The Wizard Of Ops Profile picture
Jan 27, 2023 9 tweets 4 min read Read on X
I have received a bunch of questions about how I knew 3 weeks ago to be bullish for February from #volland. Ever since the CPI report in January, the options landscape for dealers has been the same as the big bull run... that is, puts bought and calls sold by customers.
That presents as sold puts and bought calls by dealers. That created $91B in open net positive delta in $SPX, seen in the #volland picture. Why is this bullish? In short, this typical GEX formation creates a lot of negative charm to push markets up... Image
Charm is seen in the picture with the negative aggregate charm highlighted in green (for bullish). To have such high charm this early in the option month is a big deal, as it will only grow the closer we get to Feb. opex. As price increases, vol typically decreases... Image
That means positive aggregate vanna will result in buying. Lower IV means lower deltas, which means buying for dealers. (I know fixed-strike vol is needed for vanna change calculations, but lets put that aside for now since the vol crunch has been across all strikes). Image
This creates a single large feedback loop per day, and resulted in bullish action. I wasn't expecting such a large push so fast, but we get what we get.

This formation does come with danger in the gamma world, seen in this Delta-Adjusted Gamma (DAG) chart. Positive = buying. Image
if we run into a stretch where the market gets scared, it can get ugly fast, as you can see by the cliffs. This looks like the typical "GEX" chart since this is the typical GEX assumption, so right now the GEXers and I agree on option outlook, even if they don't give credit...
to vanna and charm for the advance, they have an idea that this formation, if accurate, results in an advance until it doesn't.

Another note, even though we are in earnings season, this formation is the same across many equities. Here's $AAPL DAG with resistance at 150-155. Image
Here's $MSFT who would love to see a push past 255 to keep the good vibes rolling. And so on.
If you believe option dealer positioning has a major impact on market moves (which it absolutely does whether you believe it or not), I wouldn't know how you can trade without #volland Image

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with The Wizard Of Ops

The Wizard Of Ops Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @WizOfOps

Dec 21, 2023
How important are option dealer hedging flows to market returns? How much impact does #0DTE have? How accurate is #Volland? To answer all of these questions, we wrote a white paper with Volland data. This paper is now available:

There is a lot of commentary about option dealer flows and their impact on the market. Volland is the most comprehensive public estimate of the dealer book expressed in notional greeks. We assess positioning at the trade level, store and aggregate every option trade, and show the greek imbalance on every option in ~225 equities.

I will note some key white paper findings in this thread.wizofops.com/whitepaper.html
First, on a swing basis, here is the total notional #delta change regressed against $SPX returns. This includes gamma hedging. It is interesting, but the R^2 is only at .35, and there seems to be quite a few stray data points. Image
Remarkably, #vega hedging is the strongest correlation from a greek perspective. With an R^2 of .49, and a similar slope to spot-vol correlation (inversed because of dealer hedging), this relationship is very tight.

Further, the stray points are clearly prejudiced to overvixing when markets drop hard and undervixing when markets rise fast. This is shocking because vega is a risk that dealers typically warehouse.

Since IV is a metric that is directly controlled by the trades and counterparties, dealers may be just adjusting IV in accordance to their vega position and underlying movement. This seems to be true if aggregate vega is always negative. So is it?Image
Read 6 tweets
Apr 27, 2023
Good Morning! Today @myTradeHawk and I have a special Trader's Workshop show live at the Options Industry Conference. CBOE's Head of Product Intelligence Henry Schwartz will be on with us. Tune in at 9am EST, it is must watch. youtube.com/live/rQCmXI0In…
The @OptionsConf is a conference with companies that facilitate options trading. They include MMs, the OCC, exchanges, broker-dealers, clearing firms, etc. It is industry professionals only, so it is all about the plumbing of options from the plumbers themselves.
With so much high-level talent here, I want to know what their concerns are, and the future of options markets. There were a couple of trends in the discussion. One was about innovation. With daily expiries in $SPX and related products, was it handled well, and what's next?
Read 11 tweets
Apr 26, 2023
Good Morning! Yesterday was a long-awaited post-opex downturn, but as I said numerous times, until markets cross $SPX 4K, this is a dip to eventually buy. That needs to be crossed within the next couple of weeks. Earnings will whip markets, but the key is tomorrow...
No, not GDP. Not PCE Thurs, not $META earnings, but the one macro event that could drive markets under $SPX 4K is the BoJ Interest Rate decision. After reading Ueda's statements over the past few weeks, I don't think anything will happen this month, but signaling is possible.
Ueda has spoken about price stability, and Core CPI remains elevated. He might signal a shift in policy that won't necessarily be hawkish, but he needs domestic investment so he may try to repatriate investment. Japan is the world's largest creditor, so this would send shockwaves
Read 7 tweets
Apr 25, 2023
Good Morning! Another slow market day yesterday, but there should be some vol expansion over the next couple of days, as shown in the premarket. Several liquidity modelers showing we are overdue for a pullback, and any vol expansion will be bearish thanks to positive vanna.
Recently in my discord, I have been previewing earnings reports, both from #volland and @optionrats, and there is a loud, consistent theme... lower profit expectations, lower event vol. Across all sectors, all major companies particularly non-growth companies have lower earnings.
It isn't by a little bit either. $XOM, $BA, $MSFT, $CMG, $META... all of them are seeing reduces profits. Yet markets are floating up, increasing multiples to very high levels. Part of that is dealer hedging, but ultimately this will result in deflation.
Read 5 tweets
Mar 3, 2023
Good Morning! Yesterday featured another meandering negative day until some dovish comments from a non-voting member of the FOMC accused of insider trading (Bostic) caused a rally, despite some hawkish comments from a voting member not accused of insider trading (Waller).
There was a lot of red in the days prior, so I imagine that this was just some pent-up bullishness looking for a reason to come out of the shadows. There is non-manufacturing PMI today and speeches by 4 non-JPow FOMC govs, one of them is Bostic again.
These events shouldn't move markets, but I wasn't expecting Bostic yesterday. It seems like Bostic, Bullard, and JPow move markets, and I don't understand why Bostic and Bullard do out of everyone. Maybe someone can clarify because they aren't the most influential.
Read 5 tweets
Mar 2, 2023
Good Morning! A wild 0DTE day with swift and decisive activity yesterday, but again a modest loss. The past few weeks have been reminiscent of all of 2022. Rising rates taking down equities. Yesterday I meandered on Twitter a little more and noticed some prayers to vanna.
@jam_croissant popularized the "window of weakness", a period of 2 weeks after opex where vanna and charm have less of an effect. The subsequent weeks then have a bullish bias because of vanna and charm flows on option hedges for the month. Normally this is accurate, however...
The current environment is different. First, there is less hedging than there was even last month. Second, aggregate charm is currently positive. The 4000 strike was most popular for hedging in March and it is ITM, which makes its charm a bearish force unless we rally past it.
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(