Forth ❤️‍🔥 Profile picture
Oct 11, 2022 11 tweets 4 min read Read on X
The men's suit. It's a way to not be naked, but it's also a powerful signaling device that's very culturally loaded
suits are the uniform of power, wealth, and success. That's why "power suit" is a thing, and "power tie" too
suits are about self-respect, showing "sense of occasion" and respect for others, or setting (e.g. important transactions, graduations, funerals, weddings)
Suits are a fashion platform. Just like a piece of bread is just a setup to 1k different sandwiches, suits are just an invitation to self-expression
In #Freemasons circles in the USA people like to fight about suits. Lots of lodges require them. Some consider it old fashioned/unnecessary. Others consider it absolutely necessary

It's a symbol fight: those against old-school signaling vs. those after the meaning of the symbol
old-school signaling: I don't want to flaunt wealth or create an overly formal, stuffy atmosphere I just want to be me

meaning of the symbol: we aim for self-respect, sense of occasion

the men's suit, in 2022 is stuck in the middle
in Silicon Valley, casual wear (the hoodie) eventually got usurped by the $800 luxury founder hoodie. "How to signal wealth & power while still looking relaxed and informal"

the existence of such things is a critical clue that the clothes don't matter, the signaling DOES
if fashion is self-expression, suit resistance makes a lot of sense as a way young people intentionally differentiate themselves from the cultural norms of the older generation. And they have; suits are out of fashion in most work environments; expensive casual is ascendant
for #Freemasons I would hope that we would insist on the ideas of self-respect, sense of occasion, while being willing to bend on most everything else. After all, nobody's wearing suits like these, this stuff does (and should!) change
In certain contexts (notably, funerals) self-expression takes a back seat and "sense of occasion" is in the driver's seat

look at how they all look the same, this is on purpose, and is arguably good (in this context)

Are clothes signaling, or self-expression? Yes.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Forth ❤️‍🔥

Forth ❤️‍🔥 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @forthrighter

Jun 16
There is a special ladder in Jerusalem that nobody is allowed to move, and its story is related to the origin of the term "status quo"

The ladder and the story 🧵 Image
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem is a 4th century church that is the center of multiple denominations of Christianity, and is said to be on the spot where Jesus was crucified, buried, and resurrected Image
here's a diagram that shows the purported physical relationship between where the church now stands, and where Jesus died and was buried Image
Read 9 tweets
May 2
Demian: The Story of a Boyhood (of Emil Sinclair) written by Hermann Hesse

In this 🧵we're going to trace how it connects to Jungian psychotherapy, and 1st century AD Gnosticism. You're also going to find out about chicken-headed gods, it's gonna get weird

lfg Image
this book got given to me when I was an exchange student, at a key moment in my life where I was primed to hear what it had to say. Got my mind blown by the 25% of it I understood at the time, still unraveling it all
originally written by Hermann Hesse (1877-1962) famous German author of many a banger (Siddhartha, the Glass Bead Game, Steppenwolf)

but in my humble opinion, Demian was his best Image
Read 23 tweets
May 1
This is Douglas Hofstadter, professor of Cognitive & Computer Science at Indiana University Bloomington

Best known for his book Goedel, Escher, Bach (1980)

this is nerd 🧵 about his influence on me, and the present
back in high school I was a nerd, but I didn't have access to other nerds. Interest in esoteric topics was strongly socially punished, and it felt (to me) there was no one around me with much interest in learning and/or curiosity. It was pretty isolating
about 17, I met a few people outside of my school who were nerds and seemed to revel in it, like it was no big deal. They seemed like magical creatures to me, because they were similar and yet ... not punished for it? Anyway, we became friends pretty fast
Read 40 tweets
Jan 16
This is the Flammarion Engraving. You've probably seen it before but didn't know it was called that.

In this thread we're going to nerd out about where this came from, what it means, mistakes people have made about it, and more. lfg. 🚀🧵 Image
That first one was a colorized version. The real one is a woodcut and looks like this. Colors were interpreted later to add pizzaz Image
the source is a book by Camille Flammarion, L'atmosphère : météorologie populaire ("The Atmosphere: Popular Meteorology"), 1888

Flammarion was astronomer, and the context of the engraving was about "seeing past the limits of the knowledge of today" Image
Read 28 tweets
Nov 21, 2023
It's gotta be this way for a while. But good news, it's escapable by many routes, some harder, some easier. Here are some ways I've seen people escape:
1. Question assumptions. "I should be unstuck" ORLY? Coming from where you're coming from, maybe you've got some shit to work through, maybe it's OK to be stuck. Just admitting it is major progress. Your next step is "I feel babystep progress" no longer the "I suck" loop
2. Get tired. Some people run the loop till they're too exhausted to continue. Not the optimal path, but tbh some people need to persist in their folly and really take it to the max before they'll be open to considering alternatives

getting worn out has its pros
Read 6 tweets
Jul 25, 2023
sometimes, you can't move your thinking forward on some topic, because you want it to move too much. 

you might be too thirsty. Desperate. It causes you to apply internal force, and that makes it worse

force tightens knots
there are many situations like this; calming a fussy baby, attracting a mate, going on vacation - where you fail from the beginning if you don't have a certain ease about you

if no amount of trying hard gives results, try trying less, or trying in a way that's very different. The harder working a person is, the harder it is to see this, because "try less" doesn't compute, and equates with giving up. It isn't.
Read 19 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(