Liz Profile picture
Oct 17, 2022 8 tweets 4 min read Read on X
Sauron's proposition to Galadriel in #TheRingsOfPower was an excellent scene. But here's a thread on how I think it could have been pulled off even better. 🧵
Sauron and Galadriel are alike. Tolkien deliberately parallels their characters. They're both immensely proud and have a desire to rule.

Galadriel left Valinor in part because she wanted to rule a piece of Middle Earth. Not so different from Sauron's motives.
The show took pains to parallel Galadriel and Halbrand. Both castaways with short fuses.

In episode 6 this is most clear when both of them stop each other from killing Adar. The bloodlust in both is apparent.
Where I think the show may have stumbled was focusing too much on Galadriel's desire for vengeance for her brother and her bloodlust. This is perfectly fine to show, and it's supported by the text, but for Sauron's offer to be tempting, I think we needed more.
I think the show needed to lean on Galadriel's desire for power, which is a canonical trait of hers. She wants to have a kingdom of her own in Middle Earth.

This would have played right into Sauron's offer for her to rule Middle Earth with him.
The show addresses Galadriel's problems with authority. We see that with Gil-Galad and Miriel, but that doesn't necessarily convey that she has a desire to rule herself. Just that she clashes with authority.
Had the show leaned harder on Galadriel's desire to rule, and how that is a trait she shares with Sauron, I think Sauron's offer would have come across as far more tempting.

"I would make you a queen." And we've seen that that's what she WANTS.
Those of us who are fans of the movies and the books know that Galadriel has ambitions to rule, and I think the writers were too reliant on us just knowing that about her. It should have been a major part of her arc.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Liz

Liz Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @AtheistjLiz

Feb 28, 2023
"Amber Heard ruined Johnny Depp's career!"

After Amber Heard's allegations of abuse came out during their divorce proceedings, Depp kept his role in the Fantastic Beasts franchise. He appeared in the first movie in 2016, the year of their divorce. ImageImage
Depp would keep his role in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, doing a full press tour for Dead Men Tell No Tales in May 2017, less than a year after the abuse allegations surfaced. ImageImageImageImage
At the end of 2017, JK Rowling announced her full support of Johnny Depp and his casting in the Fantastic Beasts franchise.

Rowling stated she was "genuinely happy to have Johnny playing a major character in the movies” and that casting him was "the right thing." ImageImage
Read 10 tweets
Feb 15, 2023
THREAD: Exposing Johnny Depp’s lies about May 21, 2016 - the night that led to his and Amber Heard's divorce. What surveillance footage, texts, and witness testimonies prove REALLY happened. 🧵🪡 ImageImage
BACKGROUND

By May 21, 2016, Amber and Depp had not seen each other since Amber's birthday a month prior. Amber alleges he abused her that day. Depp denies this.

Both testify that by this point, their marriage was coming to an end and this meeting was meant to be their last one. ImageImage
The incident occurred at Amber and Depp's apartment in L.A., situated on the penthouse floor of the Eastern Columbia Building.

Depp owned five apartments on the penthouse floor of the building, and for brevity, I'll often abbreviate them as such: PH1, PH2, PH3, PH4, and PH5. Image
Read 76 tweets
Nov 16, 2022
*tw sexual assault

I remember watching Amber's testimony about what Depp did to her in Australia. I remember the commentators saying "Victims don't cry like that on the stand. Victims don't act like that. She's too emotional and over the top."
They said this like there was any precedent for this.

As if there was any precedent for a woman having to testify about her rape in front of a packed room of his supporters who hated her, and on live television in front of the world that she knew was relentlessly mocking her.
What exactly is the "normal" way to act under those circumstances?

Absolutely nothing about this freakshow circus of a trial that had people camping out overnight at a courthouse like it was fucking comic con was "normal." It was a joke. An embarrassment.
Read 15 tweets
Nov 6, 2022
It hasn't struck me until right now how much I just don't care about the lives of the human traffickers and the men who kidnapped Lois and Martha in BvS.
Me watching Bruce kill men who were holding Martha hostage with a flame thrower
Like the KGBeast and his goonies grabbed Lois from her workplace, threw her in a van, and held a gun on her Bruce can do whatever he wants to them IDCCCCC
Read 6 tweets
Nov 6, 2022
You know I honestly didn't care for Galadriel, Elrond, and Gil-Galad being so heavily involved in the creation of the Rings in TROP tbh.
I get why it was done, because the reason the Rings were made was completely changed for the show, but those three characters going from being opposed to anything to do with Annatar in the source material to major players in Ring making is a little eh...
It took a lot of the attention away from Celebrimbor as a result too. Celebrimbor is the one who made the Rings. That is his thing. Yeah he had help from the smiths but it was him. In the show it's more of a group project of all the main elves.
Read 5 tweets
Oct 22, 2022
Unfortunately the Halbrand twist was too reliant on characters making wildly convenient assumptions about him, never asking him a real question, and ignoring very obvious red flags.
No one in the Southlands has sword or horse training, but no one questions him as a master swordsman and horseman. Galadriel briefly did when he did the sword trick but then it never comes up again.
The fact that he couldn't be asked a real question is likely why for the first seven episodes, he never has a conversation with any main character other than Galadriel.

It would have odd if yet another character never asked him a question.
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(