David Shorter Profile picture
Aug 15, 2022 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
If you enjoy critiques of pure reason, then I highly suggest the "Swarm" episode of Netflix's season three of Love + Death + Robots when to counter human hubris we learn that "intelligence is not a winning survival trait." 1/5 Still image from "Swarm"
I'll use Swarm in my #UCLA class on Aliens this Fall. I ask students to "think with aliens" rather than get stuck on their existence, and to "stay with the trouble" to see that humans are apex predators (so far) who are cannibalizing their own longevity (so not THAT smart). 2/5 Octopus phot by Diane Picchiottino
I assign Lee Irwin: "Reason, in both its synthetic and its analytic sense, represents only one epistemic ground and is limited by its frequent usurpation of other vital epistemic means, such as aesthetics, dreaming, myth making, and visionary experience." 3/5 ayuasca vision painting available on wikimedia commons
"The...intellectual shift in science...from a rigidly Cartesian, determinative, causally conditioned, and mechanistic world order and toward a more holistic, indeterminate, interactive, and nonlocal patterned world of interpersonal events has powerful implications" (22) 4/5
Note: the alternative to rationality (or science) is not faith or belief. Faith says to give up knowledge. Decolonizing science says let's shift how we get there: intersubjectivity rather than individuality and object orientation. Relations not resources. 5/6 More:
"Reason has its place in the field of human experience, but need not be regarded as the most significant means for the attainment of knowledge.... Aesthetic, symbolic, and visionary capabilities deserve equal attention as sources fundamental to...any epistemic world." Irwin 6/6 Photo of forest by Sabastian Unrau on Unsplash

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with David Shorter

David Shorter Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @davidshorter

Aug 18, 2023
Lots of people DM'ing me asking why I think Andy did all this. I hate to psychologize AS, but I can point to some theories about society, particularly how colonialism in its US incarnation has led to so many people wanting to use individual justifications for their identity.
Lisa Aldred is very important here when she discusses how imperialist nostalgia combined with consumerism means that settlers unable to reconcile their colonial identity will consume Indigenous identity to associate as Native, leading to an I am like, or I am liked identity.
As TallBear, Kosasa and others show, this "I want to be like/liked" maneuver then becomes dangerously an "I am" that leads to Indigenous erasure (a key component of colonization). When people ask what's the big deal about #pretendindians, it's this step here: replacement.
Read 11 tweets
Aug 18, 2023
In 1999 I was a graduate student at UCSC and I was learning from and looking up to some of the smartest people I've ever known, many Indigenous. I was doing Indigenous studies as a settler. I was shepherded by the best. Then Andy Smith started at program.
She heard of a Native Studies grad reading group that I was in, including other Native and settler students. Andy said a Native person would have to run it. She took the job and disbanded us. She said non-Natives shouldn't be in Native studies. You can agree or disagree.
One non-Native was distraught, asking as an advisee of a prominent Osage scholar then at Stanford on her committee, with 2 other Indigenous committee members, wasn't she in good mentorship? Andy made it clear to our Native sponsor: no non-Natives should be in an AIS study group.
Read 25 tweets
Aug 9, 2023
Teaching college writing this Fall? Haven't figured WTF to do about ChatGPT and it's variants? This thread is for you. I took a deep dive and am distilling my take-aways for this Fall. The good news is you probably have less to worry about than you think. 1/7 #highered #chatgpt
I put my previous assignment prompts into ChatGPT and ChatGPT4. I was shocked at how good much of the responses were. But it was fairly easy to see the responses were not articulating more than one author well. 2/7 #writing Image
I learned something key: Neither AI app can analyze anything after 2022. This is key since I require students to apply readings to "very" current affairs. You could simply add a current political or social incident to their assignment. #teachingwriting 3/7 Image
Read 8 tweets
Jul 26, 2023
What is happening now in Congress is unbelievable. A holographic principle of multi-dimensionality is being proposed to explain how UAP are here. AOC just told that UAP are monitoring our military training, and disrupting. I've taught UFO studies for 20 years. This is huge. 1/10 Image
To be clear, I've been told specifically not to mention in SETI circles that contact of any sort has taken place (despite what I know from my father's top secret work). And now, our U.S. government is discussing, just now, "non-human activity is known." That's contact! 2/10 Image
Gaetz and 2 other congressmen just admitted they were not allowed to access proof of a UAP encounter months ago (why this congress is perturbed). After getting access to crew, they said their recording and viewing technology was disabled by the UAP. Isn't that a contact? 3/10 Image
Read 10 tweets
Jun 27, 2023
In 2019, I convinced my department that student evaluations of teaching (SET) were not only unreliable gauges of efficacy, but that they would also put us in legal liability if used to decide merit/promotion. If your promotion depends on SET, please take note. A thread. 1/8
In June of 2018, a Canadian course reviewed expert testimony, peer-reviewed scholarship on SET, and did its own study at Ryerson University and determined that race, gender, accent, age, and attractiveness were assessed more than pedagogy. 2/8
universityaffairs.ca/news/news-arti…
Uttl, White, and Gonzalez (2018) showed no (as in zero) relationship between student learning and a professor's evaluative scores by those same students. Save and share with your departments! 3/8
sciencedirect.com/science/articl…
Read 8 tweets
Mar 8, 2023
I like to make the hidden aspects of academia more clear in hopes it helps someone. Want to get an essay "out"? Let's talk about peer review publishing and timing. A grad student said last week that he'd try to get a peer review essay out by this Fall's job market. Thread. 1/9
As the Editor in Chief of a peer-review journal, which may not be standard for all, I want to help authors think of timing. If our journal gets a newly submitted essay, it has to be read to determine if it even gets peer-reviewed. That could take a couple weeks. 2/9
IF an essay meets our standards, we send for review. About half don't pass. We have databases with hundreds of reviewers. Getting just two or three people to agree will take upwards of two months. We can't ask and then say "no thanks." So we only go out to 2 or 3 at a time. 3/9
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(