Owen Jones Profile picture
Jan 25, 2023 7 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Fascinating new data from the #Census2021 on sexual orientation by age.

This doesn't mean being lesbian, gay or bisexual has become more common: it just means younger generations feel more able to come out and live their true lives.
The same goes for trans people.

The number of openly trans people will grow - just as the number of openly LGB people will, too - as younger people stand up to the bigotry of older generations.
One of the big unspoken stories of modern LGBTQ+ Britain is the rise of the bisexuals.
Women are more than twice as likely to identify as bisexual as men.

But this is probably because of the specific stigma attached to male bisexuality - which is often portrayed as "bi now, gay later" - while female bisexuals are more likely to suffer sexual objectification.
What this means in practice is there's a far bigger openly LGB+ female population under the age of 35, when previously there was a bigger male LGB+ population.
Tell me you've never met any lesbians, gays or bisexual people without telling me you've never met any lesbians, gays or bisexual people.

Every LGBTQ person remembers that newspaper article which turned them. It has a special place in our heart!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Owen Jones

Owen Jones Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @OwenJones84

Jul 21
Joe Biden has the blood of tens of thousands of Palestinians on his hand.

Israel would never have been able to raze Gaza to the ground without him.

I'm a non-believer, but if Hell exists, that man would have a first class ticket there.

A monster who belongs in jail.
There will be outraged responses to this, I'm sure.

But if you're outraged, you simply do not believe Palestinians are human beings, certainly not in a meaningful sense, and that should be the scandal here.
Oh, and by the way, for those saying:

"Any other president would have behaved like this."

Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush both showed more outrage over Israeli crimes than Biden did, and that in no way is an endorsement of either of them.
Read 5 tweets
Jul 21
This repeated attempt to conflate 'Israel' and 'Jews' is a) a desperate and disturbing smear and b) implicitly antisemitic,.

Israel is a Western-backed state committing a genocide with Western arms and complicity.

Yes, I am focused on this. That is not "obsession" with "Jews".
Note: I am not quoting a random person here.

This is a former BBC journalist.
What of my output today does @londonette consider to qualify as an obsession with Jewish people?

Is it me sharing a Politico article about doctors reporting Palestinian children being repeatedly shot in the head by the Israeli army?

Read 6 tweets
Jul 16
He's the independent MP who defeated Starmer ally @JonAshworth.

Since then, he's been smeared over Gaza - as part of a campaign to delegitimise his election win.

Now @shockatadam speaks out.

Judge for yourself.
When Labour lost seats over Gaza and the lack of a genuine alternative to the Tories, it had a choice.

It could have said, 'We want to listen and learn, we want to rebuild trust.'

It did not do this. Instead Labour launched a campaign claiming that it was cheated.
This echoes what Labour has done over Gaza protests.

It sought to shield Labour MPs from scrutiny over Labou's morally depraved stance by claiming protesters were threatening the physical safety of MPs.

This was despite the tiny number of arrests at Gaza protests.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 27
Yoav Gallant, Israel's defence minister - a murderous war criminal - has threatened to take Lebanon back to the Stone Age.

That's the purpose of his threat.

That's why it has been reported as such by notoriously left-wing pro-Palestinian media outlets as... The Daily Telegraph.
Yoav Gallant has a long track record in threatening to "return Lebanon to the Stone Age;.

Here he is in August 2023, i.e. before 7th October.

Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon, and invaded it, committing war crimes so obscene that even Ronald Reagan was repulsed. Image
Israel's cheerleaders have lost.

They are apologists for some of the worst crimes of the 21st century.

They have cheered on an onslaught which has butchered thousands of kids.

They have repulsed public opinion, and are generally - rightly - regarded as depraved.
Read 6 tweets
Jun 17
This is an Starmerite journo talking about yours truly.

It's really striking how they refuse to accept the left have principled objections and that it must all be a personal grudge.

I don't want to be Starmer's pen pal. I just wanted him to stick by his leadership promises! Image
Starmer's apologists know that the left has a legitimate case.

- Starmer promised transformative domestic policies, then junked them, and promised a broad church, then went to war with the left.

- He backed Tory benefit cuts which drive kids into poverty, and Israeli war crimes
Clearly the left is going to be upset about all of that.

If you think all of that duplicity and dishonesty is a necessary evil for a higher aim, then fine, make the case.

But you have to accept the inevitable consequence will be the left not being happy about it. Obviously.
Read 8 tweets
Jun 15
Here is a case study in moral bankruptcy and desperation.

Let's go through it, shall we.

Firstly, the caption was "Welcome to Gaza. You wanted war? You got war. Long live Israel."

As I said. Genocidal mania.
There are countless examples of Israeli soldiers posing for pictures in the homes of Palestinians they've displaced and butchered.

Including posing with women's lingerie and kids' toys and scrawling genocidal graffiti.

By countless I mean there's too many examples to count.

There's even an entire genre of Israeli soldiers posting their Gaza war 'souvenir' pictures on dating apps.

Read 22 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(