Mother of Tanks Profile picture
Feb 14, 2023 37 tweets 16 min read Read on X
BATTLE OF SIDI BOU ZID Image
The next #WhyWeFight1943 podcast episode will feature Dr. @MarkCalhoun47 and he will take us through the story of this German Offensive in February 1943, beginning with the Battle of Sidi Bou Zid and into Kasserine Pass. So this is a primer to help make the most of that episode. Image
As noted in Saturday’s Twitter thread, the Allies failed to take Tunis after heading east immediately following the landings of Operation Torch in NOV 1942 and the major action more or less stalled in Tunisia.
The Axis forces controlled much of Tunisia until late 1942 when the Allies were able to capture a portion (the Eastern Dorsal) of the Atlas Mountains and hold onto it. The US II Corps along with a French corps (XIX Corps) held this Eastern Dorsal. Image
The II Corps commander, LTG Fredendall, set up a headquarters in Tebessa, which probably wasn’t ideal considering Tebessa was about 80 miles behind them and once there, LTG Fredendall rarely visited the front they had established.
In the 1930s, the French had set up a line of fortifications in Tunisia to protect from an invasion by Mussolini’s forces. This was named the Mareth Line as it occupied an area that included a point where routes converged heading toward Mareth, between Gabès and Medenine. Image
By January 1943, Rommel and his combined German-Italian forces were around this Mareth Line, while General Arnim, in command of the 5th Panzer Army, had been conducting smaller attacks in late 1942 – early 1943 to keep the Allied forces from gaining any real ground. ImageImage
These German-Italian Axis forces under Rommel and Arnim met up, and in this area near Sidi Bou Zid there were elements from both sets of forces including Afrika Korps’ 21st Panzer Division and the 5th Panzer Army’s 10th Panzer Division. Image
Lacking any real intelligence on the intentions of those Axis commanders, Fredendall spread out his forces with the hope of being able to fend off any potential attacks but, by doing this, his units were a bit too far from each other to be of any real help should something arise. Image
At Sidi Bou Zid, against the judgment of his subordinate commanders, Fredendall tasked the 34th Infantry Division’s 168th Regimental Combat Team and the 1st Armored Division’s Combat Command A with defending the city. @TheRedBulls @1stArmoredDiv Image
To that end, the forces were positioned on raised “islands” which will ultimately set them up for failure. ImageImage
Fearing that the Americans and Allies might launch an attack from the Eastern Dorsal, held by the US II Corps and French XIX Corps forces, Rommel ordered Arnim to attack at the Faid Pass, about 12 miles northeast of Sidi Bou Zid, on 30 JAN 1943. Image
French XIX Corps forces were holding the Faid Pass but they were relatively underequipped. General Arnim attacked the French positions around the Eastern Dorsal and, despite their fierce resistance, captured the Faid Pass that day. Image
The French commander had attempted to reach LTG Fredendall to get help sent from the US II Corps, but American decisions were slow and the panzers were fast. Suffering many casualties, the French XIX Corps was forced to give up the Faid Pass. Image
Now the Faid Pass was in Axis hands, with the American forces split between two hills to defend Sidi Bou Zid, and Fredendall was still far from the front.
“The mission of the Axis Forces was to cut through the Dorsals… continue northward to the Mediterranean, isolating the Allied forces facing Tunis and Bizerte.” Image
“The 10th Panzer was to attack Sidi Bou Zid directly through Faid Pass. The 21st Panzer would emerge from Maizila Pass, swing behind the US positions at Sidi Bou Zid and strike from the rear.” ImageImage
On 14 FEB 1943, 80 years ago today, four battle groups consisting of about "140 tanks from the German 10th Panzer Division and 21st Panzer Division rushed through Faid Pass and Maizila Pass toward Sidi Bou Zid under the cover of a sand storm” around 4am.
By 10am, the Axis commander sent half his forces to each of the two hills, fighting off American resistance along the way. When one of the hills was encircled, among those captured was LTC John K. Waters, Patton’s son-in-law. ImageImage
“By the end of the day, most of the American fighting vehicles had been driven west or destroyed, leaving infantrymen atop the hills… with no support.” Image
A counterattack was launched on 15 FEB by American General Orlando Ward. They “suffered great casualties in the face of German aircraft strafing and bombing and then German tank attacks…” Image
“… at the cost of 46 medium tanks, 9 self-propelled guns, and a number of other vehicles” the Americans captured Djebel el Hamra*.

*(I think it's circled, based on the associated number, but I couldn't find a labeled map.) Image
The following are quotes from the @USArmyCMH book “Tunisia”: Image
“While Eisenhower struggled to contain squabbles on the Allied side, the Germans refueled their tanks and continued west. On the 14th (FEB) they hit Sidi Bou Zid, ten miles beyond Faid. With over 200 tanks on both sides, a huge, drawn-out battle appeared in the making.” ImageImage
“But American armor was spread too thin, and the panzers punched through in only one day.” Image
“An ineffective counterattack the next day and the stunning capture of some 1400 troops forced the Americans to undertake a major withdrawal. As the @1stArmoredDiv fell back, enemy pressure eased.” Image
“On the 16th the panzers resumed their westward push, seizing Sbeitla, 25 miles beyond Sidi Bou Zid. Again the Americans scrambled back to establish a new defensive position, this time at Kasserine Pass.” Image
“Four days of successive defeats cost II Corps dearly. The Americans lost 2546 missing, 103 tanks, 280 vehicles, 18 field guns, 3 antitank guns, and 1 antiaircraft battery.” Image
“Even service and medical companies, miles behind the infantry and armor, had been reached by the onrushing panzers.” Image
“The succession of II Corps defeats did not end with the loss of Sbeitla. Rommel saw the opportunity to keep his battered adversary reeling with a push for an even bigger prize: Kasserine Pass, gateway to Algeria.” Image
Northwest Africa: Seizing the Initiative in the West @USArmyCMH

history.army.mil/html/books/006… Image
Kasserine Pass Battles: Maps and Sketches @USArmyCMH @1stArmoredDiv

history.army.mil/books/Staff-Ri… Image
CSI Battlebook: The Battle of Sidi Bou Zid

apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fullte… Image
Kasserine Pass: German Offensive, American Victory by @MarkCalhoun47

nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/k…
Battle of Faid Pass and Sidi Bouzid – 30 JAN 1943 to 17 FEB 1943

ww2db.com/battle_spec.ph…
If you are just tuning in or you miss any of the threads, you can find them all saved on this website along with links to other content from this year’s Why We Fight ~ 1943 series and the previous two series.
motheroftanks.com/why-we-fight-1…

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Mother of Tanks

Mother of Tanks Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Mother_of_Tanks

Apr 4, 2023
LADY BE GOOD
A B-24 BOMBER’S FIRST AND LAST MISSION Image
On 25 March 1943, a B-24 Liberator named “Lady Be Good” was assigned to the 514th Bomb Squadron, 376th Bombardment Group (Heavy), stationed at Soluch Field in Libya. Image
The crew had arrived in Libya a week earlier, on 18 March 1943, trained but not yet tested on real missions. But they would be soon.
Read 45 tweets
Feb 21, 2023
WINGED ANGELS & ANGELS IN OD GREEN
During WWII, more than 59,000 American nurses will serve in the Army Nurse Corps, at times working extremely close to the front lines. @medcoe
The Army Medical Department established a “chain of evacuation” in WWII, and nurses will serve “under fire in field hospitals and evacuation hospitals, on hospital trains and hospital ships, and as flight nurses on medical transport planes.”
Read 45 tweets
Jan 17, 2023
THE CASABLANCA CONFERENCE (Part I) Image
It was not unusual for President Roosevelt’s travel plans to be kept secret, especially during the war, so it did not raise any eyebrows when he took a special train north on 9 JAN 1943. Many just assumed he was heading home to Hyde Park in New York. He was not. Image
He took the train to Baltimore, then changed direction and went to Miami. From there, he got on a Boeing 314 named the Dixie Clipper and traveled for about 10 hours, landing in Trinidad. The next day, they traveled for another 9 hours to Brazil to refuel. Image
Read 38 tweets
Nov 1, 2022
SECOND BATTLE OF EL ALAMEIN (Part III)
Operation Supercharge and Rommel’s Retreat
We left off Saturday with Montgomery planning another attack, this time toward Tel el Aqqaqir, northwest of the Kidney feature.
Similar to the initial plan for the Second Battle of El Alamein, Operation Lightfoot, Operation Supercharge would involve a couple of Infantry brigades advancing and clearing a path through minefields, supported by tanks that would follow them.
Read 38 tweets
Jun 27, 2022
WHITE ROSE (Weiße Rose) Image
While I was aware of things like the Dutch Resistance, French Resistance, and resistance movements throughout Europe during WWII, I was really only familiar with those resistance movements in countries that were invaded and occupied by the Nazis. ImageImage
It’s not really essential to the overall series but in the course of researching I learned a little bit about resistance movements inside Nazi Germany during the war, including the White Rose movement which I would like to talk about today. Image
Read 44 tweets
Jul 16, 2021
Once the vaccine was offered to my team at MCTP, I signed right up. Getting vaccinated was a huge relief and it allowed me to easily travel for work, spend face-to-face time with my team, and safely meet folks like @PatDonahoeArmy @TedMartin1775 & @stephdmartin and @MSNCMD_MAZ
Knowing my family has almost all been vaccinated is also a huge relief. My mom and (most of) my siblings and my niece and nephew, and my ex-husband too. I still worry about them all but this helps.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(