@NovoNordiskLive It would be nice if Novo Nordisk's unbranded insulin strategy in the U.S. wasn't so half-hearted. Why is only a single product in the U.S. unbranded? What's behind that?
@NovoNordiskLive We know according to Novo Nordisk's 2021 annual report that >1 million Americans relied on its unbranded insulins, and yet only a single product is unbranded. That seems half-hearted to me!
@NovoNordiskLive Why not every product in the U.S. being unbranded?
@NovoNordiskLive I know with only 16 minutes remaining that I am unlikely to get a response today. But you can private message me tomorrow. That seems fair.
@NovoNordiskLive So this page came from the Novo Nordisk 2021 Annual Report. Observe the third column in the last bullet point. Image
@NovoNordiskLive Curiously, the company's unbranded insulin is just a single product: Insulin Aspart Injection U-100. While it has indeed helped >1 million Americans, since the co perpetuates the rebate-driven price inflation, why not offer unbranded versions of every product you sell?
@NovoNordiskLive This slide came from the full-year 2020 investor presentation, whereby NN says it paying 74% of gross US sales to PBMs as rebates. Sadly few patients actually benefit from those rebates. Hence, the necessity for Novo Nordisk Pharma's unbranded insulin offerings used by >1 mm ppl. Image
@NovoNordiskLive NNPI was an effective work-around (developed by rival Eli Lilly & Co) to a dysfunctional drug distribution system, but why stop with a product whose patent protections are now expired?
@NovoNordiskLive As long as your U.S. business unit Novo Nordisk, Inc. continues to perpetuate the rebate problem, NN has an ethical obligation to respond with more products in the NNPI portfolio to ensure more widespread access to patients victimized by the rebate system your company perpetuates

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Scott Strumello

Scott Strumello Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!


Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

  2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @sstrumello

Sep 28
Did you know that each of the "Big 3" Insulin makers sell unbranded versions of their bestselling insulins?
Lilly was the first to introduce Lilly Insulin Lispro back in 2019. Image
But just a few months later, rival Novo Nordisk introduced an unbranded version of Novolog it calls Novo Nordisk Insulin Aspart Image
Read 11 tweets
Feb 25
Now, will they also act to ensure insulin is not marked-up 1200% by the time it gets to the pharmacy checkout counter? Drug wholesalers play a role and were ID’d by USC’s @SchaefferCenter as drug channel entities helping themselves to money they did not earn on insulin.
Fact: USC research found that PBM's were responsible for 53% of insulin price hikes. The remaining 47% was split among drug wholesalers/distributors and pharmacy chains.
53% is still a majority, but other drug channel entities still need to assume responsibility for their own abhorrent behavior in perpetuating a problem creating an insulin pricing crisis in the U.S.
Read 8 tweets
Aug 6, 2021
Novo Nordisk CEO Lars Fruergaard Jørgensen said the insulin field is "largely characterized as an interchangeable market" right now, adding "Buyers have been substituting fast-acting insulin brands for years".
Much of his company's current insulin push is on a new basal insulin analogue icodec which largely targets the Type 2 diabetes universe.
But the co is also hoping to get the 1st data on its glucose-sensitive insulin later this year. Insulins naturally lower patients' glucose levels, Jørgensen said, which is "potentially dangerous."
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!


0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy


3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!