while some westerners proudly announce that in 2023 they finally start seeing centuries-old patterns of #RussianColonialism, let me share a 2003 essay by Ukrainian historian @globalrhizome where he told you everything to know about r*ssia, Ukraine, colonialism but few listened
yes, it was in English. yes, it was published by a respected Western academic journal. i bet if 30 pages of 'Postcolonialism, Russia and Ukraine' became a classic of eastern european and r*ssian studies, this genocide wouldn't be happening
jstor.org/stable/25748122
on r*ssian 'imperial innocence': 'in present-day Russia postcolonialism is perhaps the only major contemporary theoretical discourse that largely continues to be proudly and persistently ignored (old imperial habits die hard)" Image
calling out r*ssian bs of always turning everything into an opportunity to decenter #RussianColonialism victims and, for that, coming up with a bizarre concept of being "self-colonized" Image
on trailblazing the concept of white-on-white colonialism and how it greatly expands our understanding of racist ideologies and shows us how oppressive regimes of enforced inferiority can thrive beyond the more mainstream ‘color paradigm’ ImageImage
on 'denationalization' of indigenous identities under colonial r*ssia and Ireland-Ukraine colonial parallels🔥 Image
on Ukrainian 'identity alienation' under #RussianColonialism and how it reads identical to 'Manichean delirium' coined by Frantz Fanon, a prominent psychiatrist and political philosopher from the French colony Martinique Image
the other day i texted Dr. Chernetsky saying that if I had a chance to read his trailblazing essay at the time of the publication I am sure my life would be so much different and so much less time would be wasted in the trap of a colonized mind

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with вареничок.eristavi 🇺🇦🏳️‍🌈

вареничок.eristavi 🇺🇦🏳️‍🌈 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @maksymeristavi

Jul 18
art is the best shortcut for understanding russian colonial nature. would you like me to share some cool Ukrainian movies with English subtitles that will enlighten you about colonialism? you’re in luck
🪆🪓
my absolute fav is Chornobyl 22 by Oleksiy Radynskyi, the brightest anti-colonial thinker in Ukraine. this doc is about russian failed occupation of a Ukrainian nuclear station in 2022. eco-terrorism has always been a fixture of russian colonial behavior
takflix.com/en/films/chorn…
Eurodonbas by Kornii Hrytsiuk is a Ukrainian blockbuster of wartime docs, demolishing one of russia’s central imperial myths - that they ‘built’ eastern Ukraine. most of the featured cities don’t exist anymore, they were erased by russia
takflix.com/en/films/eurod…
Read 13 tweets
Jun 16
together with thousands of other Ukrainian Roma, Oleksiy Tyrpak heroically fought to defend his home and Europe from fascism. young, brave and fearless, russian murderers stole his from us, too. he would turn 25 earlier this month Image
earlier into the full-scale invasion, Oleksiy got seriously injured defending Ukraine and could retire from the army. despite persuasions from the family, he decided to return to the frontline after the recovery: “I simply can’t leave my battalion behind,” he told his loved ones
“he would never leave anyone behind”
entire Oleksiy’s village Tur’ya Pasika in Zakarpattia oblast showed up to mourn him. kindness and Ukrainianness of this hero transcended ethnicity, skin color or social status. russia has no right to exist
@suspilne_news
Read 6 tweets
Jun 13
this Ukrainian woman risked everything to walk out of russian occupation in southern Ukraine — russians often execute running refugees. the moment when she shows her Ukrainian passport indicating she just wants to get home broke my heart in million pieces
@vgorunews
Ukrainian soldiers also risked everything to evacuate her from a destroyed bridge at the frontline. your daily reminder that Ukraine stands for kindness and never leaves anyone behind
full story in Ukrainian by Kherson news outlet @vgorunews is here
vgoru.org/novini/drugii-…
Read 5 tweets
May 16
today we mark the Roma Resistance Day. the history of Ukrainian Roma fighting back against the colonial invaders, whether in 1945 or 2024, is integral to this story. however, it is also one of the least known. Image
my latest essay for russian colonialism 101. the newsletter Image
The Ukrainian resistance against fascism and colonialism, both its Western and russian forms, dates back generations. Romani-Ukrainians are integral part of this history Image
Read 13 tweets
Mar 26
Misha Biketov was a young artist writing electronic music for my favorite Ukrainian label @dnipropop. then russia came to his home and instead of art, he had to defend his family from genocide. Misha became a great drone operator instead. but russians still took him away from us Image
Misha was just 24.

His label and frontline unit are fundraising to support his family in these trying times.

Please join:
Mono transfer send.monobank.ua/jar/42MA6VEmCg
please also amplify the fundraiser:

instagram.com/p/C47kxkTNKV-/…
Read 4 tweets
Jan 29
blood-chilling account of russia-facilitated famine in Ukraine in 1921-1923. moscow starved up to 2.5 million Ukrainians or approximately 7-8% of the nation — it still remains largely unknown and poorly-studied chapters of #RussianColonialism Image
"There were many cases of suicide. Mothers threw their children into wells and rivers, killing themselves afterward. Hunger tormenting people so much that they became crazed." Image
the 1921 famine in the Soviet Union started as a weather- and war-provoked crisis. but while russia mobilized unprecedented international aid for regions closer to Moscow, the same catastrophe in newly recolonized Ukraine and Crimea-Qirim was kept as a secret and ignored Image
Read 15 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(