A little thread 🧵 15 years ago I sold a house to a really nice guy called Paul. The house was owned by a real character called Fidel so we had a lot of fun with this sale. Obvs my client and I got on well as we bonded over the sheer lunacy of Fidel
Post purchase we found a lot of, shall we say “quirks” with Fidel’s DIY obsession so I visited often to see the latest “you’ll never guess what we have found now”.
I made a video at the house where Paul recommended our company and services and showed us around a bit and Paul even bought a car off me before I gave him the money back when he told me it couldn’t really handle the steep hill to get up to the house.
Last week I got a mail from Paul “Graham. I need to sell the house quickly, I’ve got cancer and the doctor has given me three to four weeks”
So we got to work. I introduced the family to our recommended lawyer here and asked for a load of information to include in a power of attorney. We even contacted a local solicitor near the hospital willing to do a hospital visit to get the document signed.
I searched through all old mails and paperwork to find details for the POA to give to the lawyer and we even found a potential buyer who would be interested in buying it, the property was perfect for them.
I picked up some keys from the cleaner here and went to the house, it was like reacquainting myself with an old friend. I forgot my drone so went back the next day and flew around a bit to help with the sale in case the first client decided not to go through with it
Finally, yesterday morning, we had all of the information necessary to send the POA to the solicitor…
At the same time yesterday morning I got a phone call. “Paul died last night” That few weeks he had been given turned out to be 9 days…
Yes it’s a sad story. Paul was a really nice guy and made everyone he met happy. He married his long time girlfriend last week before his death to make sure everything was tied up in the Uk with no loose ends. However here is the lesson…
If he had had a POA already in place here in Spain then it’s likely we could have sold the house for his family before his death (or even after but that’s another story) now we have to do a few things and the family will not be able to sell the house for at least a year…
We will need to register the death here in Spain requiring a death certificate and translation (possibly). Both heirs will have to visit to get a POA and NIE number so the house can be registered in their name. We have to hope the Spanish registrar accepts the UK will…
…as Paul didn’t have a will here in Spain. The process of inheritance is long and costly without the money from the sale being available. There is also a potential inheritance tax issue for both heirs which will need to be paid a couple of months after the death is registered…
The property cannot be sold until it is registered in the names of both heirs which will take around a year. I guess the moral of the story is tie up all potential loose ends in Spain as soon as you buy a property to avoid what can become a costly, drawn out process …
And finally RIP Paul. You were a good lad. (And would appreciate the GIF)

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Graham Hunt (Valencia Property) 🦣 @grahunt

Graham Hunt (Valencia Property) 🦣 @grahunt Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @grahunt

May 20, 2021
(Thread) We've started a search for the worst property for sale in Spain in terms of price per m2, facilities, lack of convenience etc... The question is can anyone possibly beat this in Madrid? 65000 Euros for 5m2 of useful space, 4th floor without lift idealista.com/inmueble/93646…
We got this idea from one we saw near Valencia. When the main photo of the best aspect of the house is one of the 2 dog kennels then you know there is something amiss idealista.com/inmueble/88853…
Apparently a "Caseta con mejoras" Those "improvements" are hard to find from the photos
This one is a bit of a cheat as I know it's a mistake so if you find this it doesn't count. However it's fun to think of someone wanting to view a 1 bed, 56m2 ground floor apartment 20km from Barcelona for 3.1m Euros, a mere 55000 Euros per m2. idealista.com/inmueble/93674…
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(