Keir Harding Profile picture
Apr 25, 2023 19 tweets 8 min read Read on X
🧵A big part of trying to make the #RCOTCasson lecture bigger than ever was trying to get it outside of where it would normally be talked about.

I asked "It the Casson lecture being talked about on the BBC too ambitious?" @BBCNews @BBCWalesNews Image
It turns out that it was too ambitious, but with two days to go, let's have a look if there's anything that could hook the media in for a wider discussion.
Firstly lets get nationalistic - A Welshman, in Wales delivering the professions highlight lecture in honour of a Welsh doctor with record attendance on its bicentennial anniversary. @BBCNews @BBCWales Image
To get a bit more local, it's not just a Welshman, it's a Wrexham person and there's lots going on in Wrexham at the moment...
@WalesOnline Image
Then there's the content. Firstly (and I don't think this is a big hook but who knows) there's how important relationships are and things in services can damage them. Image
As @DrChloeBeale wrote, sometimes it seems our systems are designed to harm. We pretend that what is on offer is the best people can get though, and this hurts staff (and patients) Image
In the review of the mental health act @WesselyS wrote about how staff make decisions based on fear rather than the best interests of patients. That damages relationships too.

thelancet.com/journals/lanps…
News might be interested in how fear of raising concerns means staff have to tolerate seeing people being harmed. The @BBCNews wrote this a while back Image
My experience of raising concerns when I felt people were being harmed was getting absolutely ripped apart and silenced. That a decent personal interest story.
Also, there's loads of staff groups striking but we're only talking about pay and not conditions.

50% of jnr Drs experiencing extreme stress
Paramedics watching people die in 40 ambulance queues.
1/4 of OTs looking to quit in 5 years...
We need to think about making services people want to stay working in, not paying them a bit and hoping they tolerate it better.
13% of the NHS mental health workforce left last year.

22000 nurse left the NMC register.

We need to fix this and it isn't (just) more pay.

Staff are morally injured, frightened and frightened to talk about it. Image
We forget about the environment that's intolerable and focus on the individual.

The BBC told us.. @BBCNews Image
That's a lot of people. Of those people, those with the probable mental disorder were those living in poverty who were unsure they could eat.

Is worry about not being able to eat a mental disorder? 😕
Further, self harm in children is rising. The risk of suicide increases significantly if you self harm.

Is the younger generation in greater danger of dying by their own hand than any previously?
Is there something in our society impacting on our children or should they just work on their resilience? Image
Our neoliberal society emphasises individualism and a response to the increasing gap between rich and poor is to tell people they are ill. We try to help then send people back to the environment that caused their difficulties. Image
And this is a choice. We don't have to live like this. I'd argue that some people won't survive us living like this and the biggest casualties will be our children.

This environment has to change. DMs open. Happy to talk more.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Keir Harding

Keir Harding Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Keirwales

Jul 7
So what do I want from a new government in the world of mental health?

Well, 8500 new people working in mental health. Why is that?

news.sky.com/story/sir-keir…
That's important because the community mental health teams I worked in 10 years ago were drowning in the demand THEN. With the workforce dropping, those who remained have done less with less. Image
The focus on child mental health is important too and it's good to hear them talking about the appalling waiting lists for desperate children and families
google.com/amp/s/amp.theg…
Read 12 tweets
Oct 10, 2023
It is #WorldMentalHealthDay with a focus on Mental Health being a universal human right.

If you're struggling, remember to ask for help. Image
When you ask for help, you'll be joining a fifth of all 16 year old girls in the country:

"16-year-old girls are most likely to be in contact with NHS mental health services - with 22.8% of the population (69,580) having been in contact with these services during 2021-22" Image
You'll also find a notional emergency going on with 1 in 5 mental health nurses vacancies unfilled in the NHS

theguardian.com/society/2023/o…
Read 7 tweets
Sep 23, 2023
Thanks to @BPDFFS @Girl_Interrupt_ and @HoppyPelican for pointing me at this. I don't understand it very well, but I'm going to spell out what I don't understand and what I'm wondering about...
The diagnosis of personality disorder has changed. There are no 'types' any more, just personality disorder mild/moderate/severe. This paper looked at whether you could use honos scores to measure that severity.
This is what a honos section on self harm looks like.. Image
Read 17 tweets
Jul 23, 2023
Here's a thread no one has asked for looking at this from the recent #RCPsychIC conference. Is it BPD or CPTSD?

Let's have a look 👇👇👇
The slide is citing this paper so we shall dive in and see what they say...

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P…
The paper says BPD and CPTSD/PTSD are different. There is a lot of overlap though

29% of people with cptsd met criteria for BPD.
25-58% of those dxed with BPD met criteria for ptsd
Read 20 tweets
Jun 23, 2023
And so we come to the end of the day marking 20 years since No Longer A Diagnosis of Exclusion

Some great people there 🙂

Some reflections on the day...

@HoppyPelican @MEAMcoalition @KKaurWilson @AlexStirzaker @DrSRanote @skalidindi1 @KKaurWilson @NationalKufHub
We looked at some great beacon services. We agreed there was much that could help. We acknowledged the prejudice and discrimination.

This is the same as 20 years ago.
We didn't explore why the stigma and discrimination was still there. Why the recommendations of NLADOE couldn't be followed.

(and if we hadn't had the 'thorn in the flesh' incident, I'm not sure we'd have been here today).
Read 15 tweets
Jun 23, 2023
Second session kicks off with @BIG_SPD presidents @OliverDale10 and Julia Blazdell talking about where there were when No Longer a Diagnosis of Exclusion came out

"Rampant discrimination and prejudice"
These were the recommendations from 2003 👇👇👇
"If you haven't done KUF do it"*

Other co produced training is available 👍beamconsultancy.co.uk/training
Read 10 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(