JChoe Profile picture
Feb 15, 2023 8 tweets 4 min read Read on X
We say "information war", I'd argue, because it's about information theory at its core, and it's not about raw data nor the manufacture of facts.
It's unbelievably contentious to provide a complete account of how people read, but at least for disinfo, you could think of it like this:

A fact is an objectively existent thing/event.

A reading is what we make out of that.

The narrative is the story we tell around it.
People just, like, making stuff up is pretty easy to handle, we know what to call that.

So, like, George Santos.

As in, literally anything George Santos says about himself.

That's pretty clearly intentionally making stuff up, or disinformation.
When we deal with a true fact, though, and assign a misleading reading, or use it to advance or make more real ("reify") a false or hateful narrative, then it stops being so cut-and-dry.
This sounds hand-wavey without examples (a lot of disinfo theory does, actually).

This is a really good example I just came across today courtesy of fellow... uh... #nafo #fella (#nafellow?)

That video isn't forged or a deepfake. No one is saying that.

The issue is the misleading framing - the way that it's produced, using a POW under coercion - and the misleading narrative coming from it.

It's not exactly a neat solution, but the solution on the table to contest those readings right now seems to be us.

As in, #NAFO.
I suppose we could say "even Mark Cuban gets it".

Copypasta and AI-generated disinfo are actually already out there, but chatGPT has everyone putting 2+2 together.

That 2+2=4 here means, you're not enacting a supply-side solution here for disinfo.

cnbc.com/2023/02/12/mar…
And if you want to enact a demand-side solution, you aren't doing it with an app, or for that matter anything else that's all "stagey" and cringe and artificial like that.

It requires something that looks a lot like NAFO actually.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with JChoe

JChoe Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @JoohnChoe

Jul 22
if you're wondering what Kamala Harris' foreign policy is going to be like, the answer I'm getting from reading is

"basically more of the same but more realistically hawkish, and less blindly supportive of Israel"

Take a look yourself, I'll link some articles

1/7
Generally speaking, if you like Biden's foreign policy but you wish he'd be more assertive towards Russia... you're going to like what you see.

1. The Bulwark's interview is relatively light on substance, mostly reassuring its readers on Israel thebulwark.com/p/what-would-a…
2. Bazail-Eimil, et al., at Politico, go more in-depth, looking at Harris' foreign policy stances, advisors and experience, but end up with pretty much the same answers as The Bulwark (via internet archive)
archive.is/wdwag
Read 8 tweets
Jul 22
Usually when people explain how Republicans got all pro-Russia, they start with two events at opposite ends of history, and weave history in-between; the quality of the result is based on which points they pick and the thread they weave.

That's what makes this good.

1/5
The two events that people pick are usually Reagan and Trump, crediting Reagan with beating the U.S.S.R. and faulting Trump for his deference to Putin.

As Gais (more deftly) does, the WCF is one thread you can weave between; I think it's certainly one of the easier to understand Image
When I ask "why are Republicans all pro-Russia" I tend to start with an out-of-expectation event or investigation, and try to draw out pattern & theme similarities.

So one set of the answers I get has to do with a global far-right power grab financed by billionaires. Image
Read 5 tweets
Jul 21
If you look back at Harris' exchanges with Biden on busing in their '19 debate, I think you can almost discern a kind of historical 'rhyme' with what's happening today in terms of the transition from Biden to Harris at the top of the ticket.

1/16

It comes down to implicit bias - biases that you can't really control, that are "baked into" who you are as a person.

The "problem" - such as it is - is that we fit people into schemas, patterns of how we expect people to turn out, without even trying. It's natural. Image
An easy example is me. People tend to expect that I'm just another accented-English tech dork. There are just so many quiet Asian tech dorks speaking accented English. It is statistically reasonable for some people, even if it is offensive.
Read 16 tweets
Jul 17
yeah there we go, Project 2025 is a working talking point

the fact that Trump tried to distance himself from it, then brought on board Vance shows that they're aware it's working against them politically

Team Biden almost definitely A/B tested and focus-grouped this
I strongly suspect some of the dip in Republican generic ballot ratings has to do with this

If tatted-up contractors 'on project' somewhere know about Project 2025 because, like, girls they follow on TikTok/Instagram mentioned it, that's saying something

The beauty of talking about Project 2025 is also, like... they're stuck with it.

Look at the through-line connecting the Supreme Court decision on Chevron to influence attempts to destroy the administrative state the way Project 2025 does

It's billionaires
Read 9 tweets
Jul 14
In no particular order here is a collection of bad or simply interesting takes from the assassination attempt upon Trump

Gotta give the Spectator and Forbes here the lede, these are history-makers

via @fluteMagician this is... OK well I guess that's an opinion

literally a thing someone said, but also, demonstrative of a trend in MAGA discourse

Read 8 tweets
Jul 14
OK I'm gonna be real interested what the external ballistics people say but *assuming this geolocation checks out*

An average male human head is roughly 6 in / 15 cm wide, at 40 meters that's over 12 MOA/30 mils and change

That's a very makeable shot with a magnified scope
130 yards acc. to NY Post

I wonder if there's weather data available for today nypost.com/2024/07/13/us-…
Even then at 130 yards

6 inches is ~8 minutes of angle

Most commercial ARs and virtually every bolt gun is well under 2 minutes of angle accuracy

That's kind of a big miss
Read 7 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(