Carla Francome Profile picture
Feb 17, 2023 5 tweets 3 min read Read on X
Just off to the #Radio4 studio to talk about 15 minute cities at midday - on the show #BbcAntisocial. Exciting!

I’ve got a notebook full of scribbles and a head full of anecdotes- do tune in if you can!
It’s very important to wear your best gladrags and accessories even for radio I’ve decided! Here- blazer with red collars
Plus - necklace alert- the swimming baths girl!
We haven’t even started yet and the trees in Westminster are already up in arms! #BbcAntisocial
They’ve even got hanging baskets round here. So snazzy!

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Carla Francome

Carla Francome Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @carlafrancome

Apr 9
I’ve had a really interesting few days with this little piece of technology on my arm and I wanted to share it in case it’s helpful for others.

I had some blood tests recently and it turned out my blood sugar level is too high- in the pre diabetes range. I wasn’t hugely … 1/9 Image
surprised- my grandma had type 2 diabetes and I can remember her pricking her finger and giving up sugar.

I booked a session with a local nutritionist, who got me to order a real-time glucose monitoring system, and I got a 2-week one for free. … 2/9

freestyle.abbott/uk-en/home.html
The results have been a real eye-opener. A lot of food that I’ve been eating because I thought it was pretty healthy for me actually hasn’t been good.

This is the sugar spike I got when i ate vegetarian sushi from Itsu. I’d read in a book that rice isn’t so bad- wrong! … 3/9 Image
Read 10 tweets
Jan 27
In April last year, I was contacted by a stranger in my DM’s. He asked if we could speak that evening. I had no idea why.

I went along with it and called- it was a man from Bath I’ve since referred to as S.

He sounded so stressed, it was clearly hard to get his words … 1/8 Image
out and also breathe. It transpired that he lived in a new LTN in Bath. He’d come out in favour of it early, and had received a *tad* of a backlash 🤯

He’d had to come off Facebook and Nextdoor after receiving endless fury, and as the only one willing to speak out in … 2/8
favour of the scheme at a meeting, had been shouted at by a group.

He now felt he was hated locally, but more than that, was worried that councillors would listen to this noise and remove the scheme.

Well this week all 3 LTN schemes in Bath have been made permanent 🌳… 3/8
Read 11 tweets
Jan 16
It was a BIG night tonight, the launch of London Cycling’s report, “What stops women cycling?”

1000 women were surveyed about the abuse they face on bikes in the capital, and the results are astounding.

9 out of 10 women have faced aggression or abuse on the road.
🧵 1/14
“Get off the road” was the most common piece of verbal abuse (because how very DARE we think we deserve to be there?! 🙄)

The most shocking example was of men groping women out of car windows, when stopped in traffic. And … 2/14
93% of those surveyed said drivers had used their vehicles to intimidate them. 1 in 5 stopped cycling for a while or permanently after one of these events.

“We’re enraged, frustrated and saddened by the results” said Eilidh Murray from the Women’s Network. 3/14
Read 24 tweets
Nov 11, 2023
A weird thing happened today- I tried to sell my bike on Facebook marketplace and nearly got scammed.

Please pass this example on to folks you know who might sell anything on there, these people are very persuasive, and they try and get you by rushing you.

First off, … 1/8
I’m selling my lovely Bobbin Kingfisher. I got it for Christmas last year from my parents and have the receipt plus I can give the serial number.

It’s only been ridden a handful of times as I needed something with more gears. A guy messaged me this morning and said … 2/8

he wanted it for his wife. He was happy to pay this morning over paypal, and she could pick up this evening after church. He checked my postcode. It sounded okay so far.

He was quite urgent and said he was in a rush, and was keen for me to mark it as sold. … 3/8

Read 13 tweets
Oct 2, 2023
Oh my CRIKEY. Did anyone else just hear that on Radio 4?! Mark Harper, the Transport Secretary, speaking at the the Conservative Party Conference just said the following about 15-Minute Cities:

“What is sinister, and what we shouldn’t tolerate, is the idea that local … 1/3 Image
councils can decide how often you go to the shops, and that they can ration who uses the roads and when, and that they police it all with CCTV.”

Are any councils deciding how often you can go to the shops? Does he really honestly believe this? Guys is this real life, … 2/3
or have I just fallen into a weird Sci-Fi movie, where nonsense is being piped through the radio? It doesn’t quite feel real …

Just checked and it did actually happen …

3/3

gbr01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%…
Read 4 tweets
May 8, 2023
If you’re wondering why people who live in LTN’s are often too scared to publicly say they like them, here it is.

I’m being told not to interfere in the local community. If I lived here and people knew where? I’d probably feel scared and pipe right down. @bathLTNluvvers Image
Oh and from the same person. Look, at a public meeting, “a majority of people who attended the meeting said that they wanted the planters removed”.

This is a classic example. Did the majority of people at that meeting want the planters removed? What about in the community? /1 Image
Or do quite a lot of people actually quite like the scheme, they just are too scared to say?

/2
Read 4 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(