Mujuni Raymond Profile picture
Sep 22, 2022 7 tweets 4 min read Read on X
There are 6 overbearing points in #AccessToInfo that many Ugandans should pick interest in.

I'll list them....
1. Alot more citizens think government should only withhold information if it affects national security

#AccessToInfo Image
2. Attendance of community meetings has gradually declined over time, only 4 in ten people attend them and only 2 in 10 are able to speak at those meetings

#AccessToInfo Image
3. Citizens have less confidence now than before that govt can give them information they ask for, even if that information is school capitation grants #AccessToInfo Image
4. Citizens have more trust in what they hear over the radio than in any other platform of communication

#AccessToInfo Image
5. Many citizens do not know where to go in search of public information

#AccessToInfo Image
6. The number of people making successful requests for information has fallen over time

#AccessToInfo Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mujuni Raymond

Mujuni Raymond Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @qataharraymond

Aug 12
There’s a lot of justified anger at the state of affairs in Uganda but anger alone is not enough, it’s possible, even with a change of guard that’s publicly hailed, we could remain in the same state - or worse.

How are we thinking strategically about how to govern Uganda? 🇺🇬
I’ve often asked my friends who are a heartbeat away from the presidency what would the first 100 days of their leadership look like? Because if you cannot imagine them, then you cannot implement them.
A government is a large, interest filled bureaucracy that is not easy to navigate. A new president, for example, cannot sack a PS, and even if they could, they’d need to immediately replace them. So what’s the short term plan for continuity and the long term plan for reform?
Read 10 tweets
Jul 22
THREAD:

The response to a march on parliament, surely, cannot be violent breakup, detentions, arrests and intimidation. It is, counter-productive, unhelpful and dangerous both in the short and long run....
The Ugandan state is the net-loser in corruption. For all the revenue the country collects [25.2 trillion shillings]. Core investment in health & education is still dismal. Investment in health per person is 27,000 shs per person per year & education at 185k per person per year
You cannot prevail over such a low investment in basic public goods with the arrogance, impunity and broad day theft of the political class many of whom are aloof, insensitive, crass and macabre in their ways
Read 15 tweets
May 6
Small Thread:

We don't talk about wealth as a matter of public policy and yet that is one of the ways in which it represents itself. In our lifetime, ofcourse, some people will have a lot more money than others, that isn't the problem at all.
The rich getting rich isn't a problem - we shouldn't atleast make it a problem. The problem is the poor getting poorer and being unable to afford basic public goods; health & education and being unable to live decent life; free from fear, anxiety and basic human dignity
The chopper and expensive car hiring isn't the problem, it is the manifestation of the problem.

Wealth as a matter of public policy is measured by GNI per capita [Atlas method]. Uganda has had growth in that regard, currently at $930 from $250 in 2002 Image
Read 11 tweets
Mar 14
Small Thread;

I see that legislators have now lost all sense of shame about the immoral plunder and legislated corruption of public funds. It’s important that this moment is captured right in Ugandan history

Why?
The stated outcome for legislation globally and nationally is to make law for the good governance, peace and order and development. To do this Uganda’s parliament is parceled into constituencies and the total number of MPs from those are 519 [elected] 38 [elected non-suffrage]
They sit thrice a week; Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday and conduct business through either committees or through the house. So the total number of sittings a legislator can have is 780 per term [5yrs] broken down to 156 per annum - some adjustment to these numbers though - nxt
Read 20 tweets
Nov 11, 2023
Events like Nyege Nyege aren't where the 'Uganda' project, they are in fact where it thrives. If I sat in a corner office of govt, I'd do the following
1. Have a registration stall at the entrance for taxes, pension [nssf], national ID's and a general QR code survey for gov't services delivery

2. I'd get the DEO, DHO districts in the East to exhibit, register volunteers for teaching, health services and private donations
3. I'd run a small fundraiser for people to drop all the coin change into boxes for renovation of defunct public infra in Jinja, like the library. I'd even run a small paid for quiz on knowledge of Jinja where proceeds go to the city coffers.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 16, 2023
Small thread for journalists/journalism students and enthusiasts on managing access, ethical considerations and sourcing from the Rwenzururu story.
I’d always passionately covered the tensions in Rwenzururu from my earlier days at @ugandarn I infact won a grant from @ACME_Uganda to investigate the land conflicts there and during that story I could tell there were deep seated grievances btn the kingdom and govt
Key among these was that Kasese which was the capital of the Rwenzururu kingdom despite being the most populated district outside of the capital had some of the worst indicators on education, health, roads etc.
Read 25 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(