【EN, 日本語】 So… it seems that someone on the #LycorisRecoil production staff uses a jailbroken iOS device ;P

I've been meaning to make a thread about various tech-related things I've noticed in #LycoReco for a while now, but this finally pushed me to do it. [↓]
[↑] First off, in Episodes 7, 6, 5, and 2, Kurumi very often has an iOS SpringBoard crash log on her display that references a jailbreak tweak in the stack trace — "NtSpeed.dylib". [↓]
[↑] The specific Objective-C method it's crashing at is -[NtSpeed update], which you can find the corresponding code here: github.com/julioverne/NtS… [↓]
[↑] Perhaps the most prominent appearance of this crash log is actually in Episode 7's post-credit scene, which also happens to be the only time that the crash log appears on a device /not/ owned by Kurumi. [↓]
[↑] As far as what the other things on Kurumi's display are, there's a random COBOL code snippet dealing with SQL transactions of some sort, as well as what appears to be… JavaScript? [↓]
[↑] The various VR headsets (as well as the VR gun controller) that appear throughout the series used by Kurumi (… and Chisato, Takina, even Shinji) are also pretty clearly inspired by the PlayStation VR (PSVR). [↓]
[↑] Also, it seems that #LycorisRecoil staff in general appear to be quite fond of Apple devices not just for in-universe purposes, but even for actual production use. It's quite likely that they use the Red Giant suite of software internally on macOS [↓]
[↑] devices (most likely Cinema 4D and/or ZBrush), considering how we can quite clearly see installer/updater log output related to Red Giant from a macOS machine several times (but most clearly in Episode 6). [↓]
[↑] Interestingly, it appears that Kurumi as well as others on the Lycoris side of things use Apple devices and more macOS-like OSes, while Shinji, Robota, and Majima all use more Windows-like OSes… [↓]
[↑] Or, well, "Doors", I guess. (Judging by the logo on Majima's laptop keyboard's Windows/Super key ;P) [↓]
[↑] In fact, Robota's "Ping the specified host until stopped" UI (the string hilariously comes from the Windows ping utility's help output) actually shows the `ipconfig /all` output of a PC that has an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 WLAN chipset.

ark.intel.com/content/www/us… [↓]
[↑] I guess someone on the production staff uses an old Windows laptop or something. (That WLAN chipset is from 2011 and only supports up to 2.4 GHz 802.11n!)

We also get a peek at their internal IP range (192.168.0.x), and… uh… a hardware MAC address. Oops. [↓]
[↑] Robota's "ACCSESS PROGRAM" (sic) screens from Episode 7 is a `hexdump -C` output of… some unknown x86_64 ELF binary which I've manually transcribed (there appear to be two different ones, with just a one-byte difference). [↓]
[↑] Also, I find it mildly hilarious how Kurumi is apparently so much of a Super Hacker™ that she's running a full-blown macOS-like desktop OS on her iPad (with a Windows 10 taskbar… and a squirrel icon Start button). [↓]
[↑] I guess it's technically already possible to do that on an iPad now with QEMU/UTM, but it's nowhere near as usable as Kurumi's ;P

※ Also, the way Kurumi folds up her iPad in episode 7 seems to indicate that she's using the Smart Keyboard Folio. [↓]
[↑] And finally, I've actually managed to track down the actual Ae VFX assets that A-1 Pictures used for pretty much all of the Radiata/DA-related UI, thanks to them leaving the original author's name ("LASHA BRODZELI") quite clearly in several shots. artstation.com/artwork/KgWoR

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ✿ Karen/あけみ🍍@*ふぁみりん🌺

✿ Karen/あけみ🍍@*ふぁみりん🌺 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @akemin_dayo

Apr 15, 2023
I can't believe we now live in a crazy universe where Apple treats old apps on their platform far better than Google does.

Let me introduce you all to what I consider to be one of the worst choices Google has ever made for the Play Store — the "Target API Level Policy". [↓]
[↑] Basically, if an app is deemed to be "too old" for a given Android version, Google will prevent users from installing said app.

Sounds like it makes sense at first, right? This must be because of some technical reason that prevents said app from working correctly on [↓]
[↑] newer OSes, right?

Nope, that would make too much sense.

This is pretty much an entirely artificial limitation enforced by Play Store — if you were to obtain the APK in question (such as via Raccoon) and manually install it on your device, it would work just fine. [↓]
Read 11 tweets
Aug 14, 2022
【日本語、EN】 #リコリス・リコイル の制作スタッフに脱獄したiOSデバイスを使ってる人がいるようですねww

以前から #リコリコ で使われてる技術について自分が気づいたことをスレッドで書きたいなって思ってたけど今まで結局やらなかったw [↓]
[↑] 第7、6、5、2話では、クルミの画面にiOSのSpringBoardのクラッシュログがよく表示されるスタックトレースに「NtSpeed.dylib」というiOS脱獄tweakが含まれてる [↓]
Read 16 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(