NEW: Email reveals DHS Secretary Mayorkas was alerted by DHS' top public affairs official that the "whipping" narrative behind horseback BP photos wasn't true, but at a WH press conference 2.5 hours later, he didn't refute that narrative, instead calling the images "horrifying".
The email was sent to Mayorkas and other DHS officials by Marsha Espinosa, assistant secretary of public affairs for DHS. It was sent hours after President Biden falsely accused the agents of “strapping” migrants and promised they would “pay”, and hours before Mayorkas’ presser.
The email was obtained by @Heritage after they filed a Freedom of Information Act request with DHS in March, seeking communications about the “whipping” incident. DHS didn’t produce the documents, so Heritage sued in June, & last week, DHS turned over an initial batch of emails.
Also worth pointing out, I reached out to DHS on Monday and gave them two full days to respond to this story. I followed up with them again this morning before we went on the air, and I still have received no response whatsoever.
• • •
Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to
force a refresh
BREAKING: California's grid operator has just issued a level 3 energy emergency alert, the highest category. @California_ISO says this means they are unable to meet energy demand, and rolling blackouts are either "imminent" or "in progress". @FoxNews
Also got an emergency alert on my phone as the warning was issued. Here is how @California_ISO classifies the different energy emergency levels. We are now at level 3/RED. @FoxNews
NEW: Sources in LA DA office tell me victim advocates in the “lifer” unit were told Tuesday they will soon no longer be allowed to notify crime victims/next of kin about an inmate’s upcoming parole hearings, because Gascon admin finds it “not appropriate ”. Unit to be disbanded.
In a statement to me, DA @GeorgeGascon office says contacting victims & next of kin “can be very triggering”, the work is time consuming and “unnecessary”, and that the responsibility ultimately falls to the state.
Gascon already banned prosecutors from attending parole hearings
I received a lengthy message from Julianne Walker, a victim advocate in the “lifer” unit being disbanded. She says the Gascon admin statement isn’t truthful for a number of reasons, which she lists below. She has given me permission to publish her statement on the record @FoxNews
BREAKING: One of the most massive single groups we have ever witnessed cross illegally at the border is crossing into Eagle Pass, TX right now. The line of people went so far into the trees it’s hard to get a count. Hundreds upon hundreds. Coyotes guiding them in water. @FoxNews
This is the moment the massive group first entered the water, led by a suspected cartel guide. This crossing seemed to go on endlessly. There was no Border Patrol on scene when they began arriving, only one TX National Guard humvee. More resources responding now. @FoxNews
The entire group has now crossed over to the U.S. side and is beginning to emerge from the brush along the river. Two cartel guides in the water are now wading back to Mexico. This was about as clear of an example of a large scale cartel smuggling op as you’ll see. @FoxNews
NEW: Several TX counties will hold a press conference in Brackettville, TX later today where they plan to declare an “invasion” at the border. I’m told they plan to reference Article IV Section 4 of the U.S. Constitution, which guarantees states federal protection from invasion.
The press conference will be led by Kinney County, which has seen its local resources overwhelmed during this border crisis. I’m told these counties hope TX Governor Greg Abbott will follow suit with a declaration of invasion at the state level. Presser at 3pm TX time. @FoxNews
NEW: A massive fentanyl bust in Tulare, CA, where the Tulare Co. Sheriff's Office & CHP recovered 150,000 fentanyl pills during a traffic stop. 150 bags w/ 1,000 pills each, worth $750,000 total. 25-year-old Jose Zendejas & 19-year-old Benito Madrigal arrested & charged. @FoxNews
Tulare County jail records show that Zendejas and Madrigal are no longer in custody as of this morning. I reached to the DEA's LA office to ask if they are involved or if the Feds potentially picked the men up. A DEA spokeswoman told me she doesn't believe so. @FoxNews
I called the Tulare County Sheriff’s Office this morning to ask why these alleged fentanyl traffickers were no longer in custody & if they had bailed out, etc. They told me they would check, but I never got a call back. If & when they do return my call, I will update. @FoxNews
THREAD: Per LA DA sources, prosecutors under former DA Jackie Lacey initially sought 32 months in prison for felon Justin Flores’ gun charge, but when DA George Gascon took office, prior strike was dismissed & offer revised to probation as a result of a Gascon directive @FoxNews
Specifically, on 12/7/20, DA George Gascon took office & issued Special Directive 20-08. It states “any prior strikes will not be used for sentencing and shall be dismissed or withdrawn” & “if the charged offense is probation eligible, probation shall be the presumptive offer.”
LA DA sources tell me that in March 2020, Flores was initially offered 32 months (low term of 16 months x 2 for the prior strike).
In January, 2021, after Gascon took office, the offer was revised in accordance w/ Gascon’s SD 20-08 to just 2 years probation & strike dismissed.