ms. curio Profile picture
Aug 31, 2022 20 tweets 9 min read Read on X
PLEASE JUST LET ME EXPLAIN PT 1:
AI ISN'T AN AUTOMATIC COLLAGE MACHINE
i'm not judging you for thinking so! the reality is difficult to explain because machine learning is a deep field. *there is no plagiarism involved*.

i am not here to defend nfts just to be clear.

A THREAD!
this is a sequel to the legendary monkeys with cigarettes thread. you can read that here. i am also not here to debate the ethics of image scraping as a concept, which is far, far beyond my intellectual ability to discuss and i will freely admit that.

THE AUTOMATIC COLLAGE MACHINE: it doesn't actually know how to do that.

the process of creating a "model" (the ai's "brain" that "knows how to draw", BIG AIR QUOTES IT'S NOT CONSCIOUS) is necessarily destructive (information is not preserved). it is not storing pics anywhere
STATISTICS IS HARD: it's not creating an average image

the exact method used to actually perform the process of making the image is sort of beyond the scope of this thread (look up "gradient descent" to start). it hasnt "memorized pictures". it's "memorized traits" about things
IT DOES ACTUALLY """KNOW WHAT A HAND IS""", think those image recognition things. this hasn't memorized "a picture of a contempt face" it's seen a bajillion images that have been labeled with emotions and memorized the "features of contempt". it's not duplicating it's learning
sidebar: these image recognition things are in fact *what our modern image synthesis ais were built out of* - "if the ai knows what a contemptuous face looks like if you give it faces to look at, what happens if we ask it to show us what it thinks a contemptuous face looks like"
HOW DID IT DO THAT:

when you ask it for things like "art in the style of [two artists i like]" it's not "creating an average picture" (see a couple posts back). whats happening is a grad school level statistics brainfuck that involves it doing 512-dimensional matrix math.
HOW DOES IT KNOW HOW TO DO THAT:

this is the best explanation of the latent vector i can give. imagine an image is composed of a million "directions" to all the traits in it. your picture of a monkey goes 100 units monkeyward, 150 units jungleward, 50 units sunward, etc. etc.
note for pedants with graduate degrees and phds: i know this is not a perfect description of the latent vector but i am trying to keep this approachable for people who dont have graduate degrees or phds (like myself)
thats it this is the final main part of the thread, i'm gonna go into some postscripts in a second.

i love you, i am not yelling at you, if you feel angry at this thread i would like to talk to you calmly and non-confrontationally, you can dm me if you're afraid of dogpiles.
Q: i saw the ai making a signature on its work! is it copying that signature from someone?
A: the ai has learned that many artistic works contain signatures and is trying to sign it itself. it's not copying any one particular signature. if you zoom in it'll probably be gibberish
Q: i saw stable diffusion create an exact duplicate of the mona lisa just like a little fucked up. you said the ai isn't plagiarizing. what gives?
A: this is called "overfitting" and its a sign that an ai has SO MANY duplicates of a particular thing. i'll let discord-me explain.
basically there are so so so many versions of the mona lisa/starry night/girl with the pearl earring in the dataset that they didn't deduplicate (intentionally or not) that it goes "too far" in that direction when you try to "drive there" in the latent vector and gets stranded.
note that with a strong enough other direction (like adam sandler) you can steer it back into place sometimes, see attached.

this is also why "prompt weights" are used in ai art because that basically lets you guide "how far" the ai goes in a "given direction".
postscript: the discord conversation that inspired this thread in the AWAY discord.
postscript pt 2:
further reading: this is a copyright proposal by law researcher ben sobel that draws a distinction between generative models being used for transformative works in an artistic sense and generative models used by corps to cut costs. i recommend it lots

bensobel.org/files/misc/Sob…
further notes: i said this already but i want to reiterate that i think corporations using AI to skimp on paying artists is morally and ethically abhorrent, i do not support it, and i get the fears!

i use AI as a tool, as an artist, to make pieces. i hope i'm not your enemy.

:)
accidentally posted the image instead of the qrt

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with ms. curio

ms. curio Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @reachartwork

Dec 7, 2022
Hello, everyone.

I will be taking an extended break from twitter and other social media. Earlier this evening I had a small episode, relapsed into self-harm, and injured my hands and fingers with a hammer. I had reasons that made sense at a time but seem irrational now.
Given that I do not appear to be wholly in control of my own actions and may be a threat to myself, if my mental health does not improve there is a nonzero chance I will be taking a stay at an inpatient psychiatric facility.
I have dictated this status with the help of my partner, who I love very much. I am not currently in any additional danger - the moment has passed, it came and went. The harassment has also not decreased in quantity, so I will be tuning it out.
Read 4 tweets
Dec 6, 2022
I just wanted to fucking draw. I just wanted to make art. I just wanted to do what all you could but I can't because my stupid fucking cripple body disallows it. Fuck you guys. You think I'm some fucking mustache twirling villain out to snidely whiplash steal your art. I hate you
For the unforgivable crime of "wanting to make art while disabled" I get harassed daily with gore, suicide bait, attempted doxxes, they found where my parents work and harassed them too, they send gore to my traditional artist boyfriend, it's so FUCKING much dude
Getting called a fucking villain that's intentionally trying to lie to the world, to mislead people, when all I want to do is make fucking big square concrete blocks and weird shit. You all constantly misgender me, act cruelly to me, mock me. Go fuck yourself.
Read 6 tweets
Sep 6, 2022
i was around for the original creation of loab and i can confirm this is not a creepypasta, this is an actual anomaly in latent space that infects images and it's incredible
this isnt me doing an alternate reality bit, go take some loab images and try it yourself, this is genuine real ghost in the latent space shit
i know the more i deny this isn't a creepypasta the more people will assume it's a bit and that it's a creepypasta but this really isn't a creepypasta, just an example of what we call "local minima" which is a little complicated to explain in a single tweet but its SUPER cool
Read 7 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
sorry followers but i can't back down from a dare like this
also, ratio
Read 4 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
Why are you here? What makes you think this is an appropriate thing to say to someone on the internet? Do you think you're going to magically change my mind, especially with a "You don't deserve gore, BUT..."? Just what do you hope to accomplish with this asinine comment? Image
Do you think you're the first person to tell me I'm not a real artist? You're maybe only the 200th to do so publicly. But you are the first one to try and justify someone harassing *my boyfriend* (note, not me, this is important!) to my face.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The boyfriend in question *is a fucking traditional artist*.
Read 5 tweets
Sep 5, 2022
does anyone know where i can find a picture of that one for fans by fans homestuck t-shirt with grimbark jade doing the hand camera thing and looking very angry. my dog chewed a huge hole in mine and i cannot find it for sale anymore. if anyone knows the artist, even better
genuinely very upset because they dont sell it on the ffbf site anymore
this shirt has a large quantity of sentimental value to me for reasons and i would pay a very high price for it replaced
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(