Gavin Mortimer Profile picture
Feb 9, 2023 6 tweets 3 min read Read on X
1/6
BBC Rogue Heroes inspired one gentleman to dig into his father’s special forces background. All that Terence Denman had were a few photos of his dad – John Bull Denman - from 1944/45 in his SAS beret. He dropped me a line.
(The photos that follow are of John & his pals)
2/
It was a mystery at first. John Denman, who joined from the REME, had the Africa & Italy Stars but had never seen service in France. His army paybook recorded he’d 'passed No. III Initial Parachute Course Pt. II O. No. 1732 on 31 May 1944'
In all photos was the sand beret.
3/
So unlikely he was in 1 or 2SAS because in '44 he would have worn the maroon beret.
Had he been in the SBS, who wore the sand beret throughout the war?
Terence didn’t think so.
Then he unearthed a photo on which was written on the back: 'LRS REME c/o HQ Raiding Forces'.
4/
Eureka!
'LRS' stood for Light Repair Section & they were part of Raiding Forces, established in March 1943 in the Middle East under the command of Lt-Col Harry Cator, a WW1 veteran.

It comprised the following:
5/
a) New SAS Commando Squadron
b) New SAS Small-Scale Raiding Squadron (under the command of Paddy Mayne)
c) Greek Squadron (Sacred Heart)
d) Raiding Forces Signals
e) Light Repair Section
f) Special Boat Squadron (under Jellicoe)
g) Any other forces that may be raised
6/6
The LRS did the same physical training as the SAS & SBS, including parachuting, & were entitled to wear the beret on its successful completion.
The LRS were with the SBS in Greece & the Balkans in 44/45, & some REME parachuted into France with jeeps with the SAS in 1944.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gavin Mortimer

Gavin Mortimer Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @PhoneyMajor

Sep 10
1/4
Last time I saw Mike Sadler (pic) was at the final LRDG lunch in 2017. We talked of Paddy Mayne & Mike lamented the rubbish written about him in recent decades.
I asked Mike to sum up Mayne.
'Controlled recklessness,' he said
Ambrose McGonigal of the SBS had the same quality. Image
2/4
Mayne & McGonigal (pic), MC & bar, had much in common.
They were both fine rugby players (Ambrose was a Leinster Schools cap) & contemporaries at Queen’s Uni, Belfast.
The pair served in the Royal Ulster Rifles, and then the Commandos, as did Eoin, Ambrose's younger brother. Image
¾
Eoin (pic) was an SAS ‘Original’, KIA in the inaugural op, Nov 1941.
Ambrose transferred to the SBS & in September 1944 he led an 8-man patrol into south Yugoslavia to harry the Germans as they retreated from Greece.
McGonigal attacked the Germans with controlled recklessness. Image
Read 4 tweets
Aug 30
1/4
August 30 1944
Significant date in SBS history.
On this day 80 years ago Andy Lassen, pic, & 11 men raided Yugoslavia, blowing a bridge a few miles south of Dubrovnik.
They'd come across the Adriatic in a motor launch from the SBS base in Italy.
Blowing the bridge was easy... Image
2/4
...the extraction was trickier.
Particularly when confronted with dozens of Nazis & Ustaše.
I met 2 men on the raid: Dick Holmes (lt) & Doug Wright.
The Daily Telegraph claimed Doug ‘strangled nine Germans with his bare hands’ during the war.
Little exaggerated, said Dick. Image
¾
You certainly wouldn't have wanted to spill Doug's pint.
He once sparred with Joe Louis.
In his report Lassen said they held off the Germans & Croat fascists in a fierce firefight. No, said Wright (rt).
‘We ran. That’s the only way to do it. Hit & run, that’s how we operated.’ Image
Read 4 tweets
Jun 6
¼
June 6 1944.
Operation Titanic.
The 6 men of 1SAS parachuted into Normandy just after midnight.
They came down close to Remilly-sur-Lozon. The 2 officers, Fred Fowles (l) and Norman Poole (r) were separated from their men. The four set off their explosives & then found a hedge.
2/
Four Brits hiding in a French hedge…
Locals soon spotted them & word was passed to André Le Duc (pic), a 33-year-old shopkeeper & father of seven from Remilly-sur-Lozon, who was in the Resistance.
On the night of June 6 he moved the four to the ruins of Château de Montfort. Image
3/
Poole & Fowles were located & brought to the Chateau. They had been cutting phone lines & sniping Germans.
The area was now thick with Germans but the odd lost US airborne soldier was brought by Andre to the SAS.
Pic: SAS & US airborne. Tony Merryweather is front, then Poole Image
Read 4 tweets
Apr 28
1/4
April 28 1944.
On this day began one of the great feats of endurance in the history of US special forces.
The march up & over the 6,100ft Naura Hkyat Pass in the Burmese jungle was undertaken by ‘Merrill’s Marauders’.
One Marauder described it to me as 'a trail of sadness'. Image
2/
That man was Bernard Martin, seen here 2nd row, two from right.
Bernie’s best friend, Bill Smawley, next to him on the end of the 2nd row, didn’t survive.
The Marauders were riddled with malaria, typhus & amoebic dysentery.
Feverish & exhausted, every step was an effort. Image
3/
Staff/Sgt James McGuire kept a diary:
'April 28: 6:30am started hiking, went up 2600 ft, really tough climb. We have 6000 ft mt to go over & it's really raining & muddy.
April 29: Went up 4000 more ft. Going tough. Lost 12 horses & mules. Fell over cliffs, had to be shot.' Image
Read 4 tweets
Dec 3, 2023
1/7
At dawn on December 3 1941 L/Cpl Mike ‘Lofty' Carr (pic) was alone behind enemy lines in Libya.
The previous night he’d got separated from his LRDG patrol.
Then he saw a Senussi camp.
What happened next was a lesson in humanity that Lofty kept with him for all his 101 years. Image
2/
In 2014 I read him his report of the encounter, which he’d written 73 years earlier. “I asked for food & water & was provided with camel’s milk, macaroni & coffee by the natives,” wrote Lofty in 1941. “Having been fed I was next provided with blankets and taken to a cistern."
3/
Lofty (front, right) slept there for the rest of the day.
1941: “On waking I found myself to be unwell and unable to carry on to Grar el Ambar (the LRDG RV). The hospitable Senussi took me to their Sheikh’s smaller tent & put me to bed on sheepskins.”
Two civilizations now met Image
Read 7 tweets
Sep 26, 2023
1/7
September 26 1943 – the date of arguably the greatest special forces raid of WW2.
It was codenamed Jaywick & comprised 3 Brits & 3 Aussies
Wally Falls, Don Davidson, Andy Huston, Ivan Lyon, Arthur Jones & Bob Page.
Here they toast their success
Wally, Don & Ivan were British. Image
2/
They departed Exmouth Gulf, W.A, on Sep 2, in the Krait (pic), a 70-ft long fishing vessel with a 6 cylinder H.P engine.
Their target was Singapore harbour, 1800 miles north.
They were going deep into enemy territory, but only Ivan Lyon knew that among the crew of fourteen. Image
3/
Lyon revealed the destination three days out. "This is not a dangerous trip," he said, "it’s an experience".
Ivan Lyon was a maverick genius, one of the most important figures in the evolution of British SF.
On his chest was a tiger tattoo – a nod to his favourite beer. Image
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(