Manni Mohyuddin Profile picture
Jan 24, 2023 12 tweets 6 min read Read on X
How much of precision medicine in myeloma is clever marketing, and how much is actual science?

We hear a lot about isatuximab for gain1q and selinexor for del17p!

We unpack all of this in our editorial just published- led by the great hem/onc fellow @OuchveridzeMD

#mmsm

🧵 ImageImageImage
Link to study:
sciencedirect.com/science/articl…

1) We start by describing how myeloma is incredibly heterogenous yet treated in a uniform fashion.

There indeed is ample opportunity to treat myeloma in a personalized fashion based on unique features!
Next, we talk about melflufen.

At a ODAC meeting, the sponsor of melflufen tried to tell us that for elderly patients (who represented a very small subset) of patients on the trial, melflufen was better than pomalidomide.

The FDA brilliant response 👇 Image
⭐️If you study enough subgroups, it is likely that some will be positive by chance alone. Some will be positive even if they lack any biological plausibility.

The more ways you slice the data and look, the greater risk that some findings are significant because of chance alone
That said and done- perhaps IMiD's are tough in elderly patients, and benefits attenuated- and this ought to be investigated further. But granting approval based on a subgroup of 76 out of 495 patients?! Further data is needed, and we commend the FDA on their response!
Is selinexor uniquely effective for del17p?

We highlight how Karyopharm markets selinexor as being more effective for p53 "wildtype" in other cancers, and being more effective for p53 mutant/17p deleted myeloma.

How can the same drug with same mechanism of action do that?! Image
Next- we move on to isatuximab and gain1q. Isatuximab is an unquestionably active/effective drug!

But can we say its uniquely effective in gain1q based on analysis of 3 vs 2 trials?

But what's our null hypothesis? That gain1q wouldn't benefit from addition of a third drug?🧐 Image
If we allow industry's marketing agenda of subgroups to prevail, we run the risk of patients receiving treatment on the basis of "multiplicity" rather than biological/clinical efficacy!

We highlight the problematic role oncology news websites such as OncLive play in this issue.
We end by highlighting solutions: Image
I thank my friends for their tremendously helpful feedback.

And I thank Chris Booth- a senior author on this paper, who has taught me so much and been a mentor to so many of us including @AaronGoodman33 and @oncology_bg

@rajshekharucms @dgermain21 @HadidiSamer @KUHemOncFellow
Also- I must add- we highlight and contrast this to venetoclax- where robust biological data exists, and numerous randomized trials are ongoing to confirm efficacy and safety! Image
Actual solutions here (wrong screenshot)! Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Manni Mohyuddin

Manni Mohyuddin Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @ManniMD1

May 24
The IMROZ trial (Isa-VRd versus VRd for transplant ineligible myeloma) just dropped.

Although the trial is successful, numerous caveats exist.

Six key take-aways regarding this trial, while we await the formal presentation at ASCO

1/

🧵meetings.asco.org/abstracts-pres…
1. The primary endpoint of PFS was met, not reached for Isa-VRd vs 54 mo for VRd

For VRd (without transplant) to get median PFS of 54 months is alot

Context= VRd in ENDURANCE:35 mo and SWOG0777 43 mo PFS

Needs more details, but speaks to fitness/biology of enrolled pts Image
2. We do not have patient characteristics, but I suspect that patients enrolled were actually fit and transplant eligible by US standards.

This is mostly NOT a frail patient population, and will probably be a younger cohort than MAIA trial (median age was 73 for MAIA) Image
Read 7 tweets
May 1
Ten important observations about myeloma and its precursors that I often discuss with patients and teach to trainees in my clinic.

An educational thread

🧵

#mmsm

1/
1) Most, but not all disease progressions at the time of relapse are biochemical (as in myeloma proteins increasing) and not clinical (as in new organ damage, anemia, bone lesions etc)

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35413102/
2) For those with high-risk disease, remissions appear to be very short without a transplant, and the role of transplant even more important, as shown in this excellent meta-analysis of high-risk disease patients across trials.

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35377484/
Read 12 tweets
Apr 6
The FDA just approved cilta-cel for early relapse in myeloma (1 prior line of therapy, including PI and IMiD, and refractory to lenalidomide).

My thoughts on the approval of cilta-cel for early relapse in myeloma.

An educational thread:

#mmsm

1/ Image
Good news? Unequivocally so.

There are pts who at only one line of therapy become refractory to multiple classes of drugs.

A study showed that those progressing on or shortly after a quad had a median PFS of 2.5 months with next tx.

Cilta-cel may change disease course! Image
For people who are not refractory to Dara at time of first progression, is this good option?

I do not know. In CARTITUDE-4, only 25% of pts had previous exposure to dara

Cilta-cel had better PFS than dara/pom/dex (which majority of control arm got).

But is it safer/better? Image
Read 17 tweets
Jan 18
Our trial of surveillance incorporating DW-whole body MRI q6 mo for high-risk smoldering myeloma is active.

This is a multi-center effort that aims to define natural history of SMM, and show that close surveillance can prevent morbidity while keeping people off treatment

🧵
This trial involves recruiting 100 patients with high-risk SMM and surveilling closely with q6 month MRI, yearly marrows, and frequent labs.

We aim to show that "morbid" progression events such as fractures, bone lesions and renal injury that doesnt promptly reverse are rare Image
Link:

I sincerely wish to thank the key collaborators who have helped design this study- my dear friend @rajshekharucms over many calls and meetings, @AaronGoodman33 , @rubinstein_md and Dr. Nishi Shah.

And @Eddie_Cliff (I hope to open in
🇦🇺 one day) clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT06212…
Read 11 tweets
Dec 31, 2023
Inspired by a recent discussion on twitter/X about a trial- here’s a thread about the importance of intent to treat analysis, and the caveats/shortcomings of per-protocol or analysis per “compliance/adherence”.

Buckle yourself up for an educational 🧵
This was a trial of Mediterranean diet in reducing breast cancer recurrence.

We know the Mediterranean diet is good for you- in a rigorous randomized trial, it has actually reduced cardiovascular morbidity.

nejm.org/doi/full/10.10…
But this is a different question altogether- can it reduce breast cancer recurrence?

This trial builds upon some previous large well-done randomized trials that showed zilch effect of dietary interventions in cancer.

Some examples below:
Read 21 tweets
Dec 23, 2023
There is a lot of progress that happens every year in myeloma.

Learnt a lot in 2023, from both negative and positive trials, and am thankful for the progress.

In this🧵, I will highlight 🔟 important myeloma publications from 2023 that shaped my thinking and practice.

#mmsm
Each study in this thread was published in 2023.

Abstracts/posters not included.

I will provide my interpretation with each study.

Some nuance may be lost, as I try to fit it within the confines of a tweet.

This is not in any particular order.

Lets start!

Cilta-cel had better PFS than dara/pom/dex for patients with 1-3 prior lines of therapy, all of whom were len-refractory.

I am not sure cilta-cel is "safer", but this will be integral to allow earlier access for patients who need it.

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37272512/
Read 14 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(