
It's the longest personal document of this kind. He loved her a lot, they were married for 40 years.
Highlights: 1/ Fragment of Laudatio Turia, source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudatio_Turiae#/media/File:Laudatio_turiae_2.jpg
This elaborate carved eulogy challenges our expectations about Roman women. Far from these meek, defenseless creatures the husband keeps on going on about how his wife saved him (and doesn't seem to feel threatened in his masculinity for this), how she avenged her family, etc. 2/
It begins already like this "You were orphaned suddenly before the day of our wedding when both of your parents were killed together in the solitude of the countryside. It was mainly through your efforts that the death of your parents did not go unavenged:" 3/
Read 16 tweets
Apr 11
We all know we are mortal. It's in the classic syllogism where all men/humans are mortal and Socrates is a man so...
Yet we also think of ourselves as practically immortal.
What happens then if you find yourself in a situation where you might not live? How does it change you?
that's where I had been thinking of. at some point things looked really bleak with 20% survival over 5 yrs. Then it considerably looked better. Now, it might look better or not I am waiting. It is psychologically hard. Very difficult.
It gave me both a sense of futility, namely my work is not worthwhile or anything I did, I failed. Also a strong drive to survive--very potent. My kids, partner need me and I want to write more books.
Read 4 tweets
Mar 6
One more covid thread. I have a (serious) personal health situation.
I do link it to my prior covid infection.
So: We often see the choice presented as follows: just accept this new level of illness OR restrictive, politically unpopular measures
But this is not the choice 1/
This presentation of choices implies that it is sustainable to live with covid. That's the choice we made. But I think we see mounting evidence that at a population level this choice is not sustainable. 2/
I follow health news in several countries I have ties to: the US, the UK, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany (OK no ties to Germany personally but I try to read German regularly to keep it up). The story is the same everywhere: record levels of long-term illness 3/
Read 13 tweets
Mar 4
Things we said we would fix back in 2020, but didn't bother to when we went back to normal:

1/ essential workers seem pretty essential for the well functioning of our society. They need better pay, better working conditions, paid leave and things like that.
2/ School inequality: Some schools struggle to provide any form of education because kids have no stable internet connection, are in a car close to a place that has WiFi trying to log into google classroom. Let's address that inequality and invest in schools and teachers!
3/ It sure looks miserable in care homes and retirement homes where people are dying in droves without ever reaching a hospital (we're talking spring 2020 now). Similar in prisons. Maybe we should rethink how we're treating these human beings who are massively dying
Read 9 tweets
Mar 1
I don't understand academics. Our brain = our bread and butter. Without it properly functioning, we cannot work.
We read peer reviewed lit and trust it. That lit says: covid = bad for brain.Really bad!
Yet no mitigation in our conferences or classrooms.
Our workplaces are unsafe.
So, what's going on?
A couple of thoughts:
1/ Most academics don't know about this. I am not sure this is true. In any case, I try to inform. There is really a lot of peer-reviewed lit out there, some of which comes in mainstream press. When did we stop following the science?
2/ Academics know about it but have resigned themselves to "it's a new disease that's going to be around forever." -- well, TB, polio, AIDS etc were never eradicated but does that mean we shouldn't use the tools to stop their spread? What makes covid special?
Read 8 tweets
Feb 28
I saw someone today whom I had not seen since September. We were at a memorial service. It was packed. I was one of two people wearing a mask then. She then asked me "What's wrong, are you not feeling well?"
I said, "No, I just protect myself against covid."
So now we spoke 1/
She told me how she got covid shortly after then and was so, so tired for many months. How she had difficulties concentrating and getting anything done.
She said "I think you are wise to still protect yourself against covid, I didn't know it would be this bad." 2/
She thought it was fine if you were vaccinated and that the disease was now mild. But how mild is mild if you are ill for weeks and then are tired for months more? This was her first (known) infection. This is an educated woman. Many people genuinely do not know 3/
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(