Renee DiResta Profile picture
Mar 31, 2023 5 tweets 2 min read Read on X
People say a lot of crazy things on the internet; I usually ignore it. But today, after nearly a full month of being smeared by Michael Shellenberger, including in sworn Congressional testimony, I’m releasing some files of my own.

reneediresta.substack.com/p/fiction-vs-r…
I’d been chatting w/Mike off the record for months. He reached out in Dec, wanted to learn about content moderation. Was adamant ab not doing “gotcha journalism”; I regularly talk to ppl I disagree with. We eventually did Sam Harris. samharris.org/podcasts/makin…
Then, when asked to testify ab the Twitter Files, he wrote a surreal statement smearing me as a deep state "government-funded censor" bogeyman. This week, he went further on Rogan. He’s sloppy, dishonest, or deceived, but the effect of lies/errors on the target is the same.
So I’m publishing our WhatsApp chats & an interview. Ppl can see what I actually said ab topics he chose to twist my words on, & can also see what he *didn't ask* -despite identifying as a journalist, he didn't even attempt basic checks on wild claims until after publishing.
Baseless smears and sensational theories aren’t journalism, but I imagine they do move Substack subs. If you’re a subscriber to Public, you deserve better.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Renee DiResta

Renee DiResta Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @noUpside

Feb 23, 2023
🧵Interesting Facebook’s adversarial threat report today: 4 disinformation networks: 🇷🇺Russia (Ukraine-related), 🇷🇸Serbia, 🇨🇺Cuba, 🇧🇴Bolivia.

Some were pretty big, state-linked but w/mercenary component (paid operators), $$$ ad spend.

Some thoughts... about.fb.com/news/2023/02/m…
First: despite recent attempts to fake-newsify the very word “disinformation” lately - part of a concerted effort to reassociate it w/content moderation battles in the US culture war - it remains a real thing, a real problem, and a real challenge for social media companies.
Second: All 3 besides 🇷🇺 were domestic disinfo campaigns linked to govts against opposition party. Astroturf & fronts but some also incorporated real participants. Global problem. Real stakes. Image
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(