Ajit Niranjan Profile picture
Sep 15, 2022 12 tweets 5 min read Read on X
slowly reading through some of the internal documents that oil executives were forced to turn over to congressional investigators and the honesty on display here is wild 1/
here is a senior lobbyist at shell discussing communication strategies for a workshop on carbon capture and storage that it jointly sponsored in 2019 2/
shell tweeted a poll in 2020 asking "what are you willing to change to help reduce emissions" that it estimates reached up to 309m people after getting trashed by climate activists, forcing the company to address internal pushback even after press coverage died 3/
in a discussion about whether shell's tweet was gaslighting, one government lobbyist said the criticism was "not totally without merit" while another described it as "pretty tone-deaf" 4/
internal slides from 2020 show how shell communicates its business strategy ("ultimately this means being the world's most valuable energy company") incl. "a careful and continuous balancing act that conveys credible optimism while setting realistic expectations" 5/
a shell employee in 2020 said the net-zero pathway has the company published has "nothing to do with our business plans", to which a colleague replied that mixing the two (the net-zero pathway and the company's actual plans) "would not be a good thing" 6/
an exxon advert for algae as a clean fuel source vs an exxon employee describing the research 7/
in 2017 an exxon environment manager told the ceo - i think - that limiting warming to 2 degrees celsius requires "unprecedented gains in efficiency and transformation of the global energy sector" for which they don't see the policy, finance or affordable tech to support it 8/
exxon also requested an oil and gas industry statement remove reference to the 2015 paris agreement on climate change in case it created "a potential commitment to advocate on the paris agreement goals" 9/
last year a chevron manager sent these talking points to the company's vice president for strategy and sustainability and it's a pretty succinct summary of how fossil fuel companies use the language of social justice to manipulate the public conversation on climate solutions 10/
if that wasn't enough for you there are plenty more quotes here 11/11
if any current/former employees of these oil companies would be willing to speak about this, either on- or off-the-record, my dms are open and i would love to hear from you

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Ajit Niranjan

Ajit Niranjan Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @NiranjanAjit

Mar 29
a couple of weeks ago i met a man working one of the hardest jobs in the transition to a clean economy 1/ Image
patrick burrichter cooks for a dozen berlin hospitals that offer patients a “planetary health” diet - one that is rich in plants and light in animals 2/
the challenge he faces every day - getting people to eat less meat in a polluting country where heart disease is the biggest killer - is one of the biggest climate and public health problems that is yet to be solved 3/
Read 18 tweets
Nov 28, 2023
a couple of months ago i went to a yacht show in a tax haven and asked dozens of people how they felt about their carbon footprints 1/
the responses ranged from denial and disinterest to excuses to acceptance and action, but what was striking was how similar they were to the ways in which middle-class people in rich countries justify their own polluting lifestyles 2/
some yacht owners told me they knew they emitted a lot of carbon but that it didn't make sense to "go after the individual" 3/
Read 17 tweets
Sep 23, 2023
this week the guardian launched its new european edition with an investigation that found 98% of us live in areas where the air is clogged with more toxic particles than doctors recommend we breathe 1/ Image
concentrations of fine particles are highest in skopje, which i visited last month, where bad air makes people die 2-3 years too early and hits the economy with sick days, brain drain, healthcare spending and self-imposed lockdowns 2/ theguardian.com/world/2023/sep…
in belgrade, where i stopped on the way down, officials had concluded half a century ago that pollution could be cleaned up without curbing economic growth but doctors say little has changed 3/ theguardian.com/world/2023/sep…
Read 7 tweets
Jul 29, 2023
i find it kinda hard to make people realise how much heat hurts so imagine a jumbo jet fell from the sky this morning and killed everyone on board 1/
that’s about how many people are dying from heat every day in europe right now, if this summer is anything like the last, only without you hearing about the lives they lived or the grief of their loved ones 2/ https://t.co/YjI9rjWLUknature.com/articles/s4159…

some people are killed outright by heat stroke when they are forced to work in the sun or can’t go anywhere to cool down - builders, farmers, people sleeping rough 3/ theguardian.com/world/2023/jul…
Read 10 tweets
Mar 25, 2023
i spoke to scientists, negotiators and observers at the secret approval session of the big new climate report about how badly governments watered down the text in the political summary on which they eventually signed off 1/ heatmap.news/politics/ipcc-…
the intergovernmental panel on climate change writes reports with summaries for policymakers that are drafted by scientists then approved, after fierce negotiations, by delegates from 195 countries pushing their own interests 2/
the process is closed off to journalists — except for the earth negotiations bulletin, a reporting service from a think tank with access to most of the negotiations — so delegates and scientists can speak frankly 3/
Read 10 tweets
Mar 22, 2023
the most powerful climate report of the decade was published on monday, after 195 governments fought over the words in its summary for policymakers, and the only media allowed in the room just published its account of who lobbied for what 1/
the earth negotiations bulletin is allowed into approval sessions of the hotly contested ipcc summaries for policymakers (though, as a couple of scientists have pointed out, they do not have access to the huddles where detailed discussions happen) 2/ enb.iisd.org/58th-session-i…
finland tried to say the root cause of climate change is fossil fuels, but saudi arabia pushed back, and the line didn't make it into the summary for policymakers (which is separate from the scientific report that can't be touched by governments) 3/ ImageImage
Read 20 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(