Salim Furth Profile picture
Oct 11, 2022 26 tweets 12 min read Read on X
NEW RESEARCH: @MaryJoWebster and I document that multi-family zoning is strongly correlated with racial integration in the Twin Cities. In parallel, Matt Resseger finds the same in Greater Boston. Here's a brief summarizing & contextualizing both papers.
mercatus.org/publications/u…
@MaryJoWebster @MaryJoWebster and I find that a multifamily-zoned block group in the Twin Cities metro has 21 percentage points more non-White residents than a similarly situated block group zoned single-family only. Image
Matt Resseger's research - this began as his Harvard dissertation 10 years ago - is even better. He's able to use city block boundaries in Greater Boston to show how zoning results in racial variation across the street.
(More to come - I'm threading between meetings today)
If you know anything about housing and race in the #TwinCities metro, it's that the Black-White homeownership rate gap is the largest in the country. It's mindblowing: Black households making $100k are about as likely to rent as White hh making $20k. Image
That's not an artifact of Minnesota's heavily immigrant Black population. Black-headed households with an immigrant present are slightly likelier to own their dwelling than entirely US-born Black-headed households.
(Also interesting: the poorest Asian immigrant groups in the Twin Cities have high homeownership rates, which is possible because they often have more than 2 earners per household).
So if it's not immigrant status, what is holding back the Twin Cities black population? We found that the Twin Cities has both the largest EXPLAINED and UNEXPLAINED Black-White homeownership gaps. So it's partly obvious things like income & marriage, but also unobservables. Image
Another thing you probably know about the Twin Cities area is that racial covenants excluding non-Whites were commonly used from 1910-1950, as @MapPrejudice showed. (BTW, @mikejcorey helped with our zoning data and now works on the covenant data) Image
@MapPrejudice @mikejcorey @SoodAradhya showed that old covenants correlate to 2010 racial residential patterns. Part of the reason for that finding seems to be that covenanted block groups are much more likely to be zoned single-family only today. Image
We can replicate @SoodAradhya's finding, but we can also put covenants and zoning data into the same regression. We find that zoning is entirely robust & has more explanatory power. Image
@SoodAradhya Another thread in this paper is sussing out some of the impacts of zoning for PUDs and middle housing. PUDs are taking over the growing edge of the Twin Cities metro like kudzu (right, @ElkinsForHouse?), and they include a mix of housing types. Image
As the previous table shows, zones that allow middle housing are quite diverse, with a lot of single-family detached as well as middle and multifamily housing. However, we coded Bloomington's main zone, which technically allows duplexes, as single family. It's too restrictive.
We also looked for evidence that people of different cultures prefer different types of housing. That is, conditional on owning/renting and PUMA of residence, do some races/ethnicities tend toward some housing types? That could explain our topline finding.
In the Twin Cities, we find no statistically significant evidence for typology preferences. But it's noisy data. And nationally, we find that *black owners* and *white renters* each prefer detached homes more. Image
This is a roundabout way to get to the obvious conclusion: there's a straightforward "chain of exclusion" (h/t @rolfpendall): Zoning determines typology; typology is closely linked to tenure; tenure varies systematically by race. Image
We already saw the evidence that zoning determines typology (or is at least super correlated with it) Image
And we can similarly show that there are stark differences in tenure (that is rental/ownership) by typology. Image
Finally, we return to the ownership difference between whites and non-Whites (especially Black households), which is starker in the Twin Cities than anywhere else. Image
For policymakers promoting integration, there's probably long-term value in promoting minority homeownership. But the biggest, most efficient margin for integration is in allowing multifamily housing in all school districts, all neighborhoods. Image
In my contextual policy brief, I discuss three of the possible policy interventions:
1) Middle housing (aka "ending single family zoning")
2) Traditional apartment zoning
3) All-of-the-above zoning
Ending single family zoning is certainly attractive, and it's been the most celebrated achievement by @MoreNeighbors, @Jacob_Frey, @janneformpls & co. But as many have noted, progress there is slow. And Bloomington's long-term failure to build "allowed" duplexes also tells.
I'm more optimistic about traditional apartment zoning. It's not beautiful, but it does integrate schools, commutes, etc. The old breed of Minnesota zoning reformers, like Myron Orfield, focused here. All locations aren't created equal, of course. Image
Finally - and this is the future market urbanists want - you can have what I call #AllOfTheAbove zoning. When you take a traditional multifamily zone and map it everywhere, it can host a diversity of housing types. Unless prices are extreme, it won't all be built multifamily.
Houston and Tokyo are market urbanist superstar cities because of their #AllOfTheAbove zoning. And @mayorauburn showed that small cities can do the same - create residential zones for all types of residential. ImageImageImage
@mayorauburn Fin! I hope you enjoyed the papers and I'd love to hear your feedback.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Salim Furth

Salim Furth Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @salimfurth

Feb 29
Is 2024 the Year of YIGBY? #YesInGodsBackyard bills have been introduced in at least 6 states. I'll be testifying on one in #Annapolis tomorrow. They're a diverse bunch, though - let's take a closer look
🔬🧵 Image
Maryland's HB 538/SB484 is @GovWesMoore's priority, and #YIGBY is just one aspect.
Where? Any nonprofit's land.
Income mix? 50% affordable.
Status? Early hearings.
(We're going to let Dall-E have some fun with these) Image
Virginia's SB 233 has been iced until next year. Just as well - it was poorly conceived. It legalizes fully-affordable housing up to 40 units/acre ONLY on faith land where no residential uses are already allowed. So if a church is in a 4 unit/acre suburban zone, it gets nothing. Image
Read 13 tweets
Aug 14, 2023
Want to see the most reinvested - and most visibly gentrifying - street in America? Come on a little walk with me. This is going to be a slightly uncomfortable.
🚶🏻🧵
We're going to walk down #KennedySt NW from 13th to North Capitol St, in DC. But don't worry, it's not actually 13 blocks. For a preview, here's the 600 block right now.
And with apologies to @mnolangray, I can't think of another way to do this.
#1207: One row house becomes a sixplex (2018-2020)
Read 78 tweets
Aug 2, 2023
NEW PAPER: A lot of YIMBY bills were introduced in the first half of 2023 - @JoshFerdelman & team tracked 200 for @mercatus. How did they do? Eli Kahn and I did our best to catalog and summarize the big trends. Image
@JoshFerdelman @mercatus @WNNProHousing In the paper, we describe the YIMBY victories in the Big Four states, offer a theory of everything bagels, and identify the state legislator with the least walkable name.
mercatus.org/research/polic…
@JoshFerdelman @mercatus @WNNProHousing The #MontanaMiracle: there was great work by a number of @FrontierMontana & @Shelter_WF, but we highlight the @GovGianforte's task force model, which @ebwhamilton has described. And constructive engagement by the League of Cities led to easier wins with higher-quality bills.
Read 12 tweets
Apr 4, 2023
#Upzoning versus #InclusionaryZoning: Who would win?
A lot of cities and states - like Florida (!) - pair permissive zoning with requirements that 10 or 20% of new units are set aside as deed-restricted affordable housing. Does it work? In New Rochelle, with a 10% mandate and upzoning to 48 stories, it did.
better-cities.org/wp-content/upl…
But in Somerville, Mass, with a modest upzoning and 20% requirement, it looks like the scale tilted the other way. Somerville boosted IZ in 2016 and again in 2019, taking it down to 3-unit buildings. It also upzoned in 2019. Image
Read 10 tweets
Oct 10, 2022
The Columbus/Indigenous People's Day debate is utterly fruitless. Neither of those can be a holiday for all Americans at this point. So you can try to score points for your team, or you can join my longstanding call for #HolidayReform.
(Those graphs are pre-Juneteenth).
My short theory of holidays is that the ones that "work" are those where people can agree on some common set of activities - BBQs, family time, gift exchange, whatever.
In the U.S., our national culture is that we don't do grief or solemnity very well. Only Veterans Day has it; Memorial Day is just too nice-weather to be sad. We're not equipped to do anything constructive with grief- or sorrow-based holidays, so don't bother trying.
Read 10 tweets
Mar 29, 2022
How bad can a single paragraph be? Bad enough that @reason shouldn't publish @antiplanner again without a fact check. Let's walk through this:
reason.com/2022/03/13/how…
@reason @antiplanner "Most New England states abandoned the county level of government,"
This is true of about half of Massachusetts counties. But there wasn't much to New England counties to begin with. In Mass, the counties were formed *after* the towns (in 1643) mostly to handle judicial affairs.
"effectively turning land use regulation of county lands over to the cities."
This is flat wrong. Counties never exercised modern land use regulation. Towns, which have the exact same powers as cities, do that. (Towns and cities differ in governance).
Read 18 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(