Talking Tactics Profile picture
Oct 12, 2022 16 tweets 6 min read Read on X
When you are a Football tactics account it is difficult not to turn into a bit of a Manchester City fan page (as I am told 😬) but Guardiola is arguably the greatest ever Manager. And certainly one of the most innovative. I find his teams fascinating to watch. #MCI
Football is a game of time & space. Guardiola solves problems - game after game - so that his players have time & space. It is then up to them to make their decisions & use their technical quality.

I wanted to highlight a build up against Southampton (who cause City problems).
Southampton pressed with a front 4 (who try & cover 6 players).

Guardiola made Ederson part of a back 4 and dropped Bernardo Silva next to Rodri.

Cancelo (LB) is spare because Ederson has made the back 4 w/ Ake now at LB.

I wanted to show how City overload each player. Image
Pass one.

Ederson to Dias.

Adams is trying to cover Rodri & Dias. Ederson’s pass means Southampton’s CF releases himself to press Dias.

With Rodri now free Aribo adjusts his position & moves slightly infield. He is now 2v1 against Akanji & Rodri. Image
Pass two.

Dias to Akanji.

This pass encourages Aribo to press. Once again Rodri is free.

Adams can’t quite get back as he has been drawn to Dias.

A.Armstrong is occupied with Ederson & Bernardo Silva.

So Southampton need a Midfielder to release & press (Diallo). Image
Diallo begins to press but KDB drops down (to create a 2v1), forcing the Southampton Midfielder to back off.

Rodri is now free again.

Akanji cuts back infield (a key skill for a player trapped by the touch line to possess).. Image
Pass 3

Akanji to Rodri.

City now have time & space on the ball (briefly).

In this example Rodri plays back to Ederson (as Southampton are well covered elsewhere) but as the game went on the gaps began to appear. Image
It’s quite a simple move but the positioning of the players and the timing of the runs and passes (along with the weight) make it an interesting watch.

I will get to why Cancelo being free to move higher becomes important later on in the thread.
With Ederson part of the back 4/5, Cancelo could push on slightly attracting the attention of KWP from RB.

When Cancelo received the ball Foden moved into a position behind KWP. Cancelo then plays a pass over the top and into that space. Image
City now have a 6v5 (Mahrez is wide & out of shot) in the middle third of the pitch.

And Cancelo looks to break forwards from LB. ImageImage
Foden plays the ball to Bernardo Silva, who - in turn - plays a lovely pass into the path of Cancelo.

And City now have 4v3 in the final third.

City have encouraged Southampton to press high, dragging out their RB, and attacking the space created.

Top Image
The decision making, execution & technical quality is owned by the players.

The positioning and space created (I assume) is an instruction from the Manager.
When City had controlled possession of the ball they built play in a 3-2-5.

▫️3v2 against Southampton’s two Centre Forwards
▫️5v4 against Southampton’s front Four. Image
City’s 5 forward players helped stretch Southampton’s back 4 and drag them out of position (like KWP in this example).

Look at Mahrez 😍 Image
I said the other day, 1 of Guardiola’s big achievements is convincing his players to stand still. Mahrez will want to touch the ball but he knows how beneficial his position is in creating space for Haaland.

His position is as important (if not more so) than the pass by Foden. ImageImage
0.5 created chance stat for Mahrez? 😬 Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Talking Tactics

Talking Tactics Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @TalkinTactics

Jul 11
Going into the final, I thought I would give my honest opinion on Southgate as a Manager

Squad harmony/togetherness - Southgate has excelled in this area & the group appear closer than ever

Press/Media - Southgate speaks incredibly well & is a great ambassador for the country Image
Team selections - I think we could all argue for 1 or 2 other players to be selected but in the main he is picking the ‘best’ players & has consistently given chances to players from all clubs (levels..)

Tactics - Defensively we are always well set up as are we from set pieces.
Tactics (cont) - on the ball he does give more agency to the players than a Guardiola/Arteta. I see him a bit more like an Ancelotti (in other areas as well). Overall I would say he is very good but a level below the true elites.
Read 6 tweets
Jul 11
Factoring in how the Spanish defend, Harry Kane - and his link up play/passing ability - could well be England’s key player in the final.

There should be plenty of room to play into his feet.

I will go into more detail later on. Image
Let’s look at where the space is vs Spain and how the match is likely to go (when England have the ball).

Spain will probably look to block off Stones & Rice & try to force the ball to Guehi (right footed left CB) like they did to Saliba vs France. Image
Yamal’s defensive game needs to improve so this is ok for England

England should find space to play into our Left FWD (if they hold their width) or into Harry Kane’s feet.

Spain leave space between their Defence & Midfield

Then switching to Saka will be key (1v1 vs Cucurella)
Read 11 tweets
Apr 16
Arsenal vs Villa was an interesting tactical battle because:

Arsenal force the oppo to build down their LHS. Odegaard is one of their better pressers & - on regains - the ball is close to their 2 playmakers (Saka/Odegaard) w/ their transition winger free (Martinelli/Trossard)
And Villa prefer to build down their LHS through Pau Torres (and in this game Tielemans & Digne).

Two styles collide.

And as the match progressed it was Aston Villa who came out on top - in part - due to the constant decision making that was required of Odegaard & Saka.
Aston Villa displayed:

- excellent on ball structure
- patience/bravery to persist with their plan
- high technical quality
- high physical quality

All aspects needed for a positive away performance against one of the top sides in the division.
Read 13 tweets
Mar 14
As Chelsea are set to appoint a set piece coach I thought I would explain the problems they have had defending corners so far this season (lots).

They are a fairly small side - which doesn’t help - but their set up doesn’t adequately protect the near post, far post or edge. Image
They generally have:

• 2 players zoning the near post area (1 goes out short)

• 1 zonal player around the centre of the goal (6yrd box)

• 1 zonal player towards the back of the goal (6yrd box)

4 zonal players leaves 6 markers/blockers/edge

Let’s look at the problems Image
Early in the season (West Ham) the back post area was an issue

It is possible to block (and/or outnumber) their markers & work free players at the back post

Their lack of height also means ATT players like Carney are given important roles in the zone (as was Mudryk in final)

Read 14 tweets
Dec 13, 2023
Man Utd’s defensive shape/tactics meant it was fairly straight forward for Bayern to open them up & penetrate the spaces in behind, especially on Bayern’s RHS.

Man U were 4-1-4-1 out of possession with both CBs asked to follow Kane/Musiala deep into Midfield.

Amrabat was free Image
I was surprised at this defensive shape as Amrabat didn’t drop into the back line to make a 5.

As Bayern form a box with Kane/Musiala/Kimmich & Goretzka there were rarely players in his zone.

He could’ve been the one to press in those spaces like what Alvarez did vs Brighton Image
McTominay & Bruno also found it difficult to go man for man in midfield as Man United’s wide players defended too wide.

A narrow 4-4-2 or a different type of press may have made more sense.

There were gaps like this throughout the first half. Image
Read 11 tweets
Dec 3, 2023
For analysts, the first 2-3 minutes of a game are gold dust. They act as a window into the last couple of days on the training ground.

Let’s look at the first 20 seconds of NUFC vs Man Utd.

Man Utd press high, man to man in midfield w/ their ball far winger inside (to press CB) Image
Miley drags Mainoo away & Isak drops short. Newcastle Utd outnumber McTominay - 2v1 in midfield - & are out on the opposite side.

Shaw didn’t follow Isak into midfield (worried about Maguire as last man?). This happened throughout the match.

Isak received lots of balls to feet.
What’s intriguing about ETH is he must know that his FWDs (Rashford/Martial in particular) are poor pressers yet he uses the most risky approach.

Bruno often chases the ball so him & Martial switch in this eg.

You can see Rashford pressing Schär. He needs to rely on Martial..
Read 12 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(