alexandra edwards, phd Profile picture
Mar 7, 2023 22 tweets 14 min read Read on X
Weelaunee Forest exploration report back!! On Sunday March 5, I hiked the proposed #CopCity site to record my observations. I have hiked numerous other Atlanta greenspaces but it was my first time here. #StopCopCity #DefendtheAtlantaForest

Here’s what I saw: Protect Weelaunee sign hung...
I began at Weelaunee People’s Park. Ryan Millsap has done intense damage to the park’s accessible paved paths and former infrastructure, and has felled several pines in the process, despite his land swap being the subject of an ongoing lawsuit Destroyed paths and gazebo ...
To the west of the park entrance and destroyed path, there’s a cut through into a small wooded area where many people set up camp. I was delighted to see so many people noticing this fringed iris in bloom (location marked on the map) ImageImage
Bradford pear trees are dotted throughout the forest, noticeable because they are in bloom. These trees are introduced here, and they spread easily as birds eat their fruits and then disperse seeds in their droppings Image
There are many stands of pines in the forest, like this one on the eastern side of Intrenchment Creek behind the RC field where the music festival was held. They create lovely soft beds of pine needles. ImageImage
Elsewhere east of Intrenchment Creek, downed deciduous trees are being reclaimed by the earth and the plants. Weelaunee Forest teems with life.

#StopCopCity Image
Around noon, as campers milled around, I took off my shoes and socks and crossed the creek at a shallow point so I could explore the western side—the side slated to become #CopCity. It’s a successional forest, younger in some places than others ImageImage
Maybe the weirdest thing about my hike was that I kept stumbling on defender campsites that were abandoned during January’s deadly raid. I found this one while admiring a family of white-tailed deer. Image
Other signs of life in the forest: plentiful deer tracks and one single dog footprint ImageImage
Still heading west, I reached the power line easement that runs through the forest. About 6 hours later activists headed up the same hill to a construction staging area but at noon it was empty & quiet enough to hear the music festival going on behind me Image
As I crossed the open space shown above, I planned out what I would say if I was detained while hiking. Despite there being well worn trails through this land, it isn’t clear if it’s still public or not

#StopCopCity
It felt surreal to wander and find barricades I had previously seen in the New Yorker—signs of resistance like outposts from another era. Time gets weird in the forest, especially as I’d been studying the 1821 land grant survey before I went #StopCopCity ImageImageImage
And all throughout the forest, so much life that will be destroyed if #CopCity is built—like these ferns nestled among tree roots, and the dewberries that spread everywhere and feed the animals ImageImage
At the main site where the city dumped the stones of the old Carnegie library, I thought about the beauty of the native forest reclaiming this former monument to capital and white supremacist literacies #StopCopCity ImageImage
The furthest west I went, I saw a fungus called dead man’s fingers emerging from tree roots under the muddy soil and thought about how much death this forest holds #StopCopCity ImageImage
It can be hard to identify trees in winter but I saw natives I recognized: sugar hackberry and pecan, both of which feed the animals who live in Weelaunee ImageImage
At the edge of one of the two ponds that could be contaminated by construction and runoff from #CopCity, the trees intermingle and the water flows into a stream that has fed Intrenchment Creek since time immemorial ImageImage
I made it back to the power line easement, further northwest near the construction staging site, where some large pines have been felled, and filmed this video with the local birds #StopCopCity twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Y’all I was so tired by the time I got back to the creek. I had been hiking for about 2 hours at this point. This daffodil cheered me up, as did the cold water on my feet Image
Back on the east side of Intrenchment Creek I saw another former treesit, this one clearly destroyed by cops in January. I saw but didn’t photograph many tents and campsites that the cops trashed and then left in the woods (seen in their body cam footage) #StopCopCity ImageImage
As I made my way back to the music festival around 2:30pm, I saw more ferns and mushrooms and big winter trees, and mock strawberries in bloom. I thought about how cool and welcoming the forest was, despite the sun, and how cop city will never be built :) ImageImageImageImage
Thus concludes my Weelaunee Forest exploration report back.

I encourage everyone who can to go walk in the forest. As @RebeccaSolnit’s work taught me, walking the land is talking with the land. #StopCopCity

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with alexandra edwards, phd

alexandra edwards, phd Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @nonmodernist

Aug 15
i have spoken on here about the circumstances leading to this harassment campaign—my reporting on the trial of a local antifascist
but if you haven’t known me for long, you may not know about the circumstances that led me to become a police and prison abolitionist

so let me tell you the story about my cousin mike, who passed away in 2022 Image
Read 12 tweets
Aug 12
in the years since sines v. kessler, i have noticed far-right extremists adapting their playbook to respond to, appropriate, and weaponize the plaintiffs' historic win.

i think antifascists cannot ignore this, and i'll explain why 🧵
sines v. kessler was a civil suit in which multiple plaintiffs sued the organizers of unite the right in charlottesville. the lawsuit was about a "conspiracy to interfere with civil rights" under federal law, as well as virginia state law regarding civil conspiracy
the jury in sines v kessler returned a mixed verdict, notably not able to reach a decision about a federal race-based conspiracy. but they did find that all defendants engaged a civil conspiracy under virginia law.

that result is important
Read 14 tweets
Aug 9
good morning! yesterday, while i was watching the state try (and ultimately fail) to convict an antifascist of a crime outside a drag show in 2023, kelly neidert and carlos turcios launched a targeted harassment campaign against me. this is interesting given what i saw in court
the criminal case regarded events that happened when antifascists came to a fort worth restaurant to defend a drag show from kelly neidert and other protesters.

carlos's employer, the dallas express, had a reporter on scene that day who made sure to get images of the arrests
that dallas express reporter was seen chatting with cops, and trying to get photos or video of antifascists arrested and unmasked. the dallas express had also published a misleading story about the drag show in the days before the event Image
Read 17 tweets
Aug 9
day 4 of c's trial recap from my notes 🧵

first and most importantly, c was found not guilty today by a jury who deliberated for less than 45 minutes :)

day 3 recap is linked below if you need to catch up:
we began by taking up objections to the voir dire testimony we heard at the end of yesterday. the court sustained the defense's objections to evidence submitted with the testimony, so the state decided not to call that witness back in front of the jury
the state then called kyle randle, a former member of the christian fascist new columbia movement. he claims he left the group 3 or 4 months ago.

kyle was at the protest that day. kyle is also suing c in a civil trial related to the events of that day keranews.org/news/2023-09-1…
Read 26 tweets
Aug 8
day 3 of c's trial recap from my notes 🧵

day 2 is here:
we began with the jury in the courtroom today, and the state finally called lt. delano, the cop struck by the umbrella during the alleged assault that this trial is about.

he had offered to put a team together for the protest/counterprotest back in 2023.
he was also the one who decided to stage the bike cop unit inside (where they ate pizza) so that their presence wouldn't "incite" the two sides of the protest.

he didn't wear a body cam that day. he said it "turned out" the body cam was in his vehicle that day.
Read 28 tweets
Jul 18
kieran padraig morris of patriot front has started or joined a new active club in nctx, called the lone star active club. he and thomas rousseau appear in a video with their faces unblurred. video shows the club sparring in a fort worth park.

nazi chuds in a smelly locker room
tiny nazi thomas rousseau
fort worth park sign
active clubs are white nationalist groups that practice "leaderless resistance" and train in kickboxing, mma, and other combat sports. there are a few active clubs already spread around texas, including in houston rollingstone.com/politics/polit…
recently, an active club in parker county (just west of fort worth), dissolved. some members were added to the houston area alamo active club
Read 11 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(