Suzanne F. Boswell Profile picture
Sep 22, 2022 14 tweets 5 min read Read on X
Something that blows my mind is how RECENTLY knitting was invented.

Knitting is probably 1000 years old. Weaving, by contrast, dates back to the neolithic era. 🧵 blue and white patterned sock, from Egypt. Fashioned between
Although knitting is often associated with Northern Europe (Ireland, Latvia, the Scandanavian countries), knitting does not originate in Europe. Instead, the first handknit fragments appear in Northern Africa - in Egypt.

[Textile museum collection, "Sock," 1000-1200 AD] Blue and white patterned socks, with geometric patterning, f
We know these Egyptian socks not the “earliest” knitting, because they’re so complex. They involve multiple colors, and turning a heel (the use of short rows). Knitting had probably been around for a few hundred years.

[Textile museum collection, "Sock," 1000-1200 AD] A blue and white sock from Egypt, 1000-1200 AD.
Knitting likely came to Europe through Muslim artisans working in Spain.

Case in point: the first European knit pieces were found in the tomb of Prince Fernando de la Cerdo (Spain, 1275) - silk pillowcases that include the Arabic word for "blessings" in stylized Kufic script. Pillowcase, silk, with geometric designs (the pillow is gold
In the 13th and 14th century, we start to see "Knitting Madonnas" in paintings from Spain, Germany, and Italy - an indication that knitting was becoming more widespread throughout Europe.

[Buxtehude Madonna, Bertram of Minden, late 1300s] Painting of Angels, Jesus, and Madonna. The Virgin Mary is k
And then the 14th-16th century see an explosion of knitted objects (most of which were made with incredibly small thread). Liturgical gloves, purses, caps, trousers... French pouch from the Cathedral of Sens, 13th century,  InclSpanish literugical gloves with red and gold thread, 16th ce
My favorite "Renaissance" knitted object are the Duke August of Saxony's silk trunkhose (1555) - with a knit codpiece, obviously. Knit trousers, or trunks. Dark yellow, includes a prominent
Knitted objects in the Renaissance were mostly created by (all-male) knitting guilds, which were prominent throughout Western and Central Europe.

Here is a knitted masterwork - a carpet - created by an unknown knitter from Strasbourg, France (1781) Knitted carpet depicting Jacob's dream and Adam and Eve (amo
Some forms of knitting are even more recent - I discovered recently that *cables* (from cabled sweaters) were invented around the turn of the 20th century, in the Aran Islands in Ireland. two cable-knit braids, both in white.
It's so fascinating to me that cables, which tend to denote old-fashioned knitting, or traditional knitting, are so young.

~100 years old. WILD.

(Seen here, iconically, on Chris Evans in Knives Out) Chris Evans in Knives Out wearing a cable-knit sweater.
Anyway, this is some of the textile history I think about when I'm knitting extremely fancy dishcloths.

(I am basic in my knitting). Three knitted dishcloths, one still on the needles, in a kni
A lot of people are replying to this thread with "well, actually, there are knit socks that are 8000 years old."

But these objects are not knit! They're made by Nålebinding - a single-needle fiber craft that creates structurally different fabric.

[Pair of socks, V&A museum]
Archeologists sometimes mistook Nålebound objects for knitting, because they can look superficially alike.

But the two methods are very different (knots vs. loops, one needle vs. two). It's like comparing weaving to knitting. Very different fiber craft! An example of nalebinding, green, with one needle. An example of knitting (red), with two needles.
Textile historians sometimes had to follow the path of a single thread to figure out whether a particular object was knit or Nålebinding, because they can look so visually similar.

See also:

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Suzanne F. Boswell

Suzanne F. Boswell Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @sf_boswell

Jun 25, 2022
Okay, twitter people: do you believe that voting can help halt/reverse the overturning of Roe v. Wade?

Do you want CONCRETE STEPS to increase voter turnout that are much more effective than "yelling at desperate and scared people on twitter"?

This thread is for you.
1. First and foremost, talk to your friends and family and neighbors. Are they registered? Are they sure? Do they have a plan to vote?

You are most likely to persuade people you have a relationship with. Help them register and vote.

self.com/story/how-to-a…
2. Donate and volunteer for organizations that specifically work to increase voter turnout + fight against voter suppression

Nationally, I like the Progressive Turnout Project and the NAACP.

turnoutpac.org/who-we-are/
Read 14 tweets
Jun 24, 2022
As a French person, I can assure everyone that "secularism" does not mean "no religion in public spaces."

It means "constant, accepted catholic presence in public spaces."
You know why French secularism is just christian supremacy?

Because nuns can wear veils in public. But muslim women cannot wear niqabs.
You know why French secularism is just islamophobia?

Because old churches are maintained by the French government. That's not the government getting involved with religion, apparently. That's "patrimoine" (preserving cultural heritage).

But burkinis are illegal.
Read 6 tweets
Dec 8, 2021
A thread on the current SFF discourse:

Since Saturday (Dec. 4th), I have been researching the allegations against SFF author Neon Yang. This thread contains what I have found.
First, the background. According to hundreds of tweets/ twitter commentators, in January 2020, SFF author Neon Yang drove and/or spearheaded a harassment campaign against Isabel Fall, author of "Helicopter Story" (using Fall's current title).
A wide swath of tweets attributes Isabel Fall's hospitalization, decision to remain in the closet, and choice to remove her story from Clarksworld to Yang's actions.
Read 25 tweets
Jul 15, 2021
There's a common myth that gymnastics is dominated by *teenagers* - an assumption that leads to journalists calling Simone Biles a "senior citizen" because she's... 24. 🧵
Both media and a lot of casual fans assume that adolescence is the perfect age for (female) gymnasts. Once a gymnast is in her 20s, she's basically like an expired cartoon of milk.

Or, per this story, anyone over 21 is "over the hill." ⛰️
(Side note: I would love to know which "major international prizes" 14 and 15 year old gymnasts are supposedly "scooping up," given that the minimum age for competing in senior international elite competitions is... 16).
Read 23 tweets
May 31, 2021
Last week, Simone Biles successfully performed Yurchenko double pike, and since then, it's all people can talk about

Now you might be wondering what exactly makes this vault so groundbreaking. So, if you're interested, let's take a second to explore:
A Yurchenko double pike = a roundoff back-handspring onto the vaulting table, and two and a half flips off the table in the pike position.

But what makes this vault more difficult than most of the vaults we see at the olympics?
Now, a warning. Vaults are pretty technical, so this is going to be a loooong explanation. But this is a groundbreaking vault, so it's worth it!
Read 25 tweets
Jun 26, 2020
For years, I have asked why the SFF community has embraced Elizabeth Bear post-RaceFail.
And now here we are.
Remember how Elizabeth Bear basically *started* RaceFail, traumatized and gaslit a bunch of BIPOC fans + authors, never really apologized, and now gets to be seen as a super-progressive SFF author?

Being a white woman is a hell of a drug.
For the record, I believe Alexandra Rowland and I'm so fucking furious.
Read 17 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(