#positivenewsclimate China continues to add more renewables each year than it did the previous year, since 2019 - world leader on renewables

debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/positivenewscl… Image
What I'm doing is postive framing. Not rosy tinted glasses. We need stories about TRUE good things happening and positive things to motivate us to do those positive things ourselves, at least most people do.
debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/How-to-motivat… Image
If you ignore all the good things that are happening and focus only on what's going wrong then most people will just get depressed, even some get suicidal, and they don't do anything even when there are many thing sthey can do. So it's counterproductive.
The biosphere isn't gone. This video may help give another perspective and give heart that we can do this!

The video is about regeneration / reforestation in China and Ethiopia.

Streams flowing again, forests growing in places that had turned to deserts.
Nature is in cities too. Peregrine falcons, barn owls, pigeons, swifts - those are in the UK where I live, they are all cliff dwellers that now live in our cities on houses, skyscrapers, steeples.

In UK many of our best habitats are human modified. data.jncc.gov.uk/data/2728792c-… Image
There are things you can do in a city to help with nature, e.g. flowers to attract and help insect pollinators and bee houses.

On how humans can be beneficial as well as harmful, Chris Thomas's book may be helpful.

How Nature is thriving in an age of extinction. Image
And my blog post: We aren’t in the middle of the sixth mass extinction - we are at the start of what would be a mass extinction if it continued at this rate for 1000 years- but already doing a lot to end and reverse biodiversity loss - we can stop this! debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/We-aren-t-in-t… Image
In the UK humans with agriculture and our buildings cut down most of the forests long ago. See this animation.

But those habitats ancient humans created by felling the forests often have rare fauna and flora that aren't found in the forests. data.jncc.gov.uk/data/2728792c-…
And at the height of the last ice age it was nearly all tundra or ice sheet or steppe. Cites for these graphics here: debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Deserts-water-… Image
There is a fair bit of conservation going on everywhere including in Australia. I did a blog post about it here:

debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Positive-news-…

So things are turning around.

People in Australia who care and put a lot of work into helping preserve and restore Australian ecosystems.
Tweet on climate change and you are EXPECTED to say.
1. It's a disaster, we need DISRUPTIVE change, give up nearly everything we value.
OR
2. EVERYTHING FINE, no need to do anything.
BUT
3. IPCC, FAO, IPBES etc mainstream, focus on TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE.
debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Fact-Check-IPC… Image
So, if you tweet mainstream climate science you tend to get attacked by both sides in this polarized debate.

By focusing on helping scared people I keep out of this debate as far as possible.

I believe I also help build bridges and foundations for +ve action by helping them.
Net zero plans typically:
- nearly all emissions to zero first.
- Carbon capture for e.g. steel, cement, at source.
- land use change (not just reafforestation) does most of the rest
- with IPCC AR6 / WG3, some level of -ve emissions likely needed in 2nd half of century.
-ve emissions do NOT require carbon capture from the atmosphere.

Models use direct carbon capture just because it is easy to model.

IPCC AR6 / WG2 / Ch 7 covers a dozen or so methods.
Main issue: some reafforestation etc sources could saturate by mid century.

Need more 2050+
I wrote this before AR6 / WG3 but have a quote from them at the end, it covers many ideas they mention debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Dare-to-Hope-C…
We may need to do these things after 2050.
But we know exactly what to do through to 2050 lots of time to work on the plans for 2050 onwards. ImageImageImage
What I'm tweeting here is mainstream, thousands of scientists.

Basis for plans by all the governments.

Many eyes have checked and rechecked it and peer reviewed it and done meta reviews and the big systematic IPCC reviews.

Sadly, many IPCC critics haven't read their reports.
IPCC AR6 / WG3 chapter 7 covers what we do after 2050.
See their graphical summary:
More about some of them here debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Dare-to-Hope-C…
(I added text: "Many ways to do carbon dioxide removal - might need these in 2nd half of century to stay at zero emissions once we get there") Image
Land use change, agriculture and forestry may become less effective after 2050 (not yet proven).

BECCS can be part of the solution but mustn't impact on biodiversity or agriculture.

Figure 12.8 in AR6/WG3 page 12-101, my annotations. Blogged here: debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Should-we-burn Image
The aim is to reduce emissions to as close to zero as possible then negative emissions cover the few remaining %

Our focus right now is to stop and reverse forest and biodiversity loss.

Makes a huge difference for zero emissions by 2050.

Need this whatever our plans for 2050+.
We have to rapidly reduce emissions. We can't do this with just -ve emissions.

But there are residual emissions even with 100% renewables, e.g. for steel, cement (even with carbon capture), plastic, long distance flights (even with synth / biofuels) etc.
Indonesia is meeting its goals which shows it is possible to stop forest loss. globalforestwatch.org/blog/data-and-…

Also

Europe, Oceania & Asia: net forest gain

North and Central America: small forest lost but carbon stock gain.

un.org/esa/forests/wp…

COP26 funding will help in future ImageImageImageImage
The global forests watch report finds a bright spot in the Congo basin as well as Indonesia.
globalforestwatch.org/blog/data-and-… Image
FAO in State of the Forests find a cost effective potential of
- 3.6 gigatons a year avoided deforestation
- 0.9 gigatons a year reforestation / aforestation
- 0.9 gigatons a year from improved forest management.
fao.org/3/cb9360en/onl…
(current emissions ~40 gigatons a year) Image
There are many other important ecosystems. I covered peat banks in my blog post about the Congo basin. debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Congo-Basin-pe… ImageImageImageImage
There are many positive things happening in the world. Remember to motivate yourself and others to action you need at least three positive framings to each -ve framing. Some positive stories to encourage you here:

debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Videos-of-good… Image
And there is much we can all do in our personal lives. We don't need to wait for governments to act. The transformative change needs all of us, governments, local communities, individuals together.

debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Simple-lifesty… Image
We miss a lot through click bait news.

This is what the scientists really say about a transformative change, an empowering message, by our choices we can play our part in the transitions the world has to go through, not about ending consumerism.
debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Simple-lifesty… ImageImageImageImage
Director-general of UNESCO Audrey Azoulay:

"We have not lost the battle, and if given a chance nature will reconquer its rights and will prevail, and so we really want everyone to feel that they can contribute, that they are part of the solution"

robertinventor.online/booklets/lets_… ImageImage

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Robert Walker BSc, fact checker for scared people

Robert Walker BSc, fact checker for scared people Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @DoomsdayDebunks

Jul 8
If worried about project 2025:

BLOG: Far right Republican Project 2025 is mostly an illegal fantasy - most of it can’t be done at all - “Schedule F” would face legal challenges and likely be struck down
CLICK HERE TO READ:

Screenshot of first page. doomsdaydebunked.miraheze.org/wiki/Far_right…
2/ This is impossible. I 'll do a new post when I get time. Most things require new laws and they can't get a far right majority in either house. Schedule F is the main executive decision option. If he tries again it is likely shot down as illegal. Meanwhile short thread.
3/ for LGBT things remember that the vast majority in both houses supported the respect for marriage act. So it is not possible for Congress to pass laws that remove the right for marriage for gay people never mind harsher restrictions.

doomsdaydebunked.miraheze.org/wiki/Far_right…

Read 14 tweets
Jun 15
1/n Yes we ARE headed for 1.7°C if countries keep to announced pledges
- most make realistic pledges and achieve or overachieve
- 77% of IPCC authors CAN be wrong if it is the remaining 23% who study how countries translate pledges into action

See BLOG: robertinventor.substack.com/p/yes-we-are-h…
    TEXT ON GRAPHIC      As technology improves we expect it to be EASIER to achieve these pledges and improve on them.      APS [Announced Pledges Scenario]      Most of these pledges are      - economically feasible      - from countries that historically equal or exceed pledges.      The 1.7°C scenario assumes countries achieve their announced pledges.      Why do so many say 1.7°C is impossible?      It can't be, by definition.      Highlighted text: "In the Announced Pledges Scenario (APS), the temperature rise in 2100 is 1.7 °C"      This graphic is from the latest IEA repor...
2/ About why climate scientists often are so pessimistic about action on climate change.
- hardly any study the economic models
- IPCC / AR6 had a cut off date just before the COP26 net zero pledges
- so couldn't evaluate the feasibility of India / China's net zero plans.     Text on graphic: IPCC / AR6 cut-off date was before the net zero pledges of India and China.      More important figure : 23% of climate scientists expect a rise of 2 C or less      Less than 10% of IPCC scientists study the economics of climate change and Integrated Assessment Models use older simpler economic methods
3/ The big IPBES report in 2019 was the only recent major study with a large element of social scientists and it was the most optimistic, saying we can achieve this transformative change, not just scientifically - that it is economically and socially feasible.     Transformative change maximizes good quality of life with GROWTH, material, non material and economic - IPCC and IPBES Increasingly we are following this path makes sense [Scroll down page to see second copy of this graphic for the rest of the text] Graphic from page 33 of the appendix to chapter 4 of the IPBES report in 2019 https://ipbes.net/sites/default/files/2021-01/GA_chapter_4_supplementary_materials.pdf
Read 25 tweets
Oct 3, 2022
@GerogeBush6 @mikestabile 1/ This is an inaccurate summary. It is about exceptions to the law not overturning it. There are many exceptions already itif.org/publications/2…
This case is specifically about how YouTube recommends videos to users (continues)
@GerogeBush6 @mikestabile 2/n The case is about whether Google is liable if its algorithm recommends illegal content to users. It is NOT liable for hosting user generated illegal content - that's established. Video summary.
c-span.org/video/?c503199…
@GerogeBush6 @mikestabile This is the basic argument for the defendant

news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/hi… Image
Read 11 tweets
Oct 3, 2022
1/4 Many people are misreading what Putin said in his annexation speech. He did NOT say Hiroshima and Nagasaki create a precedent for the world to use nukes today

- that would be a very radical
- that would reverse all Russian nuclear policy for decades.
2/4 It is very clear in context that Putin said
- the Allied carpet bombing in WW2 in Dresden, Hamburg and Cologne
- set a precedent for the use of the nuclear bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

They clip the video just before the second paragraph which makes that clear.
3/4 I go into it in my blog post using the official English translation of Putins' speech as published by the Kremlin.

I look at two other ways to intepret those two sentences, neither makes sense in the context of the paragraph that follows.
Read 6 tweets
Oct 1, 2022
Putin speech misleadingly clipped
- said nukes against civilians are BAD
- did NOT say bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki are a precedent for Russia to follow
- said US / UK used carpet bombing in Germany as a precedent
- for nuclear bombs in Japan
debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Putin-speech-m… ImageImage
I don't speak Russian. But this is based on the official Kremlin translation into English. That section of the speech is always clipped just before the next bit which makes it clear he is talking about USA using carpet bombing in Germany as a precedent for nuclear bombs in Japan.
There is one other reading, I've now set them out with headings as the natural reading and two alternative forced and unnatural readings in the context of the rest of the speech.
See my debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Putin-speech-m… ImageImageImageImage
Read 7 tweets
Sep 21, 2022
Reminder you can't use a nuke to win wars. Image
For Putin to try to use a nuke to stop Ukraine from doing its counteroffensive is like trying to use a cannon ball to stop midges that are already biting you. debunkingdoomsday.quora.com/Russia-can-t-w… Image
Russia's tactical nukes likely can be dialed down very small like the US ones. If a 1 kiloton tactical nuke was detonated at one end of an airport runway you'd not even get sick at the other end if the small radioactive cloud blew another way or you got inside within 15 minutes Image
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(