The Man in Seat 61 Profile picture
Sep 6, 2022 15 tweets 9 min read Read on X
The Nightjet reveal event begins at 10, and I’m here. Must be Europe’s first 230km/h sleeper train? #excited? Nope, make that #hoppingupanddownexcited.
Here today are (1) a sleeping-car with 1 & 2 berth compartments, all with shower & toilet, (2) couchette car with three 4-berth compartments & 24 minisuites and (3) a seats car. I sneaked a peek at the compartment side of the couchette car with its distinctive window arrangement.
The event has started, with Leonore Gewessler, Austrian Minister of Climate Action & Energy and Andreas Matthä, head of ÖBB…
The on-board reveal of ÖBB’s new Nightjet begins! First up, the 4-berth couchettes. Note the wireless phone charging points. (Compartment door removed for today’s event to make photography easier)
4-berth couchettes
And now for the greatest innovation on these new sleeper trains: The minisuites, individual privacy at couchette prices.
Each minisuite locks with a card key which also locks shoe locker & cabin-bag-size locker.
Before anyone mentions claustrophobia, they’re fine - I tested it personally, of course. I can even sit up in it. There’s a window & wider bit at the head end. Plus opening to next minisuite if you were travelling with someone else. Length enough for me at 6’2” if I remove shoes.
I can also confirm there are tip-up seats in the corridor outside the minisuites.
And now, the 1 & 2 bed sleepers. 9 standard compartments like this, 1 more spacious deluxe (note doors removed for today’s ease of viewing)
These sleepers are a complete departure from 100 years of the classic European sleeper layout, they make great use of the space.
Again I tested bed length- just enough for me at 6’2” with shoes off. The table can be lowered & a cushion put on it to create a sofa for 2 ppl instead of single seat + table.
The sleeping-car also has one ‘deluxe’ compartment with transverse beds, extra space, and a separate shower cubicle as well as WC.
And finally…. All compartments do THIS at the touch of a button on the compartment control panel. This I was NOT expecting…
Each 7-car unit has 2 sleepers, 3 couchette cars, 1 multi-function car (seats & accessible 4-berth couchette compartment with lo-floor entry), 1 seats car. Each couchette car has 28 minisuites & three 4-berth compartments. First deployment Vienna/Munich to Venice/Florence/Rome.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with The Man in Seat 61

The Man in Seat 61 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @seatsixtyone

Apr 25
I think it's a tough call to claim privatisation didn't boost ridership. Sure, it increased costs and it might have increased fragmentation in certain areas too, but I'm dead sure it boosted passenger numbers. Here's why 👇🧵
To win a franchise against the competition, you needed a gee-whiz idea. This couldn't be based on cutting costs as your track & train costs are fixed. Or raising fares (except at margins) as key inelastic fares were regulated. Or cutting services as service levels were specified.
Many successful franchise bids were based on increasing revenue by increasing passenger numbers. The process literally focused minds on this, and bidders could leverage investment BR arguably wouldn't have got, at least from any typical UK government...
Read 15 tweets
Jan 16
LNER is launching a simplified fares London to/from Newcastle, Berwick & Edinburgh as a pilot scheme. Just 3 fares, all one way - which is good... 🧵 👇
However, most of us had expected the 3 fares to be fully-flexible, semi-flexible & inflexible, in other words, Anytime, Off-Peak & Advance...
Surprise! This new fares structure is Anytime, Advance & Advance, in other words fully-flexible, inflexible with a little flex, and inflexible.
Read 11 tweets
Oct 27, 2023
EUROPEAN TIMETABLE 2024: A thread summarising the most significant changes with the 2024 timetable starting 10 December 2023... Image
1. A new Nightjet sleeper service starts, Brussels-Berlin & Paris-Berlin 3 times a week, due to become daily from October 2024. This restores a key east-west link, ideal for journeys from Paris, London, Brussels to Berlin, Warsaw, Krakow & Prague. See seat61.com/international-…

2. The European Sleeper (Brussels/Amsterdam>Berlin 3 times a week) will be extended to Dresden & Prague from 25 March 2025. However, it will usually only run twice a week from 7 Nov 2023 to 24 March 2024. seat61.com/trains-and-rou…

Read 14 tweets
Sep 22, 2023
MILAN TO LONDON BY TRAIN in a day. First up, carefully avoiding August landslides, the 08:20 EuroCity from Milan Centrale to Geneva…

Platformed late, think this is an last-minute Italian replacement for the booked Swiss unit. 15 late start. I have 2 hours in Geneva. Why do booking systems insist on offering 9-minute connections in Switzerland between Italy & Paris? Inexperienced travellers actually book those!
Weather’s a bit off, but enjoying a cafe latte from the restaurant as Lake Maggiore rolls by…
Read 25 tweets
Sep 19, 2023
IT’S ITALY’S MOST EPIC SLEEPER TRAIN: Over 950 miles from Milan to Palermo, it’s a train that goes onto a boat, and a private single-bed sleeper cost me all of €84.90. I can resist anything except temptation…

Also available as 2 or 3 berth…. Toiletries kit (for your delight & delectation)
Breakfast is included. We appear to be here…
Read 16 tweets
Jul 6, 2023
Ticket office closures: A second thread.
Reading my first thread, you can see I was expecting proposals that were more rational, reasoned, co-ordinated. I was wrong...
I was expecting ticket offices to be retained at category A & B stations, reviewed at category C & D, closed at category E, for example. Logical, consistent... (Station categorisation is explained at )en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki…
The actual proposals are far more savage than anyone expected, and totally inconsistent across the network. Euston t/o to close but Kings Cross remains? Glasgow closed but Edinburgh retained?
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(