Fabian Fischer 🎱 Rack and Slay Profile picture
Sep 13, 2022 9 tweets 12 min read Read on X
Some have called 2022 the year of "microgames". In the wake of @poncle_vampire a host of ~$2 games were created mostly by solo developers or tiny #IndieDev teams in the span of a few months.
Let's talk game dev experimentalism!
🧵👇 1/9 Screenshot of Vampire Survi...Screenshot of Shotgun KingScreenshot of StacklandsScreenshot of Just King
2/9
The reception, surrounding many of these titles is open, forgiving and appreciative. Turns out if players didn't spend $60 and didn't get hyped up for years of dev time by a faceless corporation, the human side of #GameDev actually shines through sometimes, even on Steam. 4 exemplares Steam reviews:...
3/9
This in turn opens up #GameDesign space. "Bullet heaven" is a result of flipping a genre on its head: YOU are the bullet hell! Of course there's iteration in microgames too, but the possibility to experiment is real (e.g. @caiysware's "What if your bullets are minions?"). Screenshot of BrotatoScreenshot of Seraph's Last...Screenshot of Boneraiser Mi...Screenshot of Nomad Survival
4/9
The brilliant @PUNKCAKE_delice have made exactly this experimentation their whole mission as a studio: one game a month, each one mechanically unique. What if Minesweeper, but twin-stick? What if tower-defense, but match-3? What if Pong, but it's actually a #roguelike shmup? Screenshot of MetavaxxScreenshot of Scavenger of ...Screenshot of MoonpongScreenshot of The Wratch's Den
5/9
Of course the "regular game jam" model existed before, most notably in the form of the inexhaustibly creative @sokpopco. In the midst of this new microgame-welcoming atmosphere though, they had a big breakout hit with the unique Stacklands. Screenshot of Stacklands
6/9
At the same time @panic is rolling out their #Playdate handheld that encourages experimentation by design: It comes with minimal buttons and a seemingly retro 1-bit display, but at the same time features a physical crank, i.e. an entirely new kind of continuous input.
7/9
I've mentioned platforms like @Pokittocom, @theGamebuino or @bateskecom's Arduboy that create ecosystems encouraging small projects and experiments.
As #PICO8's @lexaloffle put it: "I just love to see isolated little thoughts." (@NYUGameCenter talk: ) Joseph White, creator of PI...Screenshot of Alpine AlpacaScreenshot of SooZScreenshot of Pullfrog
8/9
At this point, another shoutout is due to content creators out there who embrace experiments, who don't shy away from taking smaller titles seriously: @Esty8nine, @extarscube, @MrDelightful2, @nookrium, @OlexaYT, @RetromationYT, @SplattrCatGames, @TheTimeToGrind, @wildfremdYT Esty8nine playing ExodemicExtar playing PicokaijuTitle screen for Olexa's In...TimeToGrind playing TV Kid
9/9
We see more instances of "games as conceptual art", beautiful small windows into specific creative minds, come to the surface: fischerdesign.medium.com/games-as-conce…

In an industry where the big projects are becoming increasingly anonymous assembly line productions, that's very refreshing. "Seeing is not as simp...

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Fabian Fischer 🎱 Rack and Slay

Fabian Fischer 🎱 Rack and Slay Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Ludokultur

Dec 28, 2023
Time to pick my personal games of the year again! As usual, only considering full releases (no "early access"). First things first, here's a list of contenders. Not by any means all the new games I played this year, but the top 30 that were "in the running".

GOTY top 5 below! 🏆 GOTY Contenders Against the Storm, Backpack Hero, Beyond the Long Night, Bing in Wonderland, Boneraiser Minions, Brick Odyssey, Brotato, Chess Survivors, Crop Rotation, Desktop Dungeons: Rewind, Dungeons & Jewels, Endgame of Devil, Football Manager 2024 Mobile, Friends vs Friends, Geo Gods, Laya’s Horizon, Luck be a Landlord, Molecano, Mosa Lina, Mr. Sun’s Hatbox, Paper Planet, PLONG, Qwert, Roboquest, Spellmasons, Storyteller, Tiny Civilization, Trouble Juice, Well Word, Wildfrost
🏆 Backpack Hero by @thejaspel1 🏆
Safe to say this title opened up lots of design space (looking at you @TweetFurcifer), but it's also a great game in its own right with tons of creative mechanics and, more recently, a story mode featuring a Tarkov-like risk vs. reward metagame. Backpack Hero screenshot
🏆 Brotato by @blobfishdev 🏆
The best spawn of the "Vampire Survivors wave" in my book. The game loop alternating between drafting phases and simple (yet non-trivial) action works incredibly well. Builds are nicely granular and flexible instead of following pre-defined recipes. Brotato screenshot
Read 6 tweets
Oct 19, 2023
So many of the #gameDesign thoughts I've talked about over the years come together to form something truly beautiful in @wombatstuff's Mosa Lina.

Examples and relevant articles below! 🧵
Mosa Lina focuses 100% on movement. Almost no numbers to think about. Just find ways to use your random tools to traverse space. Touch the fruit, get back to the portal. Very simple, very elegant, but also emergently quite complex!

📜 Article: gamedeveloper.com/design/spatial…
Mosa Lina doesn't use extrinsic rewards. No "meta progression". No achievements. Every time you open it, you’re in the same state you were in every other time. An ode to the intrinsic motivation of play.

📜 Article 1:
📜 Article 2: gamedeveloper.com/business/rewar…
fischerdesign.medium.com/artifact-makes…
"No saves. No progress. Only random."
Read 9 tweets
Sep 4, 2023
Here's a #gameDesign thought: a #roguelike (run-based game with no meta power progression) emphasizes the competence gain of the player, while a #roguelite (run-based game with meta power progression) emphasizes the competence gain of the avatar.

1/10
More context below! 👇 Rogue Legacy meta progression
2/10
Research based on self-determination theory has previously linked our innate need for competence to the "fun" of playing games.

Here's an article from back in the day (based on the work of @richardmryan3, @csrigby, @ShuhBillSkee): gamedeveloper.com/design/why-do-…
3/10
Both roguelikes and roguelites usually focus on competence as a key motivator. They're supposed to be difficult, you're supposed to "get better" and overcome their challenges. The question is whether "better" relates to player skill and learning or virtual avatar power gain. Vampire Hunters meta
Read 11 tweets
May 23, 2023
With many recent Vampire-Survivors-likes relying on emptiness, simple enemy behaviors ("walk towards player") and stats, I feel I should reiterate my stance on "spatiality" in #GameDesign.

Don't just "have space" (instead of flat math), but MEANINGFUL SPACE! 🗺️

⬇️ Examples ⬇️

Vampire Survivors
Heat Signature
Spelunky
Invisible, Inc.
Heat Signature (@Pentadact): Everything revolves around movement. Gadgets swap positions, wind through connected space, teleport, key-clone or disable in a straight-lined shape, slow-down time etc. No number crunching, no "health points" or "damage" or "stats". Voilà, Emergence! In Heat Signature you enter procedurally generated spaceships and, by making use of a diverse set of gadgets, try to reach a specific target object or person. Almost everything in the game is centered on movement. For example, there are multiple types of teleport gadgets that e.g. allow you to swap positions with an enemy ("Swapper"), to instantly move through open corridors and doors ("Sidewinder"), or to jump to any position within a certain radius for a short amount of time ("Visitor"). The "Key Cloner" lets you steal key cards if the guard carryin...
Spelunky (@mossmouth): Bombs open up space, ropes enable upward movement. Most items are about space: jump boots, climbing gloves, jetpack. Enemy behavior is all about shapes: spiders jump, bats fly, mummies vomit into corridors etc. Any combinations are clear, emergent, varied! Bombs allow you to reach sealed off areas or create new connections. Ropes can be used to move upwards, which goes against the natural gravity-based direction the game usually takes. The same is true for climbing gloves and the iconic jetpack that additionally increases your horizontal reach. Jumping boots increase your jumping height. The mattock can manipulate a level's layout. Spike shoes prevent you from sliding over ice blocks.  But it is not just the items. The behavior of each enemy and trap in the game has immediate spatial impact and forces you to reconsider how to move. You cannot...
Read 10 tweets
Nov 8, 2022
Today I'll talk about my personal #GameDesign and #IndieDev philosophy, specifically these principles: fischergamedesign.com/design-philoso…

I will add example games as screenshots (game names and more details in the alt text if you're interested).

Thread! 🧵👇 The Ludokultur logo in front of a black-and-white image of E
Games I value are all about interactivity. 🎮

I want mechanical challenge (either in a systemic / strategic way or reflex-based) or experiential narrative (i.e. a story you *feel* via mechanics, not one that is told to you). In either case: No wannabe movies! Monster Train is entirely focused on the systemic challenge Celeste is first-and-foremost a precision platformer. While What Remains of Edith Finch tells stories via mechanics. YouThe story of SOMA could not have been told the same way in a
Games I value enrich players' lives. ➕

I want to to experience intrinsically motivated discovery of either systemic insight or narrative meaning. Don't bait me with dishonest "engagement boosters", don't wave shiny-but-empty carrots in front of my face. Braid makes you discover the inner-workings of its time-basePortal is all about placing you in a unique context - a worlInto the Breach is a very "pure" strategy game in Heat Signature does away with "math stuff" almost
Read 12 tweets
Aug 12, 2022
Always nice to find support for one's #GameDesign thoughts in academia!

This great piece by @dingstweets, @Marc_M_Andersen, @JulianKiverste1 and @PredictiveLife connects to @raphkoster's Theory of Fun and some of my own musings: frontiersin.org/articles/10.33…

Details below! 🧵

1/10 "Mastering uncertainty...
One of the core findings is concerned with players not being as much after success as they are after improvement, i.e. reducing failure or "expected error" or, simply, learning. The more of this they get (per time played), the better.

2/10 A quote from the article: &...
I wrote about this phenomenon here: gamedeveloper.com/design/why-ele…

My thinking back then was based on @Qt3's "Chick Parabola". You traverse phases of competence until you're so good at a game that the additional value (i.e. "error reduction") per time stops being worth it.

3/10 A parabola that initially r...
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(