Andy Marshall 📸 Profile picture
Dec 11, 2022 5 tweets 3 min read Read on X
The latch (glicied?) on the gate, installed in the C18th, at St. Melangell, Wales is still doing its job all these years later. #continuity Image
The blacksmith has added a little flourish to the latch - now worn with almost 3 centuries of use. #continuity Image
The lock at the back of the gate is just as beautiful #continuity Image
The gate at St. Melangell in Wales is dated 1763 and the carver has added a little angelic flourish to the finials #continuity Image
Here’s the gate in full at St. Melangell in Wales #continuity Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Andy Marshall 📸

Andy Marshall 📸 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @fotofacade

Mar 22
Chapter houses are some of the most breathtaking structures in a cathedral or church.
The ribbed vaulting of Southwell Minster's C13th chapter house doesn't have a central pier - it hovers over the space allowing light to flood into the heart of the building. #thread 📸 by me.. Image
Having said that - York's late C13th chapter house doesn't have a central pier either - the vault was renewed by John Carr in 1798 (in plaster). Image
Lincoln's chapter house is one of my favourites - organic in nature - pushing upwards and outwards like a tree: Image
Read 7 tweets
Mar 8
St. Mary, Breamore in Hampshire is a remarkably complete Anglo-Saxon survival of the late C10th. Here I photographed it with the Elizabethan Breamore House in the background. #thread Image
Inside the two storey porch there survives an artefact as rare as hens teeth - an Anglo-Saxon rood with traces of colour. Continued.. Image
Inside another remarkable rarity: a Saxon door with an inscription “HER SWUTELATH SEO GECWYDRAEDNES THE”. This translates “Here the covenant [the word] is manifested to thee”. Continued... Image
Read 4 tweets
Mar 1
Here's a selection of some of the greatest Cathedral/Minster naves (with the odd cheeky choir) in the UK all 📸 by my own fair hand - a joy to share them and #happyfriday #thread
1. Salisbury Cathedral Image
A selection of some of the greatest naves (with the odd cheeky choir) in the UK all 📸 by my own fair hand - a joy to share them and #happyfriday #thread
2. Christ Church Oxford Image
A selection of some of the greatest naves (with the odd cheeky choir) in the UK all 📸 by my own fair hand - a joy to share them and #happyfriday #thread
3. Durham Cathedral Image
Read 18 tweets
Feb 23
Here's a selection of Anglo Saxon buildings for your delectation and delight: 1. The remarkably complete C10th Anglo-Saxon tower at All Saints’ church, Earls Barton, Northamptonshire. #thread Image
2. The C10th Anglo- Saxon tower of St. Peter, Barton-upon-Humber, Lincolnshire. This tower was key in Thomas Rickman's discovery and identification of the style in 1819. Image
3. All Saint's Church Brixworth, Northamptonshire is perhaps the most important survival of Anglo-Saxon architecture north of the Alps. Much of the C7th church remains from the reign of King Wulfhere in the form of a Roman Basilica. The stair turret is C10th. Spire is C14th. Image
Read 7 tweets
May 23, 2023
Not sure if I've come across such beautiful and expressive decorative metalwork as this at St. David's, Manordeifi in Pembrokeshire. Image
..and some lovely Georgian decorative metalwork at Micklegate in York.. Image
A lovely entanglement of metally stuff at the Old Post Office in Warwick.. Image
Read 6 tweets
Mar 24, 2023
Great Coxwell barn in Oxfordshire was built in 1292. Dendrochronology has shown that some of its timbers were felled in 1256, whilst the majority were felled in the winter of 1291. It was part of a Cistercian abbey founded by King John. Image
Great Coxwell barn in Oxfordshire was built in 1292 and has an organic beauty that is so appealing. Image
If you feel rooted by our historic places and feel comforted by continuity, you might like my Genius Loci Digest - an architectural photographer’s camper-van-camino through the British Isles - posted weekly. Subscribe for free here: digest.andymarshall.co
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(