Eleanor M Harris Profile picture
Feb 8, 2023 18 tweets 10 min read Read on X
Today 8 February is the birthday (the 204th) of my favourite philosopher John Ruskin. It's hard to articulate the scale of the influence he's had on my life - never mind society - but here's an appropriately chaotic thread to try. 🧵
I discovered Ruskin visiting his museum-home Brantwood in my early 20s. I noted the famous quotes, haunted the gardens with my sketchbook, bought a cheap paperback edition of selected writings in the shop. Here was someone telling the truth across the centuries to me.
For many years after that, I worked to see the world like Ruskin. I read his writings - but didn't study them. I was too busy looking and sketching like Ruskin; trying to write in the captivating style of Ruskin. I aspired to be a polymath like Ruskin.
Bryophytes? It was Ruskin showed me those. He showed it's ok - essential in fact - to recognise that we are not detached scientists, but observing the world from the inside. We choose our values, we choose where to see beauty and what to love, and it's vital we choose right.
For several years Paul O'Keefe performed Ruskin's four "Edinburgh Lectures" (one of his demolitions of the middle classes) in the Scottish National Gallery in the Fringe. I hope he might do it again. I took time off work to see them. They are brilliant - and hilariously funny.
I learned the power of a good PowerPoint from these re-enactments. Ruskin used poster-sized illustrations - like these where he discusses the art of olden times and then unveils the pinnacle of perfection of modern architectural decoration of which Edinburgh was so proud...
Edinburgh changed its style after the "Edinburgh lectures". This is one of the first - and my favourite - examples, a warehouse in West Register St by a businessman who had clearly been studying Ruskin's "Stones of Venice". (Ruskin got me thinking about addressing business too).
The businessman was part of the huge Edinburgh papermaking industry - reshaping the Pentlands - due to the unparalleled global demand for these. Ruskin grew up reading Walter Scott's novels and the chaotic, rich, polymathic connection is evident. I devoured them too.
In my early Ruskin phase I made a particularly sanctimonious illumination of a famous passage from "The Nature of the Gothic". But part of being a Ruskin disciple is writing wry footnotes on the enthusiastic efforts of one's youth. This footnoted passage particularly struck me...
"The English word "Firmament" is obscure and useless" says Ruskin, arguing that when we look out of our office window, we simply see - heaven. This passage nagged me for years.
Every time I heard people clergy usually) talking about God, I heard, 'The English word "God" is obscure and useless'. Ruskin lost his faith, and went mad, and I realised it was imperative to be able to articulate mine. It took a long time.
Ruskin inspired many things - the British Labour movement (which was much more Ruskinian than Marxist), William Morris - these deeply influenced my art and thought too.
I can't find the quote, but an architectural historian wrote that Ruskin couldn't admire a building without seeing it as a turning point in civilization. He meant it snidely, but I celebrate it. There are so many great and sacred confluences in human history, and our own.
I'll end with my favourite piece of Ruskin writing of all - from that cheap edition - delivered in Tunbridge Wells of all places. He starts with the rusty stain that has to keep being cleaned off their elegant fountain, and uses it to talk about - well - everything.
In the section on iron in nature, Ruskin shows how, by paying attention to colour, we can see every day that even the rocks are not "other" to us, but elementally connected: our brothers and sisters in the healthy blush of iron ♥️
Via wrought iron, ploughs, daggers and fetters, Ruskin explores the iron-y symbolism of how we treat our fellow humans. I couldn't stop thinking about this as I was digging up brown earths and ironpans with our forestry team.
"No one ever did a truer thing than to see something, and tell what he saw in a plain way. Hundreds can speak, for one who can think, but thousands can think, for one who can see. To see clearly is poetry, philosophy, and religion, all in one." John Ruskin, b. 8 Feb 1819.

🧵end

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Eleanor M Harris

Eleanor M Harris Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @eleanormharris

Apr 18, 2023
A robust tradeable natural capital unit (carbon offset, nature credit) possesses:

🔴Monitoring, reporting, verification (MRV)
🟡Permanence
🟢Additionality
🔵Hermeticality
galbraithgroup.com/insights-news/… Image
🔴MRV
This is why you need metrics, codes, and auditors. James and I are currently on the sharp end of Woodland Carbon Code auditing, and are wearily conscious of how rigorous it is.
🟡Permanence
Easy for an 'avoidance' offset: if in 2023 you protect a peatland from degradation, or displace coal with solar, that's off the 2023 record for ever. But if you grow trees, or enhance soil and in 2030 they burn down or erode - that carbon's back on your books.
Read 7 tweets
Apr 17, 2023
One of our most important habitat indicators, the @_BTO bird index, has recently been updated. I'm pleased to see that UK and England data are now disagreggated. The picture shows no room for complacency. 🧵 ImageImage
Woodland birds🌲🌳have seen long decline in England, stabilising slightly. They enjoyed long growth in Scotland (green line) but recently declined.

What are the causes? Creating? Harvesting? Native management? Woodland moves slowly, and intervention impacts over decades. ImageImage
Farmland🌽🚜birds haven't seen the crash in Scotland that they have in England - but is that because there has been less intensification, or for other reasons - like fewer farmland birds to start with? ImageImage
Read 6 tweets
Jan 1, 2023
How could you be happier, healthier, wealthier and above all greener? I spend a lot of time thinking about a better relationship with material things - so here are my top lifestyle tips for 2023... 🧵 #Resolutions
1. Get a hot water bottle. Instantly turn any slightly chilly situation into a cozy delicious one. I'm always amazed to find how many people think they're historic artefacts.
2. Turn some of your lawn into a flower bed/ vegetable patch. Too many benefits of this to yourself and nature to fit in a tweet.
Read 24 tweets
Dec 10, 2022
I look like a chartered forester! It's been a six year process to pass my @TheICF entry, but I'm now Dr Eleanor Harris MICFor.
Why did I do it? I started for reasons of confidence and identity: as a historian and environmentalist who has never wielded a chainsaw or successfully shot a deer, I wanted to be able to demonstrate I belonged in this tribe. But it turned out much more substantive 2/
A professional qualification is completely different from a PhD. The work record is just "doing your job" - but having to categorise it and have it signed off by your manager for 3 years really makes you consider your skills and what you are competent in (and what you aren't). 3/
Read 11 tweets
Aug 4, 2022
The news of the proposed closure of BSW's smallest and oldest mill is sad news, and should get the cogs turning in the brains of anyone interested in the low-carbon economy. 1/ strathspey-herald.co.uk/news/blow-to-4…
It's no surprise- without major investment it struggles to compete on efficiency with bigger and more modern mills; but as an industrial softwood mill it doesn't appeal to the artisan wood user market. Over the years the timber industry has developed a big hole in the middle. 2/
Does it matter? Yes - 40 people's jobs are on the line today. 👱🏽👨‍🦳👨‍🦱🧔🏻👱🏻‍♀️🧑‍🦰👩🏼‍🦲 But I think it goes deeper than that. 3/
Read 8 tweets
Oct 1, 2021
This is a really important insight by @andyheald on how restocking figures can give a clearer idea of how our woodlands are really expanding and changing. Let me try to visualise and explain it... 1/ Image
🌲 It's rare for broadleaf to be felled and restocked, so restocking can be assumed to be on former conifer.
🌲 Much conifer restocking isn't grant-funded, so its statistics aren't reliable, but replacing it with broadleaf often is. 2/
So 'broadleaf restocking' represents broadleaf woodland creation, over and above what's in the 'new woodland' statistics, but on former conifer instead of former open land. 3/
Read 13 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(