CBG San Profile picture
Sep 28, 2022 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Since rain was playing the spoilsport today, we could not visit thein attractions in Ninh Binh, #Vietnam. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as we ended up visiting the sprawling Bai Dinh pagoda complex. It is interesting on many counts. Image
Buddhists in Vietnam belong to Mahayana sect. Therefore, depiction of buddha's face is closer to that from Mathura school unlike that from Theravada sect, followed by Tibbetans, Laddakhis etc Image
The tall pagoda in the complex was built by Indians and has descriptions of Buddha, his life story in Sanskrit (I can already see political Neo Buddhists frothing over). The guide (a Buddhist herself) was in awe that we could read it and expressed her high regard for devbhasha Image
It had a replica of Mahabodhi temple at Gaya, Bihar in the main shrine. We could see references to India all over the place Image
What I found most amazing was the fact that a large part of this complex was constructed after 2003. Remember, this is in a communist country where people are "atheists". It is so large that the 1st shrine is 4 km from entrance and the rest of complex too takes up another 4 km. ImageImageImage
And I have found so many pagan/ folk/ancestor worship shrines in Vietnam too. It kind of tells me that people don't become "secular" or "atheists" or "communal" depending on the type of current government. Countries retain their belief systems, sometimes hidden , sometimes not so

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with CBG San

CBG San Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @OnlyNakedTruth

Apr 20
Have seen enough such nonsense. Let's debunk it.

Aviator sir, unlike the mental image in your mind. Nobody was standing on the upper floors to direct sunbeam below.

Let's understand a little bit. 1/n
Most Indian festivals follow Luni solar calendar. Hence Ramnavami date will keep on varying year to year. So how do you design a non PC based autonomous solution to orient mirrors itself on Ram Navami every year to direct sunrays? 2/n
Now do you understand the challenge?

12 lunar months are smaller than one solar year but 13 lunar months are too long.

A Metonic cycle is a 19 year interval that helps align solar and lunar years . So after 19 years Ramanavami date will repeat on same day

3/n Image
Read 7 tweets
Mar 20
Madam calls herself a food historian but her knowledge on the topic is extremely shallow. Let's dissect it.
According to her , "pure vegetarian" is a casteist practice found only in India.

My last trip abroad was to Shanghai - famous for variety of non veg options. Right?

Except that I ate at only "pure vegetarian" Chinese restaurants. There were mostly run by Buddhists from Tibet. Image
Now let's move to another Asian country - Malaysia. Work has often taken me to Penang. Again, I have always eaten at "Pure Veg" restaurants in Penang run by ethnic Chinese community. Simple Google search will show huge number of Chinese vegetarian only restaurants Image
Read 9 tweets
Jan 20
Srirangam is beautiful. For those on TL who may not know, it is one of the largest temples of Vishnu on an island between two rivers near Trichy.

Vishnu ji is resting on Adishesh shaiyya . Pratima is sooooo large that you will likely "miss" seeing it
If you are wondering how can someone "miss" seeing pratima in a temple then know that Vishnu ji is so big that you can only see a part of him through one of the arches. Only from inside Garbh Griha you see the complete image. Image
Srirangam is a world unto itself. A city within the various walls and Gopurams . You can walk in the tiny alleyways between the walls of the temple and shop from the shops. Image
Read 12 tweets
Jun 1, 2023
While the Sengol stole the limelight at the new Parliament, there is another less known but beautiful installation in that building - Facoult's Pendulum.

So what is the big deal about it? Image
This pendulum is 22m long and weighs 36 kgs. It is the largest Facoult's Pendulum in India.

Facoult's Pendulum is not an ordinary pendulum. It is a clever contraption that proves that the earth is round and rotates on its axis !!!

But how?
When a heavy bob is set in motion with a really long wire, you would expect it to oscillate in the same plane. But no that's not what happens. Since the Earth is rotating, Pendulum would "appear" to swing along a different line every time. That variation depends on the latitude Image
Read 7 tweets
May 29, 2023
As a science and technology enthusiast, I must tell you about a lot of interesting developments that are about to happen in near future in India:

1) Chandrayaan 3: the launch is on 12th July 2023. Chandrayaan 1 had made breakthrough discovery of ice at Moon's south pole
And even though we all saw the Vikram lander tumble and break hearts of a billion people during its attempted landing, Chandrayaan 2 orbiter (not lander) was successful in gathering the data it was sent for.

Chandrayaan 3 will re-attempt to land an advanced rover on Moon
2) Aditya L1 solar mission. Unfortunately not many people know about this one. Aditya L1 will be a satellite to study the Sun and it will be parked at Legrange point L1 where sun, moon and earth's gravitation fields cancel each other out

This will allow uneclipsed view of sun. Image
Read 9 tweets
May 28, 2023
Sagarika, you are lying through your teeth. Not that it is something new.

There ARE ceremonial "mace"/Sengol/Sceptres in many parliaments of democratic countries across the world

Starting with USA. The mace in House of Representatives has been present since 1842 Image
No surprise that even a constitutional monarch Democracy in UK choses to place the sceptre in the House of Commons as a symbol of people's power. The seat of real power. It has been there since 1559 ImageImage
The parliaments of Canada, Australia and New Zealand - modern democracies and yet they have ceremonial mace/Sengol in their parliaments to acknowledge the legislative powers of the house ImageImageImage
Read 5 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(